saving receipts?

sherrle

i really have a serious problem with going to mac. instead of making one big haul i usually go around once a week and spend $30-$60. it definately adds up. i went to the mall yesterday and wanted to see if sephora had any relatively cheap crease brushes, i wasn't impressed with anything so i wandered over to mac and end up picking up the 219, fix+, and eye kohl in permaplum.

i always end up feeling slightly remorseful. i'm 23 and have a fairly good paying job, but i just got an apartment and need a lot of stuff, plus i haven't saved any money at all.

anyway, now i'm just rambling. i was just thinking last night when i added my goodies to my collection that i had a couple bags and receipts from my mac adventures from the last two weeks. i think i'm going to start saving all of my receipts, it would be interesting (and kind of painful) to see how much i've actually spent on all of this stuff. does anyone else do this?

gigglegirl

I hear you, I do the smaller-haul things but go usually more than twice a month, spending b/w 50-100 a time. In my mind its less painful if its in this range rather than $200 at once (yes I know there isn't any logic--when you spend it, you spend it!). I do throw the receipts in with my empty boxes but I don't add up how much I spend that way. I used to use a database but now have reverted to excel where I list all the items I have, what date I bought them, colours, etc and can easily go: okay 5 PaintpotsX$20 a piece=100, and so on. But that gets a bit depressing...so I stopped calculating that, just keep track of my inventory!

delidee32

I know how you feel. The last time I went to Mac I was only suppose to spend about $50 dollars, well needless to say I spent 3 times that amount. I felt so guilty when I walked out the store.
th_dunno.gif

MsButterfli

sigh i have an envelope full of receipts, helps me transfer my stuff my inventory sheet i have on the computer

CantAffordMAC

I hardly ever go to MAC, for the same reason. I'm trying hard to get an apartment (theres nothing under $800 here) and I actually might be counting on my boyfriend to save that money up, but I'm saving money left and right to pay for furniture, dishes, pots/pans, bed, etc. Its hard being a girl thats into makeup lol...I've only been to MAC like twice in 2007 to purchase foundation and concealer.

Maybe saving the receipts will help you put an end to it. I wish you the best of luck. Maybe buying things that people are selling/swapping here would help save money, instead of going to MAC? I'd even try ebay (not everything is counterfeit). Good luck..I know it'll be hard, but you can do it. Just think of how sad you'll be in a brand new apartment with absolutely no furniture.
cutey.gif
lol

newagetomatoz

I agree completely with you. Every time I go to my MAC counter or Sephora, since I only get to go there once every few months I spend way more than I intend. But since I discovered Specktra and the Clearance Bin, my MAC expenditure quadrupled!

One day, I decided to go through my banking transactions (I just debit everything) and found I spent about $690 since August on MAC. At first I felt so nauseous and guilty, and I kind of still do.

When ever I periodically check my balance, I know why it's not higher, and the guilt sets in.

Though this is not an excuse, it sort of justifies how I feel. Some people go out to dinner and spent $70-90 on food and drink (like my father), but after that meal, it's gone. With my MAC collection, I know I'll have it for a while. I guess it is all about level of importance.

But maybe try taping the receipts to the back of a door or on a wall that you see often to remind you of what you already rewarded yourself with!

lovejt*

I save all my receipts then clear it out every now and then. It's amazing to see how much I shop :S

user46

ugh, if i did that, i'd be soo guilty. i got to mac maybe ... 2wice a month, but i buy MAC (for sale bin, ebay) like .. once a week
ssad.gif
i lost my job so its much much harder to buy makeup, but id never save the receipts, just in case my mom or boyfriend finds it, lol

Danapotter

I save all of my MAC receipts in a box. Same with my Sephora receipts. I dunno why, I just do. Sometimes, I look through them to see where all the items I bought ended up (returned, swapped sold, etc)

:dance:

sherrle

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagetomatoz
I agree completely with you. Every time I go to my MAC counter or Sephora, since I only get to go there once every few months I spend way more than I intend. But since I discovered Specktra and the Clearance Bin, my MAC expenditure quadrupled!

One day, I decided to go through my banking transactions (I just debit everything) and found that in about $690 since August on MAC. At first I felt so nauseous and guilty, and I kind of still do.

When ever I periodically check my balance, I know why it's not higher, and the guilt sets in.

Though this is not an excuse, it sort of justifies how I fee. Some people go out to dinner and spent $70-90 on food and drink (like my father), but after that meal, it's gone. With my MAC collection, I know I'll have it for a while. I guess it is all about level of importance.

But maybe try taping the receipts to the back of a door or on a wall that you see often to remind you of what you already rewarded yourself with!

yeahhhhh, i just went through my debit and credit card statements, i've spent $727 since like the middle of august. that's not including around $100 and sephora and a couple ebay purchases. that is nuts. almost a grand in 3 months.

people spend a lot of money on stupid shit though, although many people would say makeup is stupid/excessive. but, it makes me happy and its something that will last. some days doing makeup is my favorite part of the day. i've never really had a hobby or been interested in something like this, except for music.

everyone has their weaknesses, afterall....i've never been a big shoe person.

but still.....eeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

ledonatella

I save all mine because they are tax deductable, if I spend $5000 a year for work related reasons. So I do keep every last one as well as all my Sephora and Macy's, Dillards, etc. beauty receipts.

MACa6325xi

I save all of my MAC receipts and I have quite a few lying around these days in case I decide to return something if I don't like it. I have spent so much on MAC this year that I don't want to even think about it. My husband has asked me about all these MAC bags in the bedroom, family room, and kitchen. I just laugh. Oh well, I have worked hard for my MAC and I don't drink, smoke, do Starbucks, etc. But I guess I do have a MAC addiction. Anyone interested in starting a program to those of us who are addicted to MAC?

aeni

I save them all for insurance/tax deduction and inventory. And they're anything and everything to do with makeup.

MAC doesn't suck me in really b/c I realize that color theory helps tons. Instead of buying a dark blue shadow, I can just add a little carbon.

Jot

i keep my receipts and i have no idea why. i also have a list of what i've bought and when and how much. its horrifying! Plus i still want more!

BunnyBunnyBunny

So I added up reciepts from all this year and the last few weeks of last year. And the total was $2,200. And I think I should be stopped. My reign of terror on my bank account needs to be over!! And that isn't even ALL of it. I can't seem to find my reciepts for Barbie and Balloonacy...

lethaldesign

Nope, don't save my receipts. After I balance my check book &have used the items, the receipts go in the trash. I do, however, save all the boxes. And I have an Excel spreadsheet holding the inventory of my collection.

MiCHiE

I have just about all of my reciepts in a MAC bag. I've never added them up. I know it's a lot, but I see it this way: I'm not starving, in debt or otherwise hurting for anything. My bank accounts are in tact and my savings is up to par. Therefore, I have no reason to feel guilty about or regret my MAC (and other) purchases.

courters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥MiCHiE♥
I have just about all of my reciepts in a MAC bag. I've never added them up. I know it's a lot, but I see it this way: I'm not starving, in debt or otherwise hurting for anything. My bank accounts are in tact and my savings is up to par. Therefore, I have no reason to feel guilty about or regret my MAC (and other) purchases.

I totally agree! I used to feel bad, but I never spend more than I have. I even have a "shopping budget" built in to my monthly budget and I include my MAC purchases in there. I don't live by a counter or store anymore, so that has really cut down on my purchases.

DH likes videogames (which are SO expensive!) and I like MAC, so we all have our vices!
winks.gif