Shop-a-holism - It's ruining my life!

CandiGirl21

Re: Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I think shopping can be a real addiction because it does give you that instant rewarding feeling that we attribute to owning material things. I think if it does go too far, you might want to discuss it with someone and actually get some help. It can lead to a world of financial messiness.

Go on a spending diet - budget a realistic and not too extravagant amount that you can afford to spend each day, and don't carry more money than the allotted amount in your wallet, including your cards. That might help to wean you off the shopping escapades without going cold turkey.

Something to add randomly: I haven't purchased any new clothes in about 3 or 4 months and honestly, I don't even miss it. It def makes me realize that we don't need all that crap...

I have more lip products and nail polishes than jeans... sad!
nope.gif

putrikardinal

i cant even finish reading all of the posts in this thread!!
not because i cbf to.. but because its like im reading people's posts talking about MY problems! its crazy. and scaryyy
sick.gif

rshutt

I think I would also be addicted to shopping if I hadn't decided to set up a monthly spending plan. I am only allowed to spend $150 a month on clothes and accessories and I manage to stick to it. Otherwise I would be broke or highly indebted. I often look at a shop window at some great pants or jackets but I can resist although I am close to tears sometimes.

Lauren1981

your whole post had me laughing
tong.gif

BUT, i understand that you feel this is a serious issue, which it is. it sounds like you're impulse shopping. i know that in my HEAD i'll see things on the internet or see commercials and i'm like "oh shit! i need/want that!" and when i get to walmart/bath&body works/sephora i have to stop and think REALLY hard and figure out if i actually need it, ya know? it's easier said than done. for me i had to make a conscious effort to help my problem. for example, i have baked from UD, amber lights from MAC, tan pigment from BAC, (which we all know are VERY similar) but if i go to sephora and see that same color in a different brand like mufe i'll be like "oh it's so pretty!!" not even thinking about the fact that i have three of pretty much that same color just by diff brands. but i make myself stop and think "do i really need this? do i not have this at home or something similar to it? will i really use this?"

it's rough. takes practice. but i think with a lot of effort you can do it
winks.gif

my problem is that i love pretty things. period. if it's pretty and appealing to my eyes i feel deep in my soul that i NEED it. lol! i love office supplies already (yeah, i know thats wierd), when i go to office depot or office max i'm there for over an hour looking all the pretty xerox paper that havedesigns on it. i don't even have a f*cking printer. shit, i don't even have a computer to send shit to a printer but will seriously consider buying it because it's pretty paper.......

i hope you can get this under control. you've already acknowledged that you have a problem and need help so i think you'll be okay
winkiss.gif

ForgetRegret

Sweetie, I'm going to apologize now, if this has already been addressed in this thread, but my ADD isn't letting me sit still long enough to read ALL 3 pages..so I'll just post my 2 cents.
I have/had the very same issue...I was broke all the time, but always somehow managed to go shopping, buy a bunch of stuff that I likely didn't need (every once in a while, I actually DID need something...but that was 1 out of the 50 that I'd buy), and then get really depressed, and start feeling guilty. I kept in that pattern for entirely too long...I f*d up my credit, because I kept paying my car payments late, things like that...finally about 2 years ago I started seeing a psych, at first just to talk to, maybe try and work out why I was so unhappy, had such mood swings, and felt the need to buy stuff when I knew I didn't have the money. After a few sessions with him, and putting things together like puzzle pieces, he told me I was Bipolar...not really severe, but severe enough for it to affect my life...to make a long story a little bit shorter than it would be; I've been on medication since then, and once we got me on the RIGHT meds, at the proper dosage, I felt like a normal human being again. One who could resist the urge to spend a ton of money that she didn't have, only to feel guilty about it later.
Sorry for the novel...but I just thought I'd throw that out there...and again, sorry if someone already brought this up.
winks.gif

swaly

Ooh thread merge! I guess I didn't find this when I searched--sorry mods!!

Anyway. Just thought I'd add that since my recent spending spree (I think I spent over $2000 which is a RECORD...I am totally shocked, myself), I have managed to move some money around and pay off more than half my credit card debt. It's not too much (about $3000 in total, including other payments like Netflix and bills), but I got a "dad loan" (no interest! yay! I can pay him off without fear of late fees and stuff) and I have some paychecks coming in. NO MORE SHOPPING. Seriously. I'm cutting down on everything, including groceries. I don't buy clothes ever anyway, so that's out. Generic everything for toilet paper, laundry detergent, rainbow sherbet! No eating out, either. Anyway I'm so so glad I managed to curb my debt before it got really serious...I felt like I was on the brink of falling into utter madness!

Anyhow, thought I'd share that good news with you guys + cheer on the others who are still struggling. You can do it!

Edie

It's been WAY too long since I have checked back here and I re-read all the posts again to refresh myself.

Thank you again everyone for sharing your own stories and advice. I know i'm not the only one to read and take it all in, but I do appreciate it.

So its time for an update!

Like any addiction, I don't think I will ever be truly 'over' it. But I can tell you I have learnt a few things that surely help.

I think it all started to get serious when we had problems with our car and sent it for repairs and due to the fact that we couldn't pay them, they were threatening to kep our car as we couldn't make payments.

So I did what I never thought I would, I put some truly loved items up for sale. From DVDs to makeup. I was able to make payment on my car AND pay off my credit card.

THEN...it started again. I would be at the shops 4-6 times in a week. It was ridiculous. But I convinced myself that I needed to go and get that bag as once I had it, I would not need another bag again as this one fit all my needs. Until the next week where something nicer came to my attention.

Needless to say, my credit card bill went back up (disgusting I know) to preposterous levels!!! And then came the interest.

This is where I completely broke down due to being scared, ashamed and helpless.

The first week was horrible. I had honest withdrawals. I wanted to go to the shops SOOO bad. In order to keep my mind off it, I tried to distract myself as often as I could by doing a combination of the following:
• Selling my precious things on ebay

• Reading...reading instead of heading to the shops at lunch.

• Instead of heading to the shops on the weekend, I walked the dog for longer than usual, I started doing arts n craft type things at home with items around the house (although i did have to purchase craft glue).

• When i did need to go to the shops, I would look in stores and when i saw something I liked, I wouldn't ask myself IF I NEEDED IT! I just TOLD myself that I DIDN'T!! AND WALKED STRAIGHT OUT. I didn't think I had that in me. But I started to think about something else as soon as I left the shop.

• I had a good hard long look at all the makeup I own, I then looked at a few of my pictures where I had makeup on and had an OH MY GOSH moment where I realised that it didn't matter which liquid highlight I used on my cheeks, it did the same thing. No matter if I used the this peach blush or this peach blush, It looked the same. And it didn't matter if I used MAC carbon eyeshadow or the one from my cheapy palette....they ended up...looking the same! I was buying all these things for nothing more than the name...not just the name MAC, but the actual name 'Knight Devine'. WHY this was important? I had no idea. But it was.

• Sadly I stopped looking on specktra and youtube gurus for a while too as I found everyones excitement of a product too hard for me to resist and I would end up going and getting it too.

• Re-arranging my makeup room seemed to always help too as you sort of re-discover your collection.

• Watching the number on my savings instead of my credit card statement rise was the most exciting thing of all.

• I also found that there was something seriously wrong with my mood in general and went to my doctor to see what was going on. He basically said that with what I was eating, It was pretty much like trying to run a car on dirty water. - I was basically destroying my body from the inside out. So, I started eating REALLY healthy, fruits veges, lean meat etc. After a horrifying first week, I found I was feeling better about EVERYTHING. My mood was back to what it was and should be, and found that I didn't feel the want to go to the shops on the weekend, I prefered staying home to prepare meals, go for a run with the puppy, PAINT MY ROOM!! (which is spending money on paint yes, but as it was a necessity it didn't make me feel guilty especially as I knew I hadn't spent my money for over a month!
-------
Also in addition, I stopped drinking diet coke. I was a fiend for it...after about 2 weeks, I didn't feel the hand-shaking need for it anymore, and my craving for sweet things also disappeared which for me an avid-sweet tooth was nothing short of a miracle. I replaced sweet things with fruit which made all the difference.

I think I have rambled on way too much.
ssad.gif
sorry.

The battle is far from over...right now I REALLY want a new computer...but the reality is I can't afford it just yet, but within a few months If I keep putting that money I would waste on unnecessary items, I will be able to.

NutMeg

Wow. It takes a lot of courage to make the kind of changes that you've made, and I have a lot of respect for you for being able to do that.

Edie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg
Wow. It takes a lot of courage to make the kind of changes that you've made, and I have a lot of respect for you for being able to do that.

Thank you so much. Thats a wonderful post for anyone who has done the same. I won't lie and say it was easy. It wasn't, but I think reminding yourself that your the only one who can make the change (regardless of what 'problem' is griping you) and that ultimately making the change will not end or lessen your quality of life, it will only make it better.
winkiss.gif

Oh, and on a last note, I truly believe we all have courage and strength to make changes in our lives, and there is no shame in asking for help.

ForgetRegret

I second NutMeg's statements, and I commend you as well. I know it's hard as hell to stop spending and going to stores and buying things...but it sounds like you're doing REALLY great, and I'm so very happy for you. And congrats on finding a good, natural way to get your mood back to normal, that makes all the difference in the world...I know I always tend to spend tons of money as "therapy" when I'm feeling down.
th_hug.gif
Good for you hunnie...stay with it, you'll be finding gobs of money that you never realized you had.
smiles.gif

Willa

^^^

Omg, I was like... why is she saying that
Then I remembered... hahaha

Yeah... but I love my new pic also <3

Birgit

The other day I went trough my mu and sold the things I never use. I earned over $750 wich I almost entirely spend at the f&f sale! How stupid is that....

Edie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgit
The other day I went trough my mu and sold the things I never use. I earned over $750 wich I almost entirely spend at the f&f sale! How stupid is that....

Well it's better than spending it if you hadn''t sold anything.

Thanks again everyone for the uplifting posts.

Just wanted to add one more thing:

I find this works 95% of the time. When i see something I want. I don't buy it straight away like I ALWAYS used to. I will leave, go home and promise myself that by next weekend, I still can't stop thinking about it, I will go back and get it. 3 things can happen then:
1. I obsess over it for a week and then go back and get it!
2. I can't be assed going back, so I say I'll get it next time...
3. The urge for it lessens and most of the time disappears. <- This shockingly enough is the most common outcome.

HTH
smiles.gif

HeatherLouWho

I can totally sympathize, for me, it's cyclical. I was doing well for years but in the last few months, my addiction to shopping has been very, very, bad. I spent $700 on make-up last month. Somehow, I had convince myself I had spen in the neighborhood of $200. But when you add it up, numbers don't lie. For me, when I know I have binged, I need that slap of reality to snap me out of it. I have been a lot better in the last couple weeks but I need to be better for longer. So my game plan, which has got/kept me on the path to frugality before is this (1) Look at what you are spending your money on. How much are you spending on coffee? Clothes? MAC? Sometimes, you'll be shocked that cutting out one thing can make a big dent. (2) Figure out a budget and get yourself on a shopping diet. (3) Plan your shopping trips. Make a list of things that you need and stick to it. This is often suggested for groceries, but it helps me with other types of shopping too. (i.e. if I know that I need a suit and pair of jeans I won't check out the flirty skirts). Also, plan to go when things are on sale. Take a non-enabling, honest friend (not someone who will tell you it all looks good). Finally, and most importantly, budget and stick to it. (4) Set a goal (I am going to Peru, provided other spending comes under control). (5) When you feel like you are binging, buying to buy, etc....just leave.

We'll beat this!

tepa1974

Re: Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikky
Ditto. I've wasted so much money and am in debt because of this.

Sadly, so have and I keep telling myself everytime that it will be the last time I charge because _______ (fill in the blank from a list of excuses I always come up with).
ssad.gif