Split: Matching foundation from photograph

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdepp_84
Actually, one time my boyfriend went to the mall and they were giving a lot of free stuff at the Estee Lader makeup counters, including large foundation samples. My bf called me to ask if I knew what color he should ask for me but I didnt really know, however, he did have a picture of me and the MA was able to give him a sample based on the pic. It was a perfect match when I got the sample! So guess its possible, it might depend on the quality of the pic though.

now that's a downright miracle
smiles.gif

it can be hard enough to foundation match someone in the flesh if a counter has poor lighting. (has the jaundiced roast chicken look happened to anyone else?) doing it from a photo is very, very hit and miss. you might be lucky and match one ok, but for every one right you'd have a lot of them wrong.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
now that's a downright miracle
smiles.gif

it can be hard enough to foundation match someone in the flesh if a counter has poor lighting. (has the jaundiced roast chicken look happened to anyone else?) doing it from a photo is very, very hit and miss. you might be lucky and match one ok, but for every one right you'd have a lot of them wrong.

I used to work at a counter that had a huge skylight over it which was great during the day but not so much at night. The mirrors with lights didn't help much at all. If someone returned a foundation, 9 times out of ten they had purchased it at night.

flowerhead

Re: Most cliche'd day at MAC ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette
You simply said beige hun which like I said would make you an N
thmbup.gif
Your snide know-it-all attitude is just simply unappreciated and most of the professionals on here can tell that you don't really know what you are talking about which is annoying.

It is infuriating when someone disagrees with you on a forum isn't it! You have been snide, rolling your eyes etc, which is why you've blamed me with having a know-it-all attitude because I'm not as bothered as you, but all I've done is state that it's not so difficult to match someone from a photo and there's nothing you can do to convince me otherwise, it seems pretty easy compared to other aspects of the job such as matching shadow shapes to eye shapes and seeing what colours really suit a client etc...yes you're a makeup artist but you shouldn't use that as an argument, it doesn't necessarily mean you know more about makeup, you may do but that's not the point. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree!

flowerhead

Ugh that's so stupid! Why did you even bother writing that that's not what I was saying at all :/
Edit: Photoshopignoring?

Bernadette

I'm just going to leave this one alone because those of us who know, know and those of us who do not well, they can just keep thinking they know.
thmbup.gif
!

Katura

As an MA, I have to agree with BErnadette, not to fuel the fire, or get flamed...

But who takes pictures in natural light with no flash? And even if you did...if you are in outside, in 'natural' light, the sun can wash you out, even to the tiniest degree to make you go from a NC50 to an NC40 or a NC35 to look like a NW15 snowbunny...

I would seriously talk it over with the client, because matching from a photo isnt a good idea, you will 95% get it wrong..and then Hellllllo Returns! Why? Not only could it be the wrong color, but the texture could be ALL wrong. You cant see that someone has very dry/very wrinkled/very oily skin in a picture...or that their pores are enlarged...whatver...some foundations just dont blend well with peoples skin.

There is more than just color when matching a foundation, and if you know your stuff, you know that.

smiles.gif

Want a challenege??? haha *snarky* match me here, natural light, no flash, no makeup...and my cute SO! (extra points if you can match him! I know his color!)

http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=meandtjvh7.jpg