Should she sue?

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukiyomi
Question though, why in the world would she wear that to a doctor's appointment? O_O

What's so odd with her wearing that outfit to a doctor's appointment? Is there something called proper attire to wear to a doctor's office? OT: but I think her outfit is cute and I've worn something very similar to what she wore on her flight. To go to campus, to go the shopping mall, to the bars, etc. Frankly, she's covered up a lot more than what I see other girls wear these days.

MACATTAK

Quote:
and a free roundtrip flight in first class.

I don't think SW offers first class anything???
hmm.gif

righteothen

Compared to some of the outfits I see on people my age, that is nothing. That said, I don't think she should sue. Asking for an apology, and getting a lawyer, are fine, because what the flight attendant did was wrong. If there was something wrong with her outfit, she should have been told what part (and she did ask, according to her).

Also, if that attire was not appropriate for an airplane, why was she allowed through security with it on?

Obviously, we aren't being told the entire story. Maybe she thought she asked what was wrong, but didn't. Maybe the outfit that she claimed she was wearing actually did show cleavage, or maybe her underwear was visible on the backside of her skirt. People tend to make themselves out to be completely without wrong when a problem like this arises, and I doubt this is not one of those situations.

Still, the fact that she was allowed to fly back with that outfit shows that at the very least, the problem that was there on the flight to the doctor's was fixed before the flight home.

tsukiyomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipshock
What's so odd with her wearing that outfit to a doctor's appointment? Is there something called proper attire to wear to a doctor's office? OT: but I think her outfit is cute and I've worn something very similar to what she wore on her flight. To go to campus, to go the shopping mall, to the bars, etc. Frankly, she's covered up a lot more than what I see other girls wear these days.

It seems to me that it's not a very appropriate outfit for a doctor's appointment, that is all.

tsukiyomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
I don't think SW offers first class anything???
hmm.gif

No they don't. I looked. Well, in that case, TWO roundtrip tickets. LOL.

tsukiyomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by righteothen
Compared to some of the outfits I see on people my age, that is nothing. That said, I don't think she should sue. Asking for an apology, and getting a lawyer, are fine, because what the flight attendant did was wrong. If there was something wrong with her outfit, she should have been told what part (and she did ask, according to her).

Also, if that attire was not appropriate for an airplane, why was she allowed through security with it on?

Obviously, we aren't being told the entire story. Maybe she thought she asked what was wrong, but didn't. Maybe the outfit that she claimed she was wearing actually did show cleavage, or maybe her underwear was visible on the backside of her skirt. People tend to make themselves out to be completely without wrong when a problem like this arises, and I doubt this is not one of those situations.

Still, the fact that she was allowed to fly back with that outfit shows that at the very least, the problem that was there on the flight to the doctor's was fixed before the flight home.

That's true. That might not even be the outfit she was wearing...you know? We don't know all the details but from what I can see, she shouldn't sue. That's just ignorant.

MACATTAK

Quote:
No they don't. I looked. Well, in that case, TWO roundtrip tickets. LOL.

Ha ha! Yeah I agree with you! It's hard enough getting peanuts on SW
rofl.gif

faifai

I saw her on some morning show with Matt Lauer and I was absolutely baffled as to why Southwest found her outfit inappropriate. It looks exactly like what most college students wear on a daily basis (actually, maybe if you take away the shrug, then it'd be more accurate hahaha). I feel like either we're not being told the whole story (like she wasn't wearing panties, or her shirt was tugged down/scrunched up to show maximum boobie/exposed tummy action, or her shrug wasn't buttoned, or something) or Southwest has just got random fashion police on their airplanes who were acting on their own whims.

On the morning show they were clear to point out a letter the show had received from Southwest officials, which stated that the airlines actually has no dress code policy. Therefore, they had no right to tell the girl to cover up when another passenger complained. Aside from the fact that there doesn't seem to be anything actually indecent/obscene about her outfit, Southwest says in its own policies that there isn't any dress code! I have no idea what would prompt them to tell a passenger to cover up or else, it seems like PR suicide.

astronaut

Heard of this just slightly, but I had no idea it was Southwest from San Diego! I fly Southwest from San Diego to Sacramento and vise versa. I never would have suspected. Her outfit's pretty proper for San Diego attire. It's hot as hell down here! I personally would have ditched the cardigan (well maybe not where a mini skirt though because I don't like wearing mini shorts, skirts, anythings). If she wasn't wearing underwear and her vajayjay was showing then I'd understand...

3jane

Quote:
Question though, why in the world would she wear that to a doctor's appointment? O_O

Not sure if it's all that inappropriate, especially considering the weather. For example, if she's getting a procedure done where there's minimal physical contact (eg bloodwork, or an eye exam, etc) or her doctor is female, would it be as weird? Or, on the other hand, what if she knew she'd have to change into a hospital gown anyway. The point being, we don't know the situation, but if she felt comfortable wearing that to her doctor's, I don't see why she'd have to wear something particularly conservative.

Shimmer

Quote:
It seems to me that it's not a very appropriate outfit for a doctor's appointment, that is all.

There's nothing WRONG with that outfit. She's dressed. She's covered. She's sitting down in one of the pics and she's covered.
SW said that someone complained to the flight attendants and that's why she was spoken to regarding her outfit. Other people need to keep their morality to themselves unless it's a blatant issue (i.e. she got on the plane in pasties in a g-string), in my opinion.
It's one thing to disapprove of the outfit and not allow my daughter to wear it, and another thing entirely to complain to the airline and have the airline either remove her from the plane or cause some other ridiculous delay.

kattpl

No way!!! Her skirt was way to short!!! Just not appropriate for flying or any appointment that's outside of a bar.......

Kath

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerhead
Should she sue? No. Respect the comapny's prudent wishes and move on, why do you deserve stacks of money?

There's not a formal dress code. There are no 'prudent wishes' of the company.
I find it funny you say this though, because had someone complained about a male in makeup on the flight, and the male been asked to remove it or get off the plane, you'd be supremely offended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattpl
No way!!! Her skirt was way to short!!! Just not appropriate for flying or any appointment that's outside of a bar.......

Kath

Are you kidding?

Love Always Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
There's nothing WRONG with that outfit. She's dressed. She's covered. She's sitting down in one of the pics and she's covered.
SW said that someone complained to the flight attendants and that's why she was spoken to regarding her outfit. Other people need to keep their morality to themselves unless it's a blatant issue (i.e. she got on the plane in pasties in a g-string), in my opinion.
It's one thing to disapprove of the outfit and not allow my daughter to wear it, and another thing entirely to complain to the airline and have the airline either remove her from the plane or cause some other ridiculous delay.

i agree. i sure as hell dont like peoples screaming children on planes but that doesnt give me grounds to have them thrown off a plane.

"i dont like her outfit throw her out"
"i dont like that he's gay. throw him out" ......?
"i dont like that she's asian. throw her out" ....?

whoever complained about this girls outfit... whatever they found it offensive in some way. we all find stuff offensive but its called life and you deal with it. its just a plane ride.

flowerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
There's not a formal dress code. There are no 'prudent wishes' of the company.
I find it funny you say this though, because had someone complained about a male in makeup on the flight, and the male been asked to remove it or get off the plane, you'd be supremely offended.

Are you kidding?

Oh whatever! I would be extremely offended as I expect she is, but I still dont think she deserves any compensation for something so trivial. Sue a company if something physically harmed you, not because they threw you out for wearing a miniskirt...
She can get another areoplane with a company that isn't backwards and wear whatever she likes...

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerhead
Oh whatever! I would be extremely offended as I expect she is, but I still dont think she deserves any compensation for something so trivial

There's no whatever, because the situation very well could happen. By saying it's 'whatever', you're also saying you'd be a huge hypocrite were you to seek compensation in a comparable situation.
You're saying you wouldn't seek compensation for being embarrassed in front of a flight of people? You wouldn't seek compensation for being singled out because of a perceived difference from the mainstream ideal (which, btw, she looked like every other college girl I see)? You're saying you wouldn't want ANYTHING for your discomfort?
Really?

I call BS.

To address your edit:

Indeed not. She was on a flight to be in Arizona for a couple of hours, then fly back, because she had a doctor's appointment in Arizona. Taking another flight after being told to buy something from the gift shop could cost her the appointment, create health issues (we don't know her health status, looks CAN be and usually ARE deceiving in that matter) for her, and cost her money due to missed appointments.

All because some random stranger on a plane nominated him or her self the morality police?

No.

flowerhead

Hmm....I can see where you're coming from, I just dont think it's really that awful, just very inconvinent and abit 19th century...
If she sues I just hope she doesn't get too much,I doubt this incident would have drastically changed her life.