Slightly used/tested palettes

sigwing

I'm wondering about everyone's attitudes about palettes that maybe someone just tried the colors on their hand, maybe even used a different brush so the brush in the palette is still unused. ...... I admit to swatching it on my wrist, along with probably a couple of the others in that case. But I have no use for it, and don't know if it's worth putting on ebay, if people will think I'm a lice-ridden leper with other diseases and germs, or if they'll figure I'm just a MAC fan that buys everything and then decides some of it just isn't my style and the reason a surface or 2 looks like a brush touched it is because I swatched it.

..... Should I just keep it because nobody wants something that's not BNIB, or find someone who really really loves and wants these colors and I'd feel like I really made someone happy by selling it to them?

Ella_

You can sanitise the shadows, so I would just be honest. I prefer brand new items, but I have bought slightly used ones before, I just make sure to sanitise before using.

PigmentJunkie

IIRC, eBay doesn't allow any listings for used cosmetics - but I'm sure you would have good luck selling it in the clearance bin forum here!
smiles.gif

sigwing

Oh, I guess I hadn't checked that! I could swear I've seen "slightly" used things on there before, or things people said were swatched or tried on and then sanitized, etc. I'll have to check on it.

lara

Just pre-empting any offers for sale or requests for sale - just a reminder to please keep all sales, swaps, etc in the Clearance Bin only.
smiles.gif

sigwing

You know, just delete this. It was not intended to be a disguised thing to get people to want to buy something. The only reason I mentioned the specific item was to find out if interest would outweigh any concern about a couple shades being swatched. If it's something everyone is interested in, I was just trying to find out if the surface is disturbed on a color or 2 from swatching, if that would hold them back because they still think it's problematic. I didn't mean to create the flurry of deleting and editing that's happened, and I actually seem to have gotten a lot of that in the past when I see others posting similar things and with no problem. I thought this was a simple question, "Does interest in the coveted stuff outweigh concern over it being swatched?" As I see people talking about their postcards and their Parrots and their whatnot all the time.

I guess my question was answered, and I appreciate the few who were allowed to respond intelligently and I apologize for what appeared to some to be against the TOS or whatever. Won't happen again because I won't be starting any more topics since they are easily misunderstood and then I realize the mistake and can't delete them myself.

bellaetoile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigwing
You know, just delete this. It was not intended to be a disguised thing to get people to want to buy something. The only reason I mentioned the specific item was to find out if interest would outweigh any concern about a couple shades being swatched. If it's something everyone is interested in, I was just trying to find out if the surface is disturbed on a color or 2 from swatching, if that would hold them back because they still think it's problematic. I didn't mean to create the flurry of deleting and editing that's happened, and I actually seem to have gotten a lot of that in the past when I see others posting similar things and with no problem. I thought this was a simple question, "Does interest in the coveted stuff outweigh concern over it being swatched?" As I see people talking about their postcards and their Parrots and their whatnot all the time.

I guess my question was answered, and I appreciate the few who were allowed to respond intelligently and I apologize for what appeared to some to be against the TOS or whatever. Won't happen again because I won't be starting any more topics since they are easily misunderstood and then I realize the mistake and can't delete them myself.

woah. did i miss something?

KJam

I have bought lightly tested eye palettes before if they're rare. EBay on some countries allows lightly tested stuff - US eBay does not. I would say if someone really wants that particular palette or color (the thread is hard to follow coming into it this late) they'd buy it. Your best bet is probably here or a swap board, however.

Oh - and don't let an honest misunderstanding stop you from being an active member. We all make mistakes!

llucidity

I have a quad that I've only swatched once. Never worn it, but now I find it such a waste to have it sitting in my drawer.
ssad.gif
I would love to swap it away to someone who would enjoy using it. So I wonder how many people mind items not being BNIB (slightly tested)? Any thoughts?

dangerousmuffins

You can sell it on eBay - eBay UK that is. They allow used makeup items. People still go crazy if it's used! You can probably still get close to retail depending on the usage.

martawoj

I would imagine there would be interest. I don't know if you got to Makeupalley, but there people swap used mu, all the time. Most people will not swap forused mascara or cream products, but powder e/s are very popular. I myself do prefer BNIB or lightly tested items, but it all depends on the person.

sigwing

Actually, I've found it probably helps if you have links to clear pictures displaying the quality of the item.

Here's another question: Does "swatched only" equal "used"? Like if I buy palettes just because I have to collect all of them, and I think colors are not right for me but I decide to swatch it on my wrist and try a color combo, but then put the thing away and don't use it, later pull it out and want to sell or swap, does it count as "used"? Because I give actual used makeup to my sister-in-law, who loves it & doesn't care, but wouldn't think someone who doesn't know me or is close to me somehow would want it at all. I know it's absolutely not BNIB, but it's close to at least NIB (if I have the box), isn't it? As long as it's clearly indicated that it was swatched.

ms.marymac

Shoot, the way I see it, if the prospective buyer is getting a deal, they should not care if it's slightly blemished. A couple of swipes on an eyeshadow isn't a big deal.

As far as your pallettes go, maybe say they have been tested a couple of times on your hand...used brings images of dips and pan showing to mind... lol

Lisa182

Quote:
Actually, I've found it probably helps if you have links to clear pictures displaying the quality of the item.

Here's another question: Does "swatched only" equal "used"? Like if I buy palettes just because I have to collect all of them, and I think colors are not right for me but I decide to swatch it on my wrist and try a color combo, but then put the thing away and don't use it, later pull it out and want to sell or swap, does it count as "used"? Because I give actual used makeup to my sister-in-law, who loves it & doesn't care, but wouldn't think someone who doesn't know me or is close to me somehow would want it at all. I know it's absolutely not BNIB, but it's close to at least NIB (if I have the box), isn't it? As long as it's clearly indicated that it was swatched.

on ebay swatched = used.

I would just mention (if you sell it on here or where ever) that you swatched it x amount of times to test the color. Clear pictures definitely help, I definitley like to see pictures of used items before I buy them.

I know for me, buying used e/s isn't a big deal, I just wipe off the top layer with a tissue when I get it and/or spritz some alcohol on it. I've sold plenty of used palettes/eyeshadows/lipglasses. Lots of people are intersted in used things (especially the palette you're talking about
winks.gif
).

Dawn

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:

I can't speak for Lara personally, but when adorablekay asked for pictures, Lara promptly caught on that if you posted pic's, that a swap might be initiated by other members. She was trying to be helpful and direct you to where you could post them for sale. If you haven't checked out the clearance bin yet, please do!

betseyjohnson

swiped a few times never bothers me! i have swapped for items like that often, and i have sold items like that locally.
eyelove.gif
i think any make up addict would understand getting rid of items that are only swiped a few times. we all change our minds at one time or another.

sigwing

I never saw a post asking for pictures so it was deleted before I read it. I was not going to post pictures of anything here and as I was trying to say, maybe not very artfully, this was not meant to be a fishing expedition or a disguised sale type topic. I genuinely wanted to know if interest would outweigh the concern that it was not in mint condition.

Betsey, that's exactly it....the addict thing, buying every palette that comes out then deciding it wasn't my shades to begin with and someone else could really get some use out of it, because it's just sitting in my drawer. But I did swatch a few of the shades, and the ones that work for me I already had separately.

I've never used the Clearance Bin here to do anything, but I'll keep it in mind maybe in the future. Thanks!

Janice

Quote:
I never saw a post asking for pictures so it was deleted before I read it. I was not going to post pictures of anything here and as I was trying to say, maybe not very artfully, this was not meant to be a fishing expedition or a disguised sale type topic. I genuinely wanted to know if interest would outweigh the concern that it was not in mint condition.

It might be helpful then to post a "Feeler" thread in the CB with an exact description of the item you're considering selling. This will give you a better feel for how the item is going to perform in the market and you might be able to negotiate a satisfactory arrangement here without having to pay the fees associated with selling on eBay. You also won't have to worry about the direction your thread might take in MAC Chat. It's not your intent that was in question in this thread or the reason it was edited, there just tend to be certain subjects that solicit typical responses and I handle those preemptively. At the time of edit your thread had responses that indicated a direction that was not appropriate for MAC Chat. To keep your thread in MAC Chat I edited it to comply with the TOS outside of the CB, it's all administration and nothing personal. This is a community of MAC addicts I'm sure there will be significant interest in the palette.

Eemaan

ebay ul allows the sale of used cosmetics. if its been lightly swatched and the seller displays an image of the product (with the hetchmarks in largely in tact over the surface) i would have no porblem buying but would not pay as much as a BN item. good lucking in selling it.