Tattoos/ Piercings on Darker Skin

chocolategoddes

In the near future, I'd like to get a few tattoos and piercings.
I do, however, have a few concerns that are holding me back and making me think twice.

Tattoos: Though my skin isn't very, very dark, I'm afraid that certain colors won't appear as vibrant on my skin as they would on a fairer complexion.

Piercings: My biggest worry is keloids. According to my research, they are more likely to form on darker skin than lighter. Has anyone had this problem? As much as I'd like a lip peircing, I think I could live without it if it meant I would develop a giant ball of scar tissue on my face. And keloids actually run in my mother's side of the family.

So, if anyone has any information on this, experience with tattoos and piercings on darker skin, or just an opinion, please share!

Thank you!
winks.gif

neonbright

I am sure about keloids and darker skin, one of my best friends had keloids and was a lot lighter than me.

Do you have your ear pierce? If so it is less likely you are to get keloids. I have both my ears double pierce and my navel pierce years, years ago, with no problem. I got my first tattoo about 1 1/2 ago and thought color would not show on me, I have a pinkish/red rose with green leaves wrapped around a cross. Looks beautiful, detailing it the most important thing, more so than color.

elektra513

I feel like the tattoo artist has to be skilled enough to work on POC. I have keloids from chicken pox, but I have tattoos and a piercing and have been fine. However, it did take 2 yrs for my piercing to heal and 1 wk or less for tattoos.

chocolategoddes

neonbright:I had my ears pierced when I was a little baby and apparently, piercings don't tend to develop any serious scar tissue when you get the peircings after age 11.

elektra513:I also have keloids from chicken pox (weirdness) but not from any piercings I have.

Thanks for your comments. <3

MsCocoa

In regards to keloids I think some people are prone to them and others aren't, since it runs on your mothers side you may be but then maybe not; I don't think there's a way to find out until you get one.

In regards to coloured tatts I think the plain 'black' ones look better but if you want a coloured one try and go on reccomendation because I have seen some good ones.

yoyie

well i have red and black heart tattoos on my foot that still show pretty well considering i go them done three years ago, i also have a cross anklet that has pink, black, and white in it. it may have been who did it, because the it looks like crap, and i only got it done in may. the black is still there but you can barely see the pink or white... hope this helps!!!

Dani

I think if you go to a good, reputable artist, you should be fine. You get what you pay for, particularly with tattoos (which is why I didn't complain about spending 80 dollars for my little tattoo, haha). Ask the artist how much experience he has working with darker skin. Oh, and sometimes you can find reviews of a tattoo place online, which helped me alot to chose a quality shop. Good luck! <3

nazia

When it comes to keloids, it's true that darker skins tend to have more problems. Saying that, it also depends on your own skin type and how fast and well you heal.

I don't have very pigmented skin, yet I scar terribly. I've had my belly button pierced and it has left behind a small, darker lump of scar tissue - ick!

I also have my ears pierced 3 times at the bottom and have no problem with scarring there. However, at the top of my ear, in the cartlidge, it has scarred.

I don't know if any of that will help at all, but I hope so!

lilMAClady

Go to Miami Ink and LA Ink websites. They wil give you great information about tatoo dyes and professional suggestions about darker skin. My own personal suggestion is to go somewhere VERY reputable even if you can get the same tattoo somewhere else cheaper. Do your homework and tour different parlors and artists. That will be the only way as everyone is different.

Piercings: If keloids run in your family don't do it.

elektra513

The trick with the experienced tattoo artists is that they don't go over the skin repeatedly. Doing so causes more trauma to the skin, thus more risk of keloiding.

I have a black tattoo that is slightly raised (the guy went over it a few times to fill it in) and a colored tattoo that is completely smooth (different guy, more experienced). So yeah, again, it's all in who you go to...Good tip re: Miami Ink and La Ink. Shoot, if you can save up the money and it's a very detailed, specific work you want, go to Garver...

Beauty Mark

I have a keloid on my spine from a tattoo. It feels like it's gone down (I got that part of my tattoo done 4 years ago). However, it's still there.

There are so many great tattoo artists. Look at a portfolio before you get anywhere close to a needle. Cost doesn't always equal good work.

When you do get tattoo, be sure to sunscreen it! A lot of POC don't bother with sunscreen, which is bad enough, but the sun will fade your tattoo horribly.

PollyRhythm

I agree with Beauty Mark about the sunscreen. That is the one most important thing for your tattoo in the summer time. I only have one tattoo that's of a star with other stars and swirls around it and my color stayed true and bright for a long time just up until now with my forearm getting darker from driving in the sun. It made it darker but you can still see the colors, and the guy who did mine used bright colors (ie: greens, blues, yellows, and purples).

I have piercings also, not a lot. I have two different regular ear piercings, a industrial in my right ear and a belly. Mine turned out great but if you're prone to keloiding, you have to be careful since you will more than likely develop them. My sister keloids and scars like crazy and she can't wear any type of fake jewelry.

My color is around N9-NW47 and this is the darkest that I've ever been.

neonbright

LeilaniTat3-vi.jpg

Of course this is when the tattoo was brand new, but the colors show up just as good and are even prettier now.

TISH1124

I have a solid black tattoo on my lower back which still looks perfect after about 9 years....On my left shoulder I have one that is black and red and I have had to get the red re-inked because it did fade after many years. I personally like the black ones better but just my own personal preference since I have both. I am NC45...No keloid problems whatsoever but when I scar they do tend to heal very smoothly...I can't even tell where my c-section scar was without really really looking... I think it just depends on the skin and how you heal. If you scar easily and it does not normally heal smoothly chances are you have a higher risk of getting keloids.
Hope that helps.

chocolategoddes

Thanks to every single person who has commented so far. You all brought up very good points.
Obviously, I won't be 100% sure if I'll develop keloids until I actually get the peircing but your sdvice about the tattoos is really helping.

Also, if any of you, like neonbright, have any pics of your tattoos, I'd LOVE to see them.
greengrin.gif

metalkitty

I plan on getting my first tattoo also and was wondering particularly if any purpley or magenta type colors show up decently on darker skin. Doesn't have to be vibrant just show up.
I'm under the impression that reds, blues, and greens show up the best on dark skin. Besides black of course. The skill level of the tattooist matters as well.
Here's a link to a really great looking tattoo place MySpace.com - Miya Baileyâ„¢ TATTOOS that touch the SOUL - 33 - Male - 323 Walker St. ATLANTA, Georgia - www.myspace.com/miyabailey
Yeah, if anyone knows or has pics on color tattoos on dark skin, especially purple tones, I'd be very gracious! And thanks for the pic neonbright!

Tashona Helena

I got two keliods on my second ear piercings and it made my mom freak out every time I get a piercing...i'm sorry but I think it was mainly because they told me incorrect care methods and I was pierced with a gun. I'll never ever ever get anything pierced with a gun ever again. When I got my tongue pierced I went to a well know studio with an RN on staff. When I got my nose done I went to an experienced studio too because there was no way I was letting some person on the boardwalk or in the flea market come near me with a gun or some cheap ass needle. Same with my belly. I think it's all in research and care. Because I've had many piercings since the keliods developed in my second ear holes, and they all came out more than fine. Might be luck...I dunno my dermatologist freaked my mom out...but I was pretty sure I just developed them because of the studio's lack of professionalism.

Tattoos...can't speak on them...lol not really my thing.

xxManBeaterxx

If your getting a body piercing, especially a belly button ring or anything on your face for that matter you may not want to, just because you never know if the scar is going to form, but you probably have a very very high chance. I have a belly button ring, and a keloid ring formed around the puncture holes and has been there for the past 8 years.

If your skin is extremely prone to keloids you may have to stay away from getting a tattoo as well, i know some people who have a tattoo had formed a keloid scar where ever the needle touched their skin.

All though you may want a piercing or tattoo badly.. I wouldnt risk having a deformative scar for some bling bling or body art. Or make sure the place you go to are professionals!

spectrolite

I've had my nose pierced for around 3 years now with no worries at all. I didn't even consider scarring when it got it done as it was very spur of the moment hehe. I'm really glad it's fine >_<!!

MAChostage

Keloids run heavy on my dad's side of the family. I have multiple ear piercings and a nostril piercing and have never had any trouble with them, except my tragus. After it was pierced for several months it developed a small granuloma, but dermatologist-prescribed Vanos cream made it disappear in a week.

Latest posts