SOO Frustrated by MAC!!

hunnybun

A bit of a rant -- but I feel like I need to vent about the horrible experience I had at the MAC store today. I have a 15 yr old niece who has been battling acne for several years now. She's under the care of a dermatologist but still suffers from mild blemishes and lots of acne scarring. As a result, she is extremely self-conscious about her skin and has had trouble with low self-esteem. She has never worn or owned any makeup and recently began expressing an interest in my makeup collection when coming over to visit. Since her 16th b-day was coming up, I thought it would be fun to get her a makeover at the local MAC counter and buy her good starter pieces for her own collection. Most importantly, I thought that a skilled MA could show her how to apply makeup, especially foundation and concealer, to help her conceal her imperfections and make her feel more confident in her own skin. When I suggested the idea, she was extremely excited and has been looking forward to the appointment for several weeks now.

Now I know that there may be sanitation concerns when applying makeup on clients w/ acne. So when I made the appointment, I was very careful to explain the situation and ask if it was something they could do. I was assured by the woman I spoke to on the phone that it would definitely NOT be a problem, that the were looking forward to meeting my niece, and that they would be sure to select an MA for the appointment that was good with concealing skin imperfections. Perfect!

I took off early from work today to bring my niece to the MAC store. As usual, she did have visible acne, but nothing that was pusing or oozing or cystic anything gross like that. Just your run of the mill redness and bumps. The MA that was going to do her makeup took one look at her skin and said that she couldn't put makeup on her because of her acne. Worst of all, she said this right in front of my niece's face! I pulled the MA aside and explained the purpose of the appointment to her. Since I was planning on buying all the products anyways, I said that if she would pick out the shades, I would buy everything, including the brushes first. Then the MA could just do the makeover with the products I purchased so there wouldn't be a problem with sanitation. The MA was clearly enticed by the prospect of such a huge sale, and thus complied. I purchased nearly $400 worth of stuff from her.

When it came time to do the makeover, the MA kept making these facial expressions as if she was really disgusted by the whole process. I could tell me niece was getting uncomfortable and was about to suggest leaving when the MA walked away to grab some more tissues. As she passed another MA in the store, but while she was still within earshot, she muttered to her -- "I can't wait to go on break. This is sooooo gross." Both my niece and I clearly heard her. Completely mortified, we left immediately without giving her a chance to finish the makeover. My niece was so humiliated and started crying when we got to the car!!

I feel horrible that my b-day gift to my niece totally backfired and she's now more insecure about her skin than ever. I'm also SO pissed at the employees in the MAC store for being so rude and insensitive. If the acne was a problem, I should have been told when I made the appointment. At the very least, the MA could have declined to do the makeover in a respectful manner before I dropped $400 rather then agreeing to do the work and then beings so hurtful about it.

What do you think I can say or do to help my poor darling niece get over this ordeal? She initially was so excited to wear her new makeup to school tomorrow and had told all her friends about it, but now doesn't even want it anymore.
ssad.gif

MACATTAK

That's really rude! I would definitely call the manager, complain and take ALL of the items back. The facial expressions, and comments were not necessary..especially when you called in and made them aware of what was going on.

CantAffordMAC

What a bitch. First of all, I wouldn't have given her my sale. Never. As soon as she told me she couldn't do it, I'd ask to speak to the manager and explain the situation. And try to get another MA to do it. You did the right thing by explaining it when you set up the appointment, therefore there should have been no discrepancies.

Honestly, after she said "this is so gross" I would have given that bitch a piece of my mind. How immature can you be to make fun of anyone, especially a young girl with acne. That is pathetic. I can't even imagine doing that.

I think you should complain to the manager of the store/corporate. Thats just not acceptable. I'm not saying this so you get a free lipstick or whatever, I'm saying it because that girl doesn't even deserve to work at MAC.

About your niece: I would sit her down and tell her that there are a lot of mean and immature people in the world. Tell her how beautiful she is, and that acne is a problem that almost all teens go through, adn that its normal. Tell her how great MAC is and that it will help her feel more confident and good about herself. Maybe take her to a different MAC (not to splurge) but just to get an idea of how a real MA is supposed to be. Good luck!
th_wink3.gif

MxAxC-_ATTACK

You need to contact corporate IMMEDIATELY!! This is unacceptable.

If your niece is prone to acne, Mac is not the best makeup for her.

Edie

Well all I can say is:
angry.gif

As a professional she should not of handled the situation like that
nonono.gif

And please....its called DISPOSABLE! I have had to apply make-up on many people with all sorts of 'questionable' things on there face that is a far cry worse than acne!

I might have others disagree with me but I would probably complain. When you are dealing with something as personal as someones appearance, behaviour like that should not be tolerated.
Would she have liked it if someone had made faces, and comments when she was getting her wax-on? Probably not.

Unfortunately there really is no way of consoling (sorry spelling ugh) your niece that will make the entire episode disappear. (I used to have eczema on my eyelids as a child and got teased that I wore make-up to school (ironic?) - my parents, family and friends tried to make me feel better but it just didn't help - it still played over in my head when I looked in the mirror - although when I went out I thought I was cool
cutey.gif
)

I would suggest reminding her that she is not the only person in the world with acne. That one persons stupid immature reaction does not and should not reflect the way she and others see her.

I would then probably have a play around with products with her and try and make a NEW and more enjoyable experience stick in her mind.

This is just my opinion though.
th_dunno.gif
but I hope I helped somehow.
winks.gif

j_absinthe

Holy crap, that made even my mouth drop. How fucking rude.

Call corporate or something is all I can really suggest, and reassure your niece that not all MAC artists are that cunty.

gigglegirl

Wow thats just sad. If they are concerned about brushes and their sanitation I imagine it wouldn't have been a problem to use those throw away sponges? Uncalled for. Definitely call head office.

People don't seem to realize, that when someone representing a brand treats you in a certain way that makes you feel lower than them, you associate it to the brand and may shy away from approaching the counter again. (Or you turn to Specktra and just go to the counter anyway to feed your MAC habit!)

I'm sorry I don't have great words to say to your niece--perhaps find foundation at another counter that may be friendly over acne prone skin, and you could either go back to mac or to another counter to get the e/s, blush etc. I don't know how soon though, if those comments were said about me, I'm sure I'd be hesitant to go to any makeup counter :S This woman was one ignorant MA but tell your niece that the attitude she received shouldn't dissuade her from doing anything! Confidence is key! Best wishes.

flowerhead

what a heartless bitch, i can imagine how embarassed your niece must be.
you should definately make an official complaint - it's just acne, it's very common & the ma should be used to concealing it.
i'd recommend estee lauder or dermablend concealers for acne scarring anyway - mac does not react well to sensitive skin i've found.

gatsby

Take every single product that you can back. Return it to the counter, with a list of all the products that you bought, and explain that you're getting your money back and then purchasing them again at another location/online, because you don't want to give that MA your business, or support the store that continues to employ someone like her. That should both lose her the sale, and get her attention.

[/vindictive]

amoona

WOW. Ok I can understand her not wanting to do the make-up but if she didn't want to do it then she shouldn't have done it. She shouldn't have made those comments, if she felt like she needed to then she should have waited until she was in the office, away from customers.

If I were you I would call the store manager and speak to her/him directly. Then you need to head over to MACCosmetics.com and write a customer complaint. MAC takes that stuff VERY VERY VERY VERY seriously! This girl could very well get fired for something like this because if she has that kind of rude attitude so openly then I'm sure you wont be her first complaint.

Sorry this happened to you guys.

labellavita7

Please please please remind her how many people have acne, how completely normal it is, and how she can try and clear it up, offer friendly solutions to her. It's tough because you don't want her to be ashamed of herself but you want to help her try to cover up the acne so she feels better and more confident.

AS FOR THAT BITCH MA, I would go to the store, return EVERYTHING, speak to the manager and tell her what a rude asshole your MA was (I hope you got her name!) and how awful she made your niece feel. I would call corporate as well and let them now how a MA reduced a client to tears, not even a client, a young girl! Hopefully if anything is done, that girl will no longer be working there. I am so sorry for your niece, what a terrible experience! If she is brave enough to try it again, rather than calling, I would go to the store (at a different location of course) and speak to the manager directly about the appointment and the situation (including your first experience with it), and make sure you MEET the person who will be doing your niece's makeup.

In the meantime, make sure your niece knows she is beautiful inside and out
smiles.gif

glamdoll

Write to corporate and report her. I dont think she should be working in Makeup if she finds common flaws that repulsive. wtf.

I cant believe she would do that. If I were you, Id raise hell. Specially since your niece already has image issues, this doesnt help at all, talk to her and let her know tht she is beautiful no matter what.

put that MA in her place.

smellyocheese

COMPLAIN!! seriously. make a complain. she shouldn't be able to get away with being so mean and insensitive. I doubt she even feels bad at all. She's probably laughing her head off cuz she got such a huge sale. agrh!! that smirk's gotta be wiped off her face! complain. first to the counter manager, see what the manager says. if you're not satisfied with what the manager has to say, complain to the brand manager.

bleh. I'd even boycott that particular store. perhaps you don't have to return the items cuz that may make you look cheap (lol. just in case). but assure them that it was your last purchase from that store. unless that MA is no longer at that store (whether fired or transfered)

and as for your niece, how about you teach her how to put on make-up? at least you'll be there to guide her and she can seek advice from you whenever. have a talk with her.

*sighs* I hope she feels better soon

j_absinthe

I'd like to add that what's more important right now is reassuring your niece on how special she is. Flaws are human, everyone has them. Do what you (legally) can in dealing with the counter/store, but remember that this is a valuable lesson for both you and her.

If anything, this situation should have taught you both that you don't have to tolerate that kind of behavior, especially from someone who represents a company based on building up the beauty of individuality. Hoepfully if either you or her are faced with this kind of ignorance again, you'll look back on this and have a better understanding on how to handle the situation,

Good luck.

sharkbytes

awww, that is the most awful thing I've heard all day
ssad.gif
Maybe an alternate idea would be to take her for a facial? I don't know if there's an AF Bennett near you, but if so, they specialize in an Acne Relief Facial. It's a bit pricey (around 105 bucks) but it will make her feel good, and the skin care expert will teach her how to care for her skin at home.

I'd return all that stuff to MAC, put it towards the facial, and then make sure MAC is notified of the situation.

Good luck wtih everything.

deadSAVVY

absolutely return everything!! what a cold person! What the hell does she think makeup is for? umm hiding imperfections duh, and being a makeup artist at that you should know what to expect and do your best at making your client feel and look pretty! I know I have mild acne and a bit of scarring, but when I went to my counter, they were all glad to give me suggestions and to match me up. Not a single cringe!

I'm sorry your niece was exposed to such a rude ma and at MAC! If you decide to go back in, you should definitely complain about being so rudely handled! Hopefully a different ma who knows what they're doing will kindly help you out.
Good Luck!

rosenbud

It makes me so
angry.gif
to think MAs are behaing like this.
My first experience of a makeover was exactly the same, I was 14 with terrible acne and my grandmother said she would treat me concealer and foundation. I stood watching the MA putting make-up on a girl telling her how beautiful she was and this girl looked aming when she had finnished.
So I was so excited when I sat down, she was clearly disgusted by my skin as she scowled the whole time, did not bother to wash off existing make-up and half way through went to take a phone call...rolling her eyes at another MA muttering she didn't need a spotty girl.....the other MAs were clearly embarrassed about her behaviour as they did nothing and she left me sitting there for half an hour!
I was so humiliated but desperatley wanted the make-up to make my skin look better and still feel mad I purchased the products and more importantly never complained!
I would go back to the counter and make sure you get the MAs name and send a full detailed complaint to the counter and to MAC themselves, I can understand how you may not be able to return the products as this may humiliate your niece even more.
So sorry to read about this....show your niece this thread to let her know how horrified we all are to read about her treatment and incidently I get comments now on how nice my skin is.
If she ever needs advice on anything to help her skin don't hesitate to pm me, it took me years to find a rountine that cleared my acne.

wolfsong

That was so lovely of you to do that in the first place - it makes this unjustified and despicable 'service' you received all the more harrowing.

I agree 100% about taking all the items back for a full refund; this woman does not deserve the commission from it!
Speak to management at the store as well as making a complaint with corporate. She should not have a job that often entails dealing with sensitive issues (makeup and self esteem goes hand in hand regularly).

Acne is a VERY common problem with people - teenagers and adults alike. Makeup artists should have plenty of experience with dealing with problemed skin due to this. If she didn’t want to do the makeover she should have discreetly and professionally found a makeup artist that would before you purchased the products.

In my opinion, a customer should never have to purchase items before the makeover because of skin complaints (excluding potentially dangerous situations such as people with clear signs of drug use - then i fully agree with the right to refuse to service etc), this is what sterilizing products and/or using disposable applicators is for. It doesn’t matter if your face is clear, or you have bad acne - items should be kept sterile, and therefore acne can’t be used as an excuse.

I hope that you can sort this all out, and that the vile woman gets what she deserves. You sound like a wonderful aunt who she looks up to, so if anyone can make the poor girl feel better I’m sure its you! The important thing is that she knows there is nothing at all wrong with her, and that she isn’t permanently affected by this episode. This is not the fault of either of you - the blame solely lies with that poor excuse for a makeup artist.

Flowerhead made some great points about going to a brand that is known for dealing with acne (both with products that help with rather than increase breakouts, and with staff that are very experienced/skilled with acne).

Good luck
th_thstars.gif

Latest posts