Should I even try?????

MACgirl

I was going to apply at a counter but decided the store because i knew alot of people thier, i was hired because i was friendly and outgoing. I think you should give it a try, the worst that can happen is that they will keep you on file, please try you have talent! i was scared to try because of the same reasons, but hey you gotta take a risk soemtimes. good luck and best wishes were here to help you!

prsfynestmami

I think it's so silly how everyone feels intimidated to go apply at a makeup counter/store. Ladies - THIS IS RETAIL, it's not that serious! The girls at my local counter are super stuckup (and for what reason - I don't know why because their counter sucksss), but the ones at the freestanding store are complete sweethearts (well, the ones that I've spoken to). I get the vibe that lots of girls (and MA's) have this attitude that screams "I'm not worthy". Honestly, the only thing that concerns me about applying at a MAC is just the fact that I don't have retail cosmetics experience... aside from that - [and i hate to be blunt] it's a MALL JOB... aka a "stepping stone".

Beautiful1

I Believe That You Should Apply Because I Know I Am LOL! Good Luck Girlie You Are Totally Awesome!
wavey.gif

Life In Return

Isn't it exciting when a MAC MA compliments your makeup ? But I do think you should try. You have some gorgeous artistry there
smiles.gif

lovedust7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
Its a common misconception that the artists/employees at a counter are different from those at a store. The only different between a counter and a store are the obvious differences in location and size, as well as a few items that are store exclusive and not available at counters. No matter if it's a counter or a store, you're representing the same company. The talent and hardwork between artists at a counter and at a store are not different. By undermining counters as being subpar compared to stores is insulting to the artists that work there.

I think you could definitely have a shot. Your FOTDs are great, you have skills for sure. I say go for it.

Maybe so...but a store will always try to hire the best artist in their region with the most experience. Internal job postings make that a breeze. The training will be the same for the artists at either location.

lovedust7

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsfynestmami
I think it's so silly how everyone feels intimidated to go apply at a makeup counter/store. Ladies - THIS IS RETAIL, it's not that serious! The girls at my local counter are super stuckup (and for what reason - I don't know why because their counter sucksss), but the ones at the freestanding store are complete sweethearts (well, the ones that I've spoken to). I get the vibe that lots of girls (and MA's) have this attitude that screams "I'm not worthy". Honestly, the only thing that concerns me about applying at a MAC is just the fact that I don't have retail cosmetics experience... aside from that - [and i hate to be blunt] it's a MALL JOB... aka a "stepping stone".

Your attitude would never make it at MAC. We hire people with a sincere passion for make-up as well as the brand. It is not the location of being in a mall that matters. We get to do make-up on all the celebrities when they come to town as well as participate in Fashion
week etc. We certainly don't need anyone who thinks they are "above" the rest of us. And you would be surprised at the amount of money we make after a few promotions and true dedications. Most of us do not work for some @ 17.00 and hr.

baby_love

Quote:
Its a common misconception that the artists/employees at a counter are different from those at a store. The only different between a counter and a store are the obvious differences in location and size, as well as a few items that are store exclusive and not available at counters. No matter if it's a counter or a store, you're representing the same company. The talent and hardwork between artists at a counter and at a store are not different. By undermining counters as being subpar compared to stores is insulting to the artists that work there.

I think you could definitely have a shot. Your FOTDs are great, you have skills for sure. I say go for it.

I don't think I could agree more.

pinkfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsfynestmami
So I'm thinking of applying. Experience = No portfolio, just a few weddings, proms and pageants. Five+ years of retail experience in sales. Do you think I should inquire next time I'm at the store?
Be honest with me y'all - is my makeup good enough to get on board?

I know someone who got hired at mac just working 2/3 months at a regular makeup counter - no other experience so its possible.

Nycutie182

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedust7
Your attitude would never make it at MAC. We hire people with a sincere passion for make-up as well as the brand. It is not the location of being in a mall that matters. We get to do make-up on all the celebrities when they come to town as well as participate in Fashion
week etc. We certainly don't need anyone who thinks they are "above" the rest of us. And you would be surprised at the amount of money we make after a few promotions and true dedications. Most of us do not work for some @ 17.00 and hr.

I don't think she thinks she is "above the rest" of you. She's asking whether or not she should even apply. However your post implies that you feel MAC employees are "above" the rest. This attitude is sometimes given off by MAC MAs to the customers and thats terrib;e for customer service. A customer shouldn't ever feel like they're not good enought to shop somewhere. She'd rather not work in the mall, and thats fine. That's her preference. She didn't says she was too good for the mall, but rather that she viewed it as a "stepping stone." She is also correct that it is "just retail". MA's may [or may not for that matter] have a passion for makeup, but it is still a job/career & part of business.

back on topic:
I think your FOTD's that I've seen are very well done. I would definately encourage you to apply! If I had enough talent I would without hesitation. Good luck if you do decide to apply!

gigiproductions

Quote:

and thats awesome as a life career? not for nothing it is RETAIL..i too look at it as a stepping stone but im not going to do retail forever
(matter of fact i will never do retail again in my life thank god i dont have to)..

what counts is what you do after MAC..a lot of MA's i know go on to be professionals and do video shoots and movies etc..thats what matters..just cuz u do fashion week or an ocassional celeb here and there doesnt mean you are set for life..like i said if u can take it above and beyond MAC and make it into a business for yourself then thats where its at.and thats what ur focus should be once u get into MAC..get all the training u can and if ur truly talented get out and make money for yourself not for the company.

.im sorry but i would never even for a sec tolerate a holier than thou attitude from any MA..I would put them in their place so fast LOL

mama go apply..i say go for it,,make some side cash while u go for ur real career etc.

professionaltart

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe so...but a store will always try to hire the best artist in their region with the most experience. Internal job postings make that a breeze. The training will be the same for the artists at either location.

Agreed.

That and the work at a freestanding is like tenfold than that of a counter. So perhaps the suggestion of working at a counter rather than a store was more of a time suggestion etc etc. I know freestanding girls & boys have high sales goals and PIT AUS etc etc. I'm going to say there is a slight difference in artists between stores and counters but thats just from experience and seeing who is getitng hired at stores and not counters.

ANyway Feather i think u should go for it.

MisStarrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by professionaltart
Agreed.

That and the work at a freestanding is like tenfold than that of a counter. So perhaps the suggestion of working at a counter rather than a store was more of a time suggestion etc etc. I know freestanding girls & boys have high sales goals and PIT AUS etc etc. I'm going to say there is a slight difference in artists between stores and counters but thats just from experience and seeing who is getitng hired at stores and not counters.

ANyway Feather i think u should go for it.

It is true that there's tons more work at a freestanding than a counter. You're responsible for the garbage & floors & stuff as well as probably twice as much product, and almost always, a freestanding store a higher volume store so the goals are a lot higher ($1,019 compared to $580 average at the two I work at)

But as far as the artists go-the only difference between the 2 places I work is the girls at the freestanding stores are a bit more trendier-because MAC dress code allows it while there is only so much you can get away with at Macy's. The artists are just as good....I actually think some of my counter girls & boys are much more talented and since it's not as busy are better able to take more time with each customer.

giz2000

It also depends on the counter...some of the South Fla counters are 2+ millon dollar counters...the goals on any given Saturday can be in the 1000-1,500 range per artist...depending on if there is an event or not.

As for retail just being retail (and I am not defending retail at all...because I can't stand it)...I know people who have made a career of retail and pull in upwards of $150,000/year...

Chrissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life In Return
Isn't it exciting when a MAC MA compliments your makeup ? But I do think you should try. You have some gorgeous artistry there
smiles.gif

That has happened to me every week for the past 3 weeks. Everytime I have gone to my local counter I have had one of the MA's compliment my make up, ask what I was wearing, ask how I got pro products (I am in Scotland, nowhere to get pro stuff), call other MA's over to see my make up etc...I have also had a few of them ask me if I would ever like to work for MAC. I would love to go for it, but don't think I have the confidence unfortunately.

pugmommy7

"Its a common misconception that the artists/employees at a counter are different from those at a store. The only different between a counter and a store are the obvious differences in location and size, as well as a few items that are store exclusive and not available at counters. No matter if it's a counter or a store, you're representing the same company. The talent and hardwork between artists at a counter and at a store are not different. By undermining counters as being subpar compared to stores is insulting to the artists that work there."

Beautifully said. My Nordie's Mac mua's are equal in expertise to the ones in the MAC store down the "mall"way.