Subtle err'day look for monolids?

alienman

One of the driving forces that got me so into experimenting with makeup is because I was sick of hearing that monolids (eyelid with no visible crease) were hopelessly unattractive and could not wear makeup well.

A lot of the girls here might know me from an Asian beauty blogging community and you guys probably know that I'm pretty vocal about my disdain for the Asian social disapproval towards monolids. I got nothing against cosmetic surgery and I believe that's a whole other irrelevant topic, but I don't think a girl should be considered ugly just because she doesn't have visible creases across her eyelids. Young Asian women get a LOT of pressure from their own immediate family to get their eyes "fixed up" so they might find decent husbands or even get jobs faster.

Also, it's a huge fallacy to assume that eye makeup doesn't work for monolids and that the only solutions are to wear very heavy eyeliner, get surgery or fake creases with tape or glue. The reason many of us monolids can't access eye makeup techniques is simply because techniques for monolids have not been well-developed. I also believe that you can keep your monolid features and still look beautiful, so long as you emphasize certain parts of your eyes.

So, I'm thrilled to see that more and more Asian monolids have started experimenting and sharing their techniques on their blogs (tiffanykei and mulzanza come to mind).

I didn't mean to ramble on so much haha. Sorry, zomg this got LONG @_@ Anyway, here's a look I've recenly experimented with. I'm probably one of the bigger noobs when it comes to makeup, since I didnt' really get into it until sometime last year. Still, I'm not giving up MWA HA HA MONOLID POWERRR HAR HAR!!

Uh, yea, here's an attempt at an everyday wearable subtle look:

b545f2f7.jpg

cbfd19c6.jpg

979485ff.jpg

Once again, I'm sorry if these freakishly large eyeballs are making you fall over backwards. I'm using the same files linked in my blog. If this is bothersome, please let me know! The last thing I want is to BLIND someone with my DAZZLING GLARE (((((@_@))))) ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

4d97a52f.jpg

Lips:
Silk Naturals Kisser Slicker in Breathless (my favorite natural lip color!)

Face:
Shiseido Annesa Perfect UV Sunscreen
Laura Mercier Secret Camoflauge SC-3
Silk Naturals in Buttery Gold
Revlon Golden Afffair (blush) in Naughty or Spice
Physician’s Formula Summer Eclipse Bronzer (used just the brown pressed powder to contour jaws and nose)

Eyes:
BNX Eyebrow Shadow in lighter brown (if you’re wondering about this brand, don’t waste your time. It’s actually a Korean fashion brand. I got this as a free sample with a Korean magazine purchase and I doubt their makeup is that remarkable as I’ve heard nothing about it as of yet. The eyebrow shadow does the job, though.)
Clinique All About Eyes Rich
Urban Decay Primer Potion
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Slate (smudged around lash lines)
NYX TS22 Trio (Sahara on browbone and highlight, Suede all over eye-socket area, Chocolate contoured on outer edges of upper lid and lower rim)
Prestige Eyeliner Pencil in Black to outline outer lashlines
CoverGirl LashBlast

uh_oh_disco

Looovely look, very pretty :] I've always liked monolids, I can't believe people find them ugly - honestly, there's nothing bad about them at all.

Solace

I agree with you completely. I remember watching this video about some chick complaining about monolids and she just sounded self-hating and wanting to be something she wasn't. I couldn't make it through halfway of the video because I found myself wishing to reach through my monitor and wring her whining-ass neck.

Lovely FOTD, i really like how you smoked out the lower lashline as well. and your eye shape = love.

Heiaken

That looks really pretty
smiles.gif

And I must admit that I'm quite shocked to hear that monolids are found unattractive in some circless and all that! I had now idea about that. I personally like asian eyes, I think the monolid look adds a certain mysterious beauty to the face
smiles.gif

ratmist

I've never found "monolids" unattractive. Didn't even know there was a term for them. I think your look is beautiful.

Deirdre

I think that looks lovely. I like the color choice, and the placement of color, especially the contouring along the outer lid.

I am not Asian, but when I was a teen, I totally admired the "monolid" and wish I had exotic eyes like that. I did not know that it was undesired, or that it even had a name (and I don't like that word, either - why not "uncreased" which is so very flattering, really) all I knew, is that some of my friends looked so classically elegant for having an uncreased lid. I used to pull my top lid up, just to see what I'd look like, haha. I also admired their tiny noses (I have the classic Anatolian nose, which is dominant on my face, or so I perceived at that time). People always suggested I get it fixed, and I'd reply "it's never been broken" with a wide eyed innocence. But that always pissed me off.

Haha, it is funny how we always wish for a different beauty than our own. I am really sad, and sometimes angry, when beautiful girls compartmentalize their body parts, and don't see their own beauty in its entirety. I really get your disdain of this: I share it.

kimmy

you look super cute! i never really got why people hate on monolids so much...i don't see anything unattractive about them.
shrugs.gif

alienman

Thank you, guys! Dierdre, I totally feel you about that comment on your nose and about girls compartmentalizing their body parts. It's true! We wish for what we don't have and your nose is something Asians would covet b/c it gives your face more depth.

I nearly snapped when I saw one girl asking in a forum what the ideal body proportions and measurements were, so she could compare herself and see what needed to be changed!

Oh, and sorry my eyebrows look ---> o\ /o
LOL I got overzealous this time around w/the tweezer and clippers. Growing them out so I can calm down the ZOMG look.

blazeno.8

Your eye mu looks really good. I think that what you say is really important and I think there was a thread started in the chatter section about this topic (or at least that dealt with it in part). If I can find the link I'll send it to you.

Temptasia

It's funny when I was just beginning to use makeup, there was pretty much just one eye makeup technique for asian eyes. There are so many different types of monolids or asian eyes that it was hard for that one technique to work for all. It's great to see makeup communities popping up that specialize in asian makeup. Much has progressed within the last 10 years.

ladyJ

I love seeing tutorials and techniques for monolids because I have monolids myself and it gets so frustrating to do my makeup. I even considered getting the surgery but backed out because I didn't want to have fake lids haha! Thanks for posting. Looks great!

alienman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeno.8
Your eye mu looks really good. I think that what you say is really important and I think there was a thread started in the chatter section about this topic (or at least that dealt with it in part). If I can find the link I'll send it to you.

Thanks! I'll do the search, too, to save you some time and trouble
smiles.gif
and omgosh your signature made me laugh; it's hilarious!!!

ladyJ: i felt that way, too, but now it's just too much fun for me to see what i can come up with
smiles.gif

thanks, all of you, for your encouraging words!

Briar

You have gorgeous eyes, and this makeup is very pretty! I'm all for people loving themselves for who they are, not trying to alter their appearance to satisfy some constructed idea of beauty. Way to go!!
yes.gif