Should she sue?

ms.marymac

Indeed, but the company has no such policy.
smiles.gif

I'm not saying not wearing panties is tasteful, I'm just saying that it doesn't merit, particularly when there are no policies in place, her being removed from the flight.[/QUOTE

At least put a towel down...
lol.gif

melliquor

I think she should sue because it was harassment and make an example out of SW. I don't think she should get any money but if they aren't even offering an apology... she should do it. It is her business what she wants to wear. She wasn't naked.

What else are they going to discriminate against and not allow on a plane. Other people in the topic has mentioned lots of other examples but they could really start being select and not let young people or somebody with tattoos. If they don't like the way you look, you can't fly with them. I think it should be stopped now before it gets out of hand.

jillianjiggs

just wanted to let everyone know that this is going to be on dr phil tomorrow. from the looks of the previews, he thinks its ridiculous that she is going to sue (even after getting an apology from the CEO)

check it out if you are interested
smiles.gif
there will probably be some details on there that are left out of the article.

aziza

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerhead
If she sues I just hope she doesn't get too much,I doubt this incident would have drastically changed her life.

But it'll teach SW a big ass lesson.

Shimmer

the time to refuse service is NOT when she's on the plane preparing for departure. It's at the gate, or at the time of ticket purchase.

ShexyKristin

I don't know about suing but that stupid airline was in the wrong for sure. Maybe a formal apology or something.

BeautyPsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
the time to refuse service is NOT when she's on the plane preparing for departure. It's at the gate, or at the time of ticket purchase.

I don't think so... but then again, I may be wrong
hmm.gif

My prof. told me she can't sue...

Beauty Mark

You can sue for whatever reason you want in this country. I could probably find a lawyer who'd let me sue you because your username has the word "Beauty" in it like mine.

It just depends on if you have legal ground.

With these suits, I imagine some people are going to be concerned about flying Southwest. Not for moral reasons but wondering if they're going to be targeted to get kicked off/held up.

vina

she definately deserves an apology! I loathe southwest and will never use this airline for their shitty customer service

Raerae

I personally dont find anything wrong with her outfit.

However, how she was dressed in the tv interview and how she was dressed on the plane was a little different from what I heard. From what I heard, she was doing the whole showing the tummy and was showing more boobage. And when she wore the skirt in the interview, it was pulled down a lot more than it was when she was on the plane. So what she showed on tv was how she adjusted her outfit after being asked to get off the plane, which I find fine. Not how she appeared when she was originally asked to de-plane, which was a bit more sexed up. I find that fine as well.

As far as is it ok for her to be asked to adjust her outfit, or get off the plane? I dunno, i lean to yes. Only because it's their service and they can make requests of passengers who are riding their plane. Just because you buy a ticket doesn't entitle you to do whatever you want on the plane. I think it was perfectly fine for them to ask her to cover her stomache, pull down her skirt, and put a blanket over her legs. It's really not that big of a deal. She can pull up her skirt/top after she gets off. Chances are it ended up being a bigger deal then it had to be because she made a dramatic scene over the entire thing. If she had just asked for a blanket from the flight attendant, no one would have noticed.

And if her kitty was showing, than yes, I think the flight attendant was well within her bounds to ask her to cover herself a little. Yeh wearing panties isn't required by law, but lets be realistic. If your skirt is that short to where it's clearly visible, throw on a blanket for the flight. Chances are your gonna be cold on the plane anyways.

As far as should she sue? No. Thats overly dramatic. I'm all for letting people dress like sluts, i do it myself. But sometimes, there are consiquences that go along with choosing to dress a little sexy, when no one else is.

adela88

her outfit is just the same as the kinda stuff that all the young brits wear in summer.The trend here was hotpants/mini shorts and wedges.
maybe the US is more conservative.

ratmist

Hurt feelings don't entitle one to stacks of cash. An apology certainly, if she really was treated badly. I personally don't think there's anything wrong in someone being asked to cover up. There's a line somewhere that has to be drawn, and if she was on that borderline, then the steward felt obliged to make the call.

Isn't there a clause in most airline tickets that basically says they can throw you off for almost any reason if they feel they need to? Maybe they genuinely thought she was being offensive by being inappropriately dressed. I think a blanket and a quiet word would've sufficed though, and they shouldn't have let her board without first explaining to her that her attire was considered inadmissable for the flight, giving her a chance to rectify or argue her case before the flight was due to take off. It definitely could've been handled more discretely, but that that alone isn't really grounds to sue, in my opinion.

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I think it's dumb they threw her off

They didn't throw her off the flight. She took her flight as scheduled and returned as scheduled. The only difference was the warning before the outgoing flight and the alleged compliment she received for the return flight. Southwest's statement seems to imply they received a complaint and therefore their employee was forced to address the concern. Seems like she offended someone - probably a customer - on the flight and the airline had no choice to deal with it.

I'm just still surprised she wore the same outfit on the way back. If it had happened to me, I wouldn't have risked the same embarassment again. It makes me wonder if she was really complimented on the return flight or not. I don't contest her right to wear whatever she wants. I just don't think it's wrong to ask someone to cover up if they or others are uncomfortable. I'm a big believer in "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Only because it's their service and they can make requests of passengers who are riding their plane.

But what happens when they decide only one Muslim at a time can ride on a plane?

I think it boils down to whether a plane is consisted a public domain. If it is, as long as you're within the normal dress code of society (Ie. you're not prancing about nude), it should be fine. If it's private, they should publicize their policies on dresscode

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
But what happens when they decide only one Muslim at a time can ride on a plane?

I think it boils down to whether a plane is consisted a public domain. If it is, as long as you're within the normal dress code of society (Ie. you're not prancing about nude), it should be fine. If it's private, they should publicize their policies on dresscode

I agree with this 100000000000000000%.

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark

This is much worse, in my opinion, and it's getting worse as time goes on and media hypes up tensions between Muslims and non-Muslims. Here's an example from just last month:
"Concerned passenger on delayed flight contradicts airline's account"
By Debbi Farr Baker
UNION-TRIBUNE BREAKING NEWS TEAM
2:36 p.m. August 31, 2007
SAN DIEGO

Leigh Robbins, 35, of Richmond, Va., said she got off American Airlines Flight 590 bound for Chicago Tuesday night rather than take the flight with seven Middle Eastern men onboard. She said their behavior made her nervous, and that she was scared for herself and her sons.

The airline said on Wednesday that returning the plane to the gate to let her off caused a delay that prevented the plane from taking off before the airport's 11:30 p.m. curfew. But, according to Robbins, “The plane never left the terminal with me in it.” She said she was on the jet for less than five minutes, that the flight attendants had not yet given their safety talk when she got off. As proof, she noted her hotel reservations for that night were booked at 11:16 p.m., just two minutes after the airline had said the plane had left the gate.

Airline officials did not return messages Friday.

Robbins said she now regrets the incident and wishes she could apologize to the men.

Aboard the plane

Robbins said she was seated in the last row of the plane before the doors closed when one of the group of men left his seat and went to the restroom. She said she heard him “clunking around” inside. The man then came out and stood directly behind her. She saw that he was looking at the people on the plane, turning from left to right and right to left and “glaring.” “He looked so mean, the way he was looking at everyone, it was very frightening, like something out of a movie,” she said.

She said she was alarmed by having the man stand behind her, and by the fact that his traveling companions were scattered throughout the plane. “It traumatized me,” she said. “I can't describe how afraid I was.”

At that point she told the flight attendant she had to get off the plane. She said the attendant remarked that the men were strange. She gathered up her sons and their things and left the plane. She said she never even heard any of the men speaking while they were on the plane, though she had chatted with one of them in the terminal.

About 20 minutes later, while she was at the ticket counter making hotel arrangements, an airline official came up to the counter and said the plane was returning to the gate, Robbins said. She said the official was angry and complained that the airline would now have to find hotels for everyone, Robbins said.

She left the airport before the rest of flight 590's passengers disembarked.

The men's side

When the rest of the passengers got off the plane, the group of seven Iraqi and Iraqi-American men were immediately separated from the rest of the passengers and questioned by authorities, said Lawrence Garcia, an attorney representing six of the men. The men worked for a defense contractor and had been training U.S. Marines.

He said the men were baffled about why they were being questioned and felt embarrassed, that they were being treated like criminals. David Al Watan, 30, of Dearborn, Mich., said he was the leader of the group of seven men. Al Watan said he's an American citizen who came to this country from a refugee camp in Saudi Arabia in 1994 after the first Gulf war. He is from Nasiriyah, in southern Iraq, and fled the country in 1991. He said his mother was killed by Saddam Hussein's regime.

He said none of the men had any idea when the jet turned around that it had anything to do with them. After the jet taxied onto the runway, the pilot announced that there was a situation onboard and the plane would have to return to the gate. When the Arabic-speaking men returned to the waiting area, they were taken aside by authorities and asked for identification. Garcia said they realized at that point that they were suspected of being terrorists.

“Everyone who didn't look like us went off and did whatever they wanted,” Al Watan said.

They showed the airport police officers their identification as well as certificates of appreciation for the work they had done. The officers told the men that it was all a mistake and apologized. Al Watan said no one from the airlines spoke to them.

Before the flight

Robbins said she first expressed her concerns to officials about a group of men who had gathered at the gate and were speaking Arabic to each other. She said that she had arrived early and was waiting with her 4- and 9-year-old sons when a young Middle Eastern man struck up a conversation with her. She said she had let him go in front of her in the security line. He told her that he was in the army and that he was going home to Detroit before leaving for Iraq for a year. Robbins said he was very friendly. Her oldest son shared some gum with him and showed him his collection of quarters. He did not have an accent and spoke perfect English, Robbins said.

He asked her what she thought about the Iraq war. She said she declined to discuss it. He made a comment about her son being “a spoiled America boy.” What he said about being in the army bothered her though. He was not clean-shaven and didn't have a service man's haircut. “He didn't look like he was in the military,” she said.

Then the other six men showed up and stood in line at the ticket counter, Robbins said. When they were done they came over to the man and spoke with him in Arabic and he got up and the group seated themselves someplace else. She said the talk about the war, the man's comment about her son, the way he got up and walked away with the other men combined with the fact that he kept looking at her made her feel uncomfortable. She said she gathered up her boys and went to security, out of the men's eyesight. “I told them what was going on and they laughed at me,” she said.

She spoke with a police officer on the phone and three officers came to talk with her. They listened to her story and assured her that the men had gone through security and that their baggage had been checked. In the meantime, a security officer and an American Airlines official walked through the gate area and said everything was OK. She asked them if they talked to the men and was told no, that there was no suspicious activity, that the men were just sitting there.

“I was still nervous. . . . Maybe I was overreacting,” Robbins said. “But you think about it everyday. Someone can still get through security. All I wanted was for them to talk to them. All I could think of was 9/11.”

Once she got home and saw a news report that said the men had been training U.S. Marines, she felt both awful at what happened and relieved.

“I do feel very bad but I was just protecting my tiny little family,” she said, noting she had never before flown with her sons without her husband. “How can you overreact when it's your children? What if there had been a terrorist attack and I could've done something about it?”

Robbins said she would do the same thing again under the same circumstances. Yet she also said that she would apologize to the men if she could. “I know they are very upset and they have every right to be and I'm very sorry, but I'd do anything to protect my kids.”

Garcia, the attorney, said the men love America, but want to have steps taken so that this does not happen again. He said they do understand racial profiling and why people may be afraid of them, but that it has been six years since 9/11 and by now airline officials should have a more sophisticated and discrete way to handle such situations, Garcia said. “They can't just assume someone has a bomb strapped to them just because they are Arabic, ” he said. Al Watan said the incident left him depressed and embarrassed and that he wanted an apology from the airline.

“While they sit in their air conditioning, I was out in the desert helping to save Marines' lives,” he said. “I am an American. I love this country. I would die for it.”
So here's my question: should the 7 men sue the airline?