"Can you match my grandmother for foundation? I have her picture right here..."

HUH?

? That's a little odd but I doubt it would be that hard

lara

Re: Most cliche'd day at MAC ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerhead

We'll all just be sitting here while you attempt that. Don't mind us, we'll try to keep the lulz quiet.

KeshieShimmer

Quote:

Well it could be quite impossible, with the differenet lighting, you maynot see the neck to make sure the color blends, you can't really see the texture. Correct me if I'm wrong but can't the same labled colors like NC45 in studio fix look different than Face and Body on a person. Then you need a concealer to match, some go lighter some darker...

Bernadette

Quote:

Wouldn't be hard if you had no idea what you were doing and didn't care if it was an actual match or not..... However if you ere a professional that actually wanted someones foundation to match and look good on them, you would know that you couldn't do it based on a picture, much less a cell phone one. Well, I guess you could get lucky but other than that
th_rolleye0014.gif

flowerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
We'll all just be sitting here while you attempt that. Don't mind us, we'll try to keep the lulz quiet.

I'm sure you could give an approximation, it might not be that accurate but that'd be her fault...To be honest if it was a clear photo you could give an accurate one. From my very grainy picture you can tell I am very pale and have beige undertones so that'd be NC5 which is my colour...

Bernadette

Quote:
I'm sure you could give an approximation, it might not be that accurate but that'd be her fault...To be honest if it was a clear photo you could give an accurate one. From my very grainy picture you can tell I am very pale and have beige undertones so that'd be NC5 which is my colour...

Beige undertones would make you an N or an NW
smiles.gif
. Do you work in the makeup industry?

Kiseki

Quote:

While I'm not doubting your matching skills, but from a photo (and yes, it would be the customer's fault, but whoever works or has worked in retail know that they always end up blaming us) you can have a washed out complexion from flash, per example Studio Fix always reflects light from flash, so you could have problems even giving a close one, much less accurate.

If you're talking about foundation that have very few color choices like the 4 available colors of Dior's spray foundation, yes with a bit of luck you can manage that, but with a makeup lines that range over 18 colors of foundation, it's a tad more complicated.

Just my two cents anyway....

Shimmer

Quote:

No, you really can't, and any MA who tried really wouldn't be worth her salary.

flowerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
Beige undertones would make you an N or an NW
smiles.gif
. Do you work in the makeup industry?

Golden/Neutral Beige is NC, Pink beige is NW....I don't need to work in the makeup industry to know that

flowerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
No, you really can't, and any MA who tried really wouldn't be worth her salary.

Why are you telling me I can't? I could match most people from a photo :S

Shimmer

Quote:
Why are you telling me I can't? I could match most people from a photo :S

If the photo was 100% true to light, that's theoretically possible.
Most photos (a fairly large majority of them really) are not color accurate. If you can, you're 1 in a million, and have talents that far exceed even the most professionally acclaimed makeup artists in the industry.

flowerhead

Well I'm thinking in terms of a photo taken without flash in natural light...Most people who know anything about makeup could

Divinity

Holy shnikes! I have just interviewed for a MAC position and I've been in retail for years, so I'm familiar with crazies, but THESE crazies....wow. I'l tell you what, wow.
lmao.gif

GreekChick

Quote:
Well I'm thinking in terms of a photo taken without flash in natural light...Most people who know anything about makeup could

You could probably give an approximation but giving the number on the spot is difficult, especially if the person is wearing blush, making her look more like an NW when she really is an NC.
When I look at your avatar picture for example, the first thing I notice is that you have a pale complexion, so you might wear something between the 15's and the 20's. But then again, maybe you're a 30, and I'm looking at a picture with flash. I'm an NC30, and with a flash, my skin looks transparent.
Also, at first glance, you seem like an NC, however you have somewhat of a pink to your skin, according to your picture, which creates even more confusion. I really can't tell what your color might be, if I base everything solely on the picture.

Kiseki

Quote:

I read and read and read this thread and I was "Should I, shouldn't I...", maybe I shouldn't, but I will.

A good salesperson prouds him or herself into serving the customer to the best of his or her abilities. No one here is saying they wouldn't do it if forced or if the customer was too pushy. My goal never was ultimately the sales, it was the fact that my customers valued my service so much that they would choose me if they had to choose, I liked the loyality, I liked the fact that a customer would trust me to the point that if I knew him or her to a certain extent and they were pressed for time, they would take my advice and came back thanking me for it.

That was my number one goal, to gain my customers' trust. Yes, sales goals are nice, but by gaining my customers' trust I ended up generating more sales.

If an obnoxious person came in with a photo (cell phone or not) and wanted wanted wanted a foundation for said person in the photo, even after all reasoning, I'd probably have to but I wouldn't feel good about it and I'd probably give samples to try out and suggest a gift card instead.

Bottom line? If pressed, would we do it? Unless we had a choice, we would have to? Would we feel that we did a great job? No, I probably would start counting the days until someone came back with the foundation to return it and probably be accused of being a bad professional which certainly is a treat to have at your workplace especially if there are other customers around.

Plus, the odds of someone waltzing up to you with a bare faced photograph in true natural light are slim to none, the person who would be so meticulous to do that would have to know a bit more than your average consumer about makeup and that type of person wouldn't shop for a foundation with a photograph in hand.

I've said more than my two cents, but I think you're missing the point.

calbear

Quote:
There are 7 mua's in this thread who disagree with you.

It really doesn't seem to matter what all the MA's in the thread are saying. Because anyone who has been on the internet for more than five minutes knows that even with bright colors - the image changes depending on lighting, flash, angle etc. Which is why people can't ever agree on dupes and things of that nature from pics and why there are always requests for pics with varying camera specs.

flowerhead

Quote:
There are 7 mua's in this thread who disagree with you.

Yup, and they're very touchy about it
tong.gif

jdepp_84

Actually, one time my boyfriend went to the mall and they were giving a lot of free stuff at the Estee Lader makeup counters, including large foundation samples. My bf called me to ask if I knew what color he should ask for me but I didnt really know, however, he did have a picture of me and the MA was able to give him a sample based on the pic. It was a perfect match when I got the sample! So guess its possible, it might depend on the quality of the pic though.

Bernadette

Quote:
Golden/Neutral Beige is NC, Pink beige is NW....I don't need to work in the makeup industry to know that

You simply said beige hun which like I said would make you an N
thmbup.gif
Your snide know-it-all attitude is just simply unappreciated and most of the professionals on here can tell that you don't really know what you are talking about which is annoying.

Latest posts