Skunk/Fibre-Optic/Stippling Brushes

lara

Different densities, different 'spread'. I found the Prescriptives one is too loose and doesn't give as precise a finish, whereas the Lancome one just puts product down everywhere. I prefer the MAC brush because it's a nice density but the brushes have the right amount of give - nothing to do with brand loyalty, just that the brush moves in a way I like!
smiles.gif

bellaetoile

if your willing to pay for one of the more expensive ones, the MAC one wins hands down. like lara mentioned, it has nothing to do with brand loyalty, its simply just the best brush, taking into consideration price, quality, size, functionality, and durability. the prescriptives one felt so wierd, and when i played with it at the counter, it seemed cheaper and flimsy, plus i thought the handle felt wierd. the lancome barely seemed like a stippling/skunk brush, and more like a glorified blush brush, with no extra qualities. the MAC one really is the best face brush i've come accross, as it is so good for both cream and powder products, and is easy to control, as far as where you want the product placed. it seems to be holding up well, i have two, both of which are used daily, and cleaned often, and both are in fine shape. the flirt is an okay alternative, but realize you will never get the same quality in a $42 brush, and a $6. i have a few of the flirt ones, and they're good for practice/travel/whatever. if you go into the flirt brush with 187-level expectations, you will be disappointed.

user79

How does this brush work differently than a normal blush brush? I just dont understand the hype about it.

looooch

I have the Flirt, Prescriptives and MAC and i reach for my MAC the most. The MAC 187 is the reason why i started to use blushes because it makes applying heavily pigmented blushed a brainless task. The Flirt is not dense enough for me and the prescriptives is just too wide and also not dense enough. I do think the prescriptives is great for applying loose powder though
greengrin.gif

I just got the flirt one in a swap and it works really well for me. Like someone else said, it's narrower than the mac one, so I can get target my cheekbones better with it!

The only thing I got it for was applying msf/highlighter to my cheekbones, and I think the mac one would be too wide so I'll be sticking with this one for now!

thejadedstar

I hate to say it, but when it comes to brushes, I'd rather spend the money on a MAC one than a cheaper/almost good as version. I have a 217 that I bought almost three years ago, and it's in pristine condition, after tons of cleaning and use. I have other low end brushes that just don't hold up well, and need to be replaced far too often for me to bother anymore.

The 187, like stated above, is larger than some other skunk brushes that I've seen, but as far as durability and ease of an other wise tougher product's application, it can't be beat in my book. I'm rather pale and it makes applying my deeper blushes a breeze, and I *don't* look like a clown at the end!

avjwc

I have both the Flirt and the 187. The 187 wins hands down.
I would use the Flirt when I travel and didn't want to risk damaging my 187 but otherwise I use my 187 everyday for blush. It's so dense and soft!

The flirt is darn cheap but it's not very dense or soft. When I use it to apply blush it turns out uneven. The only thing I use the Flirt for is to contour the four corners of my face.

If you can afford it, buy the 187. You will love it and won't want to try another other skunk brush ever again.

pr1nces583

i just got a stippling brush for my msf (its not a 187 tho!)

do you just use them like a normal blusher brush or is there a special way of using them for best results?

also, are they better than a blusher brush for normal blush?

bellaetoile

dip the brush in the product like you normally would, i guess. a circular motion works well for me, i tap it once on the side of the sink to shake of excess powder, then buff it into my checks, again using a soft, sweeping, circular motion. the bristles evenly apply color, and it doesn't come out looking too dark..

hyperRealGurl

i use the 187 for my studio fix fluid and hyperreal fluid... and thats all but i do agree with what " Stacey: ^ said " circular motions to buff either way whatever u use the 187 brush for is freaking awsome.

runtagua

I'll just chime in here for the Flirt! skunk. It is really nice, and for the price you can't beat it! I have it and the 187, and I reach for the flirt more. Because the bristles are less dense than the MAC, it picks up even less pigment - better for really bright blushes & bronzers... And with the 187's larger size, you get a bigger cheek, if that makes sense.

Oh, and my Flirt sheds less than my MAC.

pugmommy7

well, I couldn't resist the flirt low price and I love it. I have a small face-just about the only small thing on me-lol) and it works beautfully.
I tried it with foundation,pearlizers,pigments. I used it with BE blush over creamblushes and OMG it was stunning.
I think I will pick up another one just for founations.