Student Adds Memorial Stone for Gunman

*Stargazer*

I cannot for the life of my fathom the thought process behind this. What am I missing?

Quote:
BLACKSBURG, Va. (April 26) - A senior at Virginia Tech said moral responsibility led her to add a stone for gunman Seung-Hui Cho to a memorial for his 32 shooting victims that was set up at Virginia Tech late last week.

The stone was later removed, but was restored by Wednesday morning.

Katelynn Johnson, a senior sociology-psychology major, identified herself in a letter to the Collegiate Times as the person who added the stone for Cho.

"My family did not raise me to do what is popular," she wrote in her letter to the campus newspaper. "They raised me to do what is morally right. We did not lose only 32 students and faculty members that day; we lost 33 lives."

In her letter, Johnson said she feared a backlash from students and possibly faculty members who did not agree with having a stone for the killer included in the memorial. But she said feedback since the letter was published has been largely positive.

The student organization Hokies United put 32 "Hokie Stones" - of local limestone used in university buildings - in a semicircle in front of the administration building to honor the 27 students and five faculty members whom Cho killed April 16.

The 33rd stone was added at about 4 a.m. Thursday, Johnson said.

Cho's stone was gone by Monday morning, and was replaced by a small American flag. On Wednesday morning, there were 33 stones again.

This time, the 33rd was on the far left, unmarked, and slightly apart from the others. It was adorned with tributes similar to those on the other memorials: flowers, candles and beads in maroon and orange.

University spokesman Mark Owczarski said that the student organization did not place or remove the stone for Cho, and that it would not interfere.

"They decided they would allow the expression of grief to take whatever form it needed to," he said.

Shimmer

I think forgiveness is a big step.
And, it's HARD. It's truly hard, particularly in cases like this, and it may be impossible.

*Stargazer*

But does forgiveness mean that you have to memorialize a killer in the same manner? To me, this is tantamount to putting Mohammed Atta's name on a 9/11 memorial.

Shimmer

Whether we like it or not...a family lost a son that day, brother, grandchild, whatever, and is grieving.

Atta's family glorifies what he did, and his colleagues consider him a martyr...therein, to me at least, is the difference.

*Stargazer*

Sure, there is a difference in that aspect.

I think I've pinpointed what bothers me about this. She's taken the liberty of amending a public memorial to fit her private views. I think I find that very arrogant because it is potentially extremely insensitive to the family members of those who were killed. I think the majority of the people probably feel realllllly sorry for Cho's family, but I doubt many are ready to extend the same sympathy to him.

Shimmer

Why should their grief be ignored? Their grief is just as valid and real as the other victims' families.
I do, to be honest, consider them victims of their son's actions, btw.

Perhaps it wasn't in the best taste, but I don't think it was necessarily wrong, and it certainly doesn't (IMO) trivialize the grief the other families feel.

It would be just as insensitive to pretend the Chos aren't grieving.

*Stargazer*

Oh, I completely agree that their grief is just as valid. In fact, its probably even more overwhelming for them because not only are they dealing with a death of their son but also the knowledge that their son murdered 32 people in cold blood. Add Asian ideals of family honor and shame into the mix and the poor people are probably at their wits' end. I was so saddened to read the statement from his sister where they apologized for his actions. I really hope they didn't think they have to shoulder the blame or that America wants them to shoulder the blame.

I just feel like you can acknowledge the grief of his family without placing Cho on the same level as the victims which, IMO, is what this girl has effectively done.

I'm not saying I'd like to stone her or anything, but I am saying I find this in poor taste.

Beauty Mark

I don't know what kind of memorial or service is appropriate for people who kill or commit other horrible crimes... Everyone is someone's son, daughter, etc., but it's hard to shake away what they did

Shimmer

Perhaps, in all honesty, better taste would have been to put a stone or remembrance there for his parents/siblings.
Not only did they lose a child (as the other parents did) but their child is responsible for the death of so many others. Their grief is compounded by guilt.
ssad.gif

GreekChick

It takes alot of thinking to undertsand *why* the gunman did what he did. You don't just wake up one day and tell yourself you're going to kill as many people as you can. This is the accumulation of everything he probably went through in his lifetime bringing him to the culminating point of Virginia Tech. You become deviant because something went wrong in the way you were raised, your brain didn't fully register ALL the education required for you to socialize with others. Nobody could control your impulsive behavior when you were young therefore how are you to know it's wrong? It's all based on criminal psychology..What brings someone to the point of breaking the rules?
Once we understand this, we can better accept that criminals are human beings just like you and me. The only difference relies in their way of thinking, which is the result of everything they've gone through. This helps break the social stigma that comes with being criminal and allows, as mentionned above, forgiveness.

Trunkmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug10678
Add Asian ideals of family honor and shame into the mix and the poor people are probably at their wits' end. I was so saddened to read the statement from his sister where they apologized for his actions. I really hope they didn't think they have to shoulder the blame or that America wants them to shoulder the blame.

you DO realize statements like this will get you thrown out of the I hate everyone that is not caucasian and Christian club pretty dang quick don't you?
winks.gif

Just kidding

It's a tragedy all the way around.

My opinion any memorial to him doesn't belong at the memorial site for his rampage victims. I hope his family is receiving the support they need at what has to be hell on earth for them especially since you brought up a point that I realize but hadn't actively considered.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkmonkey
you DO realize statements like this will get you thrown out of the I hate everyone that is not caucasian and Christian club pretty dang quick don't you?
winks.gif

I am laughing so hard I am going to wet myself.

I hereby swear to work harder at only liking white Christians.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkmonkey
*makes not not to be funny for 98 days*

we don't want that bun out of the oven QUITE yet.
greengrin.gif

No, we do not. I have more than enough lifetime experience with pre-term labor. I'll pass this time around, thanks. So NO MORE FUNNY FROM THE MONKEY.

Now, who do I call to request a custom title that says " I hate brown people"?

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug10678
No, we do not. I have more than enough lifetime experience with pre-term labor. I'll pass this time around, thanks. So NO MORE FUNNY FROM THE MONKEY.

Now, who do I call to request a custom title that says " I hate brown people"?

and red people and yellow people and olive people, don't forget.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
and red people and yellow people and olive people, don't forget.

ESPECIALLY those people.

Beauty Mark

Make it easier. Your custom title can be "I hate everyone except NW20 people" or whatever shade you are in that system. That way, you don't leave anybody out
smiles.gif

Latest posts