Skunk/Fibre-Optic/Stippling Brushes

Luthien

I know the 187 brush is hugely popular, and I'm thinking of getting it. But I wanted to check and see if another line has a similar brush and if so, is the quality better, or does MAC make the best one of this kind? Thanks!

user3

IMO MAC has the best one.

Flirt makes one and I think Lancome might still make one. There are also a few drugstore versions.

None of them are as dense as the MAC brush so they apply the products very different compared to MAC 187.

BabyFu18

I have the Flirt brush that is like the MAC 187 and for the price you I think the Flirt brush is pretty nice, sorry I'm not sure what other brands have a brush like the 187 though.

melozburngr

I have the Flirt! one, and it works great- and at $8(I think) you can't really beat it.
smiles.gif

ChrisKsAngel

I second the Flirt brush. I use it for my skin finishes and it is great. I just can't bring myself to pay as much as MAC wants for the brush, when I can get more makeup instead. And hey, at $8 it doesn't hurt to try it!

Luthien

Is this available on Flirt's site? I don't have a Kohl's anywhere near me (closest one is about four states away!), and I didn't see the brush on Flirt's site, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
smiles.gif

rubixio

I looked on the Kohl's and Flirt site and it's not listed, sorry. Maybe you can get a friend/relative to buy one for you? It only costs $6 at the store though, but it's a lot thinner than the MAC version. I like it a lot either way.

Ms. Z

187 brush

What a shame, I too want this brush bur don't want to pay MAC $42. Prescriptives has one for $32.00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubixio
I looked on the Kohl's and Flirt site and it's not listed, sorry. Maybe you can get a friend/relative to buy one for you? It only costs $6 at the store though, but it's a lot thinner than the MAC version. I like it a lot either way.

aziajs

I would really like to know the difference between the ones that are out on the market. I know the 187 is a favorite but how do the others compare and exactly who else makes these brushes.

px_361W_R200.jpg
Prescriptives Bronzer Brush

M45R01_261.jpg
MAC 187 Stippling Brush

b8_1.JPG
Flirt Feather Dust-her

990612_l.jpg
Lancome Highlighting Brush

P148005_hero.jpg
Sephora Professional Stippling Brush

giz2000

Considering that both Prescriptives and MAC are owned b y Estee Lauder, I think it's a safe bet that they're made by the same company...

lilxgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
Considering that both Prescriptives and MAC are owned b y Estee Lauder, I think it's a safe bet that they're made by the same company...

Really? I did not know that!

nycky

i bought mine at the Flirt! counter in Kohl's. It cost $6. It's the greatest brush for skinfinish. If I'm not mistaken Flirt! is made by Estee Lauder, too. It looks just like the MAC one.

user3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
I would really like to know the difference between the ones that are out on the market. I know the 187 is a favorite but how do the others compare and exactly who else makes these brushes.

"fiber optic" hairs pick up small amounts of color to make applying dark or pigmented shades easy.

The fiber optic brush is amazing for things like the MAC Mineral Skin finishes and pigmented Nars blushes. This brush is also a great finisher for mineral makeup. Lightly spritz the end with spring water and then gently run the brush over your entire face after applying the foundation. Let it set and once it dries there is nice "airbrushed" look to your face.
Many people will apply liquid foundation with it too. I can't bring myself to use my 187 with liquid foundation so I can't really say how well it applies.
The MAC brush and many other fiber optic brushes are made of goat hair and synthetic fibers.
The mixture of the goat hair and synthetic fibers allow the brush to pick up the color and apply it lightly while still holding a nice amount of product in the brush for you to do your application.
Different quality of brush hairs and synthetic fibers will vary by brush. This will also effect how long the brush last and how well it handles being washed.
If possible it is best to test these brushes out in person. Some people like a more dense "skunk" brush and others like one to be well...less dense.
Anyone that has tried the Lancome one and the MAC one can tell you they are different.
I know plenty of people that like the Flirt or Lancome one better than the MAC.

In the end their main purpose of all the brushes is all the same.
It's all about your choice of how you want the brush to feel and handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilxgem
Really? I did not know that!

Yes, Estee Lauder owns both.
You can check here to see what other companies are owned by EL
http://www.elcompanies.com/our_brands.asp
Being owned by the same company does not mean products are made the same way. Just keep that in mind
winks.gif

darla

The Px is definitely not the same as the 187. The head is a little bigger, and the long, white bristles definitely don't hold up as well as MAC's. I didn't purchase the Px, but the tester they had at my counter was in horrible shape. The white bristles started to curl under and seemed to have a fiber/clothlike texture after a lot of cleaning and wear. I've had the 187 since it was first released, and it's in immaculate shape except lettering is starting to fade a little on the handle.

kimmy

i'd go with the flirt one. it's cheaper, but it's very comparable to mac's 187. like nycky said, the mac and flirt lines are both made by estee lauder, so the products are all pretty similar in quality...but the price for flirt stuff is alot easier on the wallet
winks.gif

docmaria

There's also one by Lancome (Pinceau #3). And I do believe that it was the original "skunk" brush (released in 2001).

I own this and the MAC version and prefer the MAC version as it is more dense/robust.

MissMarley

i adore my flirt brush- use it almost every day- it's better for my narrow cheekbones than the bigger mac 187...and you can't beat the price

cakes

Besides the Lancome brush (because I didn't know they had one), I think all these brushes - you get what you pay for...

The Flirt brush is cheap but it doesn't compare to the 187. But it is smaller so you can use it for other things such as blush.

My friend used to work for Prescriptives and would always recommend the PX one, but I never got around to trying it. I do know it's bigger (thicker?) than the MAC one and $10 cheaper.

And then there's the MAC one that of course, everybody raves about and is good for mineralized skin finished and applying foundation.