So they say women of color shouldn't wear a smokey eye...

j4lyphe

I almost always wear some sort of smokey eye when I do go all out on the makeup... Carbon is like my best friend to smoke out ANY colour lol

lenchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbychina
I love smokey eye looks, especially purple smokey eyes! IMO WOC can rock almost any look. However, as with any complexion, it ultimately depends on the application.

I agree. It all depends on the application. I rock smokey eye looks all the time! I own over 16 mac quads all have a diferent smokey eye theme using different colour hues including purple!

Manna

This probably the one of the dumbest "theories" I've ever heard.

Like lenchen has said, it depends on the application...not the color of the lady's skin. Smokey eyes look stunning on Rihanna, Lucy Lui and Aishwarya Rai.

crystrill

My smokey eye is my favorite look!

Some people are just not open to things. The MAC district manager did my cousins makeup once in a smokey eye and it was REALLY nice and everyone loved it, BUT her. She said it made her look like she had a black eye and it totally didn't. Some people are just, for a lack of better wording, IGNORANT, when it comes to makeup.

Fancydymedout1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixxan
They say that women of color can't wear smokey eye, red lipstick, bright lipstick, blue eyeshadow, etc. They say that women of color should only wear nuertral eye makeup and neutral blush and neutral,nuertral, neutral. I couldn't abide by those rules so I stopped being a woman of color and decided to be a black woman.

This made me pump my fist in the air ...love the ending... and i've also heard the same things. I even use to abide by them when i was much younger. it is all about application. I just purchased my first RED lipstick and im dying to rock!! im just waiting till i do my "Rhianna" hairstyle lol....But seriously i think that we as WOC must stop letting others idea's or opinions dictate whatwe do or how we do something. Makeup is self-expression! The only reason we shouldnt do anything is because WE dont think it work for us. And even then get a 2nd or 3rd opinion sometimes
th_hug.gif
heart.gif
th_hello.gif

Lottascarlatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle93
th_worship.gif

I was actually on yahoo answers and I stumbled upon it and apparently alot of people agreed and I was kinda like...huh?!

Oh, I've gotten this comment plenty of times in real life. Some people ACTUALLY believe that dark makeup makes WOC look like raccoons or abuse victims. It's usually accompanied with open laughter. Some people, you know. But, they do say ignorance is bliss. :)

joygasm

I really doubt it matters. Unless you go emo. Then you look like a racoon rather than a black eye.

But its what you like, not what others like.
so honestly even if it did look like a black eye, if you dig it then other people shouldn't care..

ambodidi

TBH, I have really dark undereye circles, so I can't do a black smoky eye at all. Even when I try with purple or green, they look darker , so obviously I'm not doing it well enough. Are there any Youtube tutorials on smoky eyes by WOC?

Curly1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambodidi
TBH, I have really dark undereye circles, so I can't do a black smoky eye at all. Even when I try with purple or green, they look darker , so obviously I'm not doing it well enough. Are there any Youtube tutorials on smoky eyes by WOC?

Why don't you use a concealer to cover those circles?

ambodidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly1908
Why don't you use a concealer to cover those circles?

I do, and nothing covers them up completely. MUFE Full cover with an illuminator eg Touche eclat or Diorflash comes close, but not completely. I've tried heaps of creams, and they do get better, but they're still there even with makeup. It's very depressing. I'm thinking of having laser for it.

Curly1908

Quote:
I do, and nothing covers them up completely. MUFE Full cover with an illuminator eg Touche eclat or Diorflash comes close, but not completely. I've tried heaps of creams, and they do get better, but they're still there even with makeup. It's very depressing. I'm thinking of having laser for it.

Awww, that sucks! I'm sure that you're still beautiful -- circles and all.
thmbup.gif

I hate to suggest another concealer to you, but Bobbi Brown makes a GREAT one.

ambodidi

Thanks so much. I have tried the BB one, but I suspect I'm not getting matched to the right colour by the MUAs. I'm going to try the peach corrector under the concealer next.

Fancydymedout1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
^ Wow someone from the BX on this forum?? Welcome , my BX sista!!!

Im like a month late but HEYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

NubianHoneii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancydymedout1
Im like a month late but HEYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

BX in the house! LOL im all excited now.
specktra_rocks.gif

Now as for the thread, the title just makes me laugh. Like really? Who even says that? There are like a kajillion ways to wear a smokey eye, and I've seen my sisters of all skin tones rock them like no other.

stilett0s

I agree with the poster who said the smokey eye is universal, just as having trouble matching e/s with your skin tone is a problem everyone one has. It reminds me of a half-white, half-Honduran friend who once told me black e/s doesn't look good on black girls. Psh. Another friend told me the same thing, and I fell for it, only to find out years later that I look amazingly hot in MAC's Black Tied when I apply it properly. Bottom line...I think it comes down to the colors you're using, the look you're going for, and how much of each color you use.

yummy411

Quote:
Thanks so much. I have tried the BB one, but I suspect I'm not getting matched to the right colour by the MUAs. I'm going to try the peach corrector under the concealer next.

please do! it helps loads! sometimes depending on how i feel about the coverage, i sometimes go on top of my concealer with corrector. i correct until i'm satisfied
winks.gif
victoria secret pro makes an awesome palette. the concealer is stiff enough to handle oily skin (if this applies to you). there are some rules of thumb to help: blue/brown darkness use peach, orange etc...