Starting out in makeup brushes.

s0xjuicy

I'm JUST getting into make-up, and I realized that I need a good set of brushes, but I'm not comfortable with spending so much money on MAC brushes especially since I don't even really know what I'm doing with them, so I was wondering, where can I get good brush sets or make-up brushes, specifically for the eyes, cheap? I know everyone has been where I am at some point so what did you use when you first started in make-up?

I live in Canada and I've tried Wal-mart but theres a really bad selection, and I can't really find what I'm looking for.

I'm going to have to check Micheals soon, but I wanted to see if there is any other places I can look.

TIA, and I'm looking at stores and stuff specifically, I think when I get paid I'm going to transfer money over to my paypal account and buy some online, but I wanted to see if there are any stores first.

ShesAFoxyLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpucu
Nordstrom have brush sets right now from M.A.C - the set is 49.50

M·A·C Colour Forms: 5 Advanced Brushes (Nordstrom Exclusive) - - Nordstrom

Ooh, that looks like a decent set for a beginner. Could someone please advise which set would be best - the purple/green one or the red one (in terms of which has the best brushes for a newbie to makeup brushes)???

Would be much appreciated
smiles.gif

Aww, they say no international shipping
ssad.gif
would anyone be able to forward it on to me??

ShesAFoxyLady

Quote:
The red is basic set brushes and the blue/green are advanced sets
smiles.gif

Thank you
thmbup.gif

ETA - just found another thread saying it will be released internationally next month, so i'll just be patient
greengrin.gif

MissDeViousDiVa

I don't know if you have Target in Canada, but the Sonia Kashuk brushes there aren't bad. I have MAC brushes but still use some of the Sonia ones that came in a set.

xpucu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDeViousDiVa
I don't know if you have Target in Canada, but the Sonia Kashuk brushes there aren't bad. I have MAC brushes but still use some of the Sonia ones that came in a set.

Yes i agree they are pretty good . I have MAC brushes too and also few of the Sonia brushes - and they are much cheaper.
yes.gif

user79

coastalscents.com
Crown Brush
Quo brushes from Shoppers Drug mart - are ok but not amazing

anshu7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDeViousDiVa

Quote:
Yes i agree they are pretty good . I have MAC brushes too and also few of the Sonia brushes - and they are much cheaper.
yes.gif

iagree.gif
another good set is posh brushes.they r available online also with a 50% discount code cc123 but i dont know if they ship to canada.maybe someone can fwd it to u?
hope tht helps!

SparklingMissy

Honestly I used to feel the same way. I think MAC is the best when it comes to brushes by far. A cheaper alternative is 1. The nordstrom sets 2. Target has good brushes from Sonia Kashuka (sp?) 3.Crown Brush.com = Awsome!

Goodluck!
yes.gif

s0xjuicy

Thanks for all your recommendations guys!

We don't have Target here, and I've already checked Wal-mart & Zellers, and like I said their selection is VERY limited.

And with Quo brushes, I seen that they were a little more than I wanted to pay, so I'm not really sure.

I was thinking about the brush sets from MAC also, but like I said, I'm just messing around with make-up, I'm not serious about it so much right now, so I think $50+ for 4-5 brushes is a bit too much.

But, I looked at the Crown Brushes site briefly and it looks very reasonable, I'm going to look up reviews also, and I'll check out Posh Brushes also.

Thanks a lot guys! This really helps :)

VeXedPiNk

When I first got into using brushes for my makeup, I found one at Zellers that was very similar to the MAC 239. However the quality is CRAP! It barely packs on any colour and I honestly think a piece of sandpaper would blend better... and be softer! Around the holidays, Wal-mart usually has brush sets. I picked one up last Christmas because it was only $5. But they are useless!

There's been lots of great suggestions so far! Michaels is a good bet, like you said. If you are serious though, I would suggest just getting one or two MAC brushes. The quality is well worth the money!

concertina

I just got my Crown Brush order and WOW, these things are awesome!

For the price, the selection and the fast shipping, they just can't be beat.

s0xjuicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by concertina
I just got my Crown Brush order and WOW, these things are awesome!

For the price, the selection and the fast shipping, they just can't be beat.

Woo, that gets me excited, I was just looking at the website, and I don't know what to choose! I'm looking specifically eye brushes for eyeshadow, any suggestions?

Also, how did you pay? Because I don't see no payment method :/ I just sent them an e-mail asking.

And VeXedPiNk, yeah, I've seen some of the brushes at Zellers and Wal-Mart, and some of them look really cheap.
winks.gif
And I do have one MAC brush, the 266, and I like it and I haven't had any problems with it, but I'm not into make-up to the point where I want to pay $20+ for a single brush, you know what I mean.

But thanks for all your suggestions guys
greengrin.gif

concertina

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0xjuicy
Woo, that gets me excited, I was just looking at the website, and I don't know what to choose! I'm looking specifically eye brushes for eyeshadow, any suggestions?

Also, how did you pay? Because I don't see no payment method :/ I just sent them an e-mail asking.

What you do is place your order and then within 2 hours, someone calls you at the number you provided to finalize your order. Its actually really fast and convenient.

A word of advice. The pink brushes, though very pretty, smell *horrible*. I have soaked mine and washed and soaked and washed and the smell will not leave!! I liked the Luna and the Studio series the best.

ETA: Also, there is a minimum $25 order. I thought that would be hard, but once I started adding, it became very easy.
winks.gif
I got around 10 brushes for $27 + shipping.

ETA2: As for recommendations:
C152 MED. CHISEL FLUFF
C153 LARGE CHISEL FLUFF
C213 CHISEL MINI SMUDGER
C209 CHISEL POINTED FLUFF
C208 CHISEL DELUXE FLUFF
BK5 DUAL LENGTH POWDER - dupe of MAC 187
BK13 BLENDING FLUFF

A lot of the lines have duplicates just in the different colors. So spend some time playing around. Hope that helps!

VeXedPiNk

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0xjuicy
And VeXedPiNk, yeah, I've seen some of the brushes at Zellers and Wal-Mart, and some of them look really cheap.
winks.gif
And I do have one MAC brush, the 266, and I like it and I haven't had any problems with it, but I'm not into make-up to the point where I want to pay $20+ for a single brush, you know what I mean.

Haha, don't be fooled by the ones that don't look cheap either!
I totally understand that... I love my (very few) MAC brushes, but the prices really make me think twice. Eventually I wasted so much money on crappy ones that I asked myself.. why not just buy one MAC brush?

These Crown Brushes seem really great though!! Gonna have to give them a try!!

TaTaNaLiScious