Stage Make-up

JoJo

Hi peeps,
i'm new in this forum
smiles.gif
my first post here as well..i've been looking into FOTD all these while, i was and am blown away by the make-up you people do!!! it's breathtaking...
th_wink3.gif

btw, i was thinking if anyone could give me an idea and some pointers for stage make-up? it's not that musical kinda thing, but rather juz appear on stage, and sing.

I wonder if stage make-up need any special application coz they involves strong lighting and all..hope you peeps will enlighten me!!!! Thank you in advance!!!
lol.gif

Sanne

I'm not very good in these things, but you should make your brows a little bit darker then usual if I'm correct, and don't do subtle make-up, people won't see your fine eyeliner, but they will see it when you make it a little thicker!

anyway, welcome to specktra!!!

martygreene

So, are you saying like a choral performance?

Generally, whenever a person appears on stage with proper stage lighting, the following should be considered when doing makeup:

- Contouring. Stage lights will remove most of the shadows on the face, and thus they must be re-created with makeup

- Accentuation of small features. Eyes and lips will be easily lost if not accentuated well

medvssa

As groupie said, make it bolder. Makeup for pictures also needs to be bolder or it will disappear
smiles.gif

Be careful if they are going to photograph you, because some foundations are reflective with the flash and you can seem a ghost. Test them first.

JoJo

thanks groupie, martygreene and medvssa for ur advice!!
greengrin.gif

hmmm...i will be the only one on stage to perform actually.
btw, martygreene, how do i accentuate small features? i've got quite a "popped-out" eyes...so bright colors on me will make them look more weird...

my eyes aren't big as well, so dark colors will hide them. I'm so stressed!! both ways cant work!!
btw, i'm asian. so i've got typical asian features.

Demosthenes

I always use thick, "pancake" style makeup for stage (think creams rather than powder foundations), with a pretty liberal layer of powder over it to combat shine. Regardless of your asian eyes, you will need to line them thickly with either a navy, black or brown liner, or it will look like you don't have any eyes (if you want to, you can draw a thinner line on the bottom, but make sure the upper line is thick).

It may look silly in a mirror or just walking around, but trust me, it will help on stage. Also, don't do any nude lips, they need to be a dark color like red or a bright pink. I know this stuff seems garish, but the lights will wash you out and if people are filming/photographing you on stage you will just look like a flesh colored blob. Depending on the color family you are using on your eyes and lips, choose a darker blush and heavily apply it (I usually use pigments/loose powders for this, because pan blushes are sometimes too sheer). You can also go with bronzer, if you want a more natural look, but be sure to contour with this.

LOL, I know it seems like ton of makeup, but at least you can leave one part of it off... mascara can't and won't be seen by anyone over 6 feet away from you, so you can at least hold off on those unless you want to use falsies.

user2

Is it true that I have to use a makeup with one shade darker than my usual shade?

JoJo

wow...demosthenes, didnt know anything u mentioned only after u advised me!

i will definitely try what you mentioned
smiles.gif
but just hope that i will have the skill to blend it well and not end up looking like a coloured pancake!!

btw, for shading, i juz have to shade my cheeks?

beautifulxdisaster

apply lighter colours of powder on your middle of your forehead, nose bridges, chin, and sides of your nose. Apply darker colour of powder on temples, sides of the bridge of your nose and jawline.

here is a picture on MUA that can help you with shading/contouring:

http://www.specktra.net/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=976

and another:

http://www.specktra.net/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=978

courtesy of blushun *mua* and kevin aucoin

HTH! I and agree with everyone about applying more makeup then usual. Have you seen Paris By Night? That show where they have asian performers, the performers wear a lot of makeup but it looks very nice with the lighting even though in RL it looks garish. None of them have natural looking makeup on, since they'd look washed out with the lighting.

JoJo

beautifulxdisaster and martygreene, thank you for the wonderful tutorial!! really really appreciated them!! learnt alot abt shading and highlighting!!
greengrin.gif
i will definitely try them at home...

martygreene, i'm actually doing a solo singing performance. So the make-up do not have to be too colourful i think..any recommendations on what to use for eyes? TIA!!!
greengrin.gif

JoJo

album_thumbnail.php

trying to post picture here. So if i'm lucky that it works, here is a pic showing a part of my face...hehe...hope u peeps can gif me suggestions on what to use k? THANKS ALOT!!!

user2

OK I ask again:

Is it true that I have to use a makeup with one shade darker than my usual shade?

martygreene

Vuitton Victim: It depends on the character you are playing, and what the LD, director, and costume designer have decided.

Jojo: Do you know how far your audience will be from you?

JoJo

hmmm...it won't be too far...mayb about 2metres? and it will be filmed as well...is tv make up once again different from stage? sorry...i'm really confused...;p

beautifulxdisaster

make sure Titanium Dioxide and it...zinc oxide too? Is not in the main ingrediant of the foundation. If TD or ZO is a top ingrediant, it'll make the skin look 10 shades too light in the flash camera/lighting.

princess_jenilee

Hey jojo.....i'm asian and taking a stage makeup class for college....I recommend to have a matte foundation using the contouring techniques. The basic idea is to have the darker foundation around the outer part of your face and the center is lighter......but of course all blended.On your eyes, dont shade your eyeshadow too high up b/c makes the eyes less defined. Some fake lashes really help.....i like the mac #7 in black or brown

aeni

Jojo -

First off, what size theatre we talkin about? If it's a small black box, go with cake foundation. If it's a large 500 seater, you're going to have to go hooker style (meaning creme or matte foundations and more more more on everything else).

Thing I need to always remind people is to go a shade darker than your skintone. I've worked lights and makeup so much to know that if you go with your usual skintone, you'll look white.

JoJo

princess_jenilee: Thanks for the advice!!
smiles.gif
i always have problem applying e/s for my eyes..coz with bright colors, i always feel that it makes them look more protruding...
ssad.gif
i'll try the suggestion u have mentioned!! thank you again!!
greengrin.gif

aeni: It's actually a television studio. probably abt 300 seats. i'm not really sure abt that. but it'll be filmed. So is there a difference in the make up between TV and stage??

Latest posts