Something I simply do not understand . . .

Randy Rose

(Mods: I wasn't sure what forum was most appropriate for this . . . this is not strictly MAC related, but the general cosmetics forum just seemed like a "for all other brands" forum, and as this isn't about one specific product, I decided to post here since this is the board that I tend to frequent . . . my apologies and feel free to move this if I've woefully misposted.
smiles.gif
)

So I don't know if this is a trend I've missed or something, but it's something I've been noticing recently . . . yesterday at brunch, the hostess was wearing her makeup this way, and today on the train I saw a girl like this. Has anybody noticed girls who literally are wearing not a *speck* of makeup on their entire faces, not even foundation or lipstick, and who have one very thin line of BRIGHT eye liner or eye shadow around their eye? I simply don't understand it.

Is this a fad I've not caught yet? It just strikes me as so odd; it's one thing not to be wearing makeup, even if you would be served very well by at least a little concealer and foundation (the girls I've noticed have had very tired looking faces, for which a little under eye concealer would do wonders). I understand it's not everyone's thing. But just a line of neon green or blue around the eye? If I just saw one girl I would figure it was her "thing," but I've seen this on several girls around the city (New York) in the past few weeks. Anybody else notice this? Anybody like this look / wear this look? I'd love to hear people's opinions, because I am, for once, truly flummoxed.

NatalieMT

One of my friends does this and has been for a while - she wears nothing on her face at all, nothing on lips, then just bright blue liner around the eyes and the tiniest bit of mascara. My only thoughts as to why this is perhaps becoming popular is that it's an easy and quick way to add colour to your face and look like you made a little effort. If the girls that do this like the way it looks then that's fine, makeup is an individual thing. I don't know, I don't really understand it either. It's not a look I like - it's not for me so I certainly won't be going with the trend on this one.

Personally I love the whole obviously done up thing, big bright lips, massive eyelashes, really defined cheekbones etc. Aslong as it's not that OTT! I guess we all have different tastes.

foomph

Well, I've never seen such a thing. That look wouldn't be for me either, but to each his own, I guess.

MACaholic21

I have never seen this look. It would definitely not be for me either, but like foomph said to each his own
smiles.gif

Simply Elegant

I've seen it on the sephora website, but it was make everything neutral with a pop of colour for eyeliner. I think it looks sort of unbalanced with nothing on the lips or face but then again, it's not my face so it's not a big deal to me. I don't see that sort of look very often though.

mtrimier

I do that, but I'm not totally facially nekkid.
tong.gif

I will do either concealer/foundation/neutral shadow/gloss or just concealer/powder/neutral shadow/gloss and then line with whatever color happens to appeal to me that day. I think I would look odd with just colored liner and nothing else.

MiCHiE

Girls here do it. Not a swipe of anything else, but *white* eyeliner or neon shadow on the upper lashline only. WTF? It looks ridiculous and really darkens the complexion.

TISH1124

Well I don't normally wear makeup on the weekends to run errands but I will put on black eyeliner only because I think my eyes look so tired without it or if I donlt have liner on people always ask me "Are you feeling okay?" So to avoid the I look sick look I do wear liner only at times, but I don't normally wear bright liner anyway

BlahWah

I've seen Asian girls do that here (Toronto) but usually with at least blush on the cheeks (usually they have really good skin! *sob*). I think it's been posted on allure.com (how-to vids) and Sephora so ppl do that for an easy "eye-catching" look. I dont' usually see it on tired, unploished ppl tho.
th_dunno.gif

HeatherAnn

I have noticed this look on some VERY young looking girls at the mall- like junior high age girls. I just assumed it was a $$ thing. Like they only have so many babysitting dollars to spend and that bright eyeliner or shadow is what caught their eye.

AdlersMommy22

Ive never seen it but then again i live in a little po-dunk city and dont see a lot of trends anyways.. it just sounds weird.

I can see doing it MAYBE if you have other makeup on like foundation and a neutral lip and neutral blush or a cheek highlight but..................with NO OTHER makeup? Sounds weird to me.

esmeralda89

i saw something like this on peole magazine style watch hillary duff was doing it but she still had makeup on i guess people diddint understand the concept

lipshock

WoC in my area LOVE, LOVE, LOVE doing the STARK WHITE bold, thick line of WHITE eyeliner on the top lid and NOTHING ELSE. No mascara, no foundation, nothing. Well, maybe they'll pair it with lips lined with black pencil and slick with some silvery lipgloss.

I don't understand it.

Meryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahWah
I've seen Asian girls do that here (Toronto) but usually with at least blush on the cheeks (usually they have really good skin! *sob*). I think it's been posted on allure.com (how-to vids) and Sephora so ppl do that for an easy "eye-catching" look. I dont' usually see it on tired, unploished ppl tho.
th_dunno.gif

I think it looks very cute on those Asian girls! Some people (young) can just get away with that sort of thing. The clothes are really cool too.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipshock
WoC in my area LOVE, LOVE, LOVE doing the STARK WHITE bold, thick line of WHITE eyeliner on the top lid and NOTHING ELSE. No mascara, no foundation, nothing. Well, maybe they'll pair it with lips lined with black pencil and slick with some silvery lipgloss.

I don't understand it.

Shut up about the Black lip liner.....Too funny!!
th_LMAO.gif

PollyRhythm

I'm a WoC and my cousin's girlfriend(WoC as well) will just put silver liner on her eyes and some clear gloss on her lips. She's the only one that I've noticed that does it.

Hilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyRhythm
I'm a WoC and my cousin's girlfriend(WoC as well) will just put silver liner on her eyes and some clear gloss on her lips. She's the only one that I've noticed that does it.

girrrlll, i rocked that look circa 1998-2000 and the only reason i stopped was because CLAIRE'S stopped selling that silver liner I loved so much!!!
yahoo.gif

Lapis

My uncle's gf was wearing this look when she was visiting last week (green glitter liner), I thought she just gave up on doing a whole eye look because it was hot, I didn't know it was supposed to look that way, interesting she's 40+ it wasn't cute at all.

Latest posts