Tattoos/ Piercings on Darker Skin

yarayuki

I have 2 facial piercings, a monroe and a stud in my nose. My lip piercing (monroe) left a very small scar, easily covered by make up. I got it re-pierced earlier this year right below the original hole and the old scar is barely visible anymore. The time between taking it out and getting it re-pierced was a little over a year. My nose piercing has no scarring at all. A few weeks after getting it, I had a bump on the surface of the nostril next to the piercing, but I found out that's a commonality amonst healing nose piercings and it left no scar. But daily salt water soaks, neosporin and tea tree oil definely helped reduce scarring.

PnmnianPrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashona Heléna
^ oh girl me too...It's so hard to find pictures of WOC with monroes and lip rings tho on bmezine. Everyone is bushing me towards monroe tho.

edit: nm i found a bunch of videos on youtube...wow...haha i'm torn.

I think you'd look AMAZING with a monroe!!

Miss Lore

I have a few keloid scars from bites and chicken pox, i have a small tatoo and navel piercing but i did not develop any keloid scarring

ClaireAvril

I believe I got all of my ears peirced by a gun.. but I have heard some people question the cleanliness of a gun...
I got my nose pierced with a needle for 75$... while a couple of my friends when to indian beauty parlours and got their noses pierced with a gun for 5$. I preferred the needle because the girl who did it bent the needle after she used it to show you that it is only going to be used once... wow that piercing hurt - can still remember it like it was this morning.

I had a hard time with the healing of the nose ring .. it took some time but I wrapped a piece of cotton around the stud and it healed quicker.
There's no scarring.. and I try not to touch it.. when I have to I make sure my hands are clean.

CantAffordMAC

I have one tattoo on my left shoulder blade....its just fine, maybe a little faded but theres nothing wrong with it, its not raised or anything either.

My belly button piercing is fine too, Im sure there would be a scar if I decided to take it out but other than that its doing well. Its still healing I guess, because I got it done in April.

Im NW35

Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucia_la_latina
I was so surprised that it would happen to me, when some mixed race girls, as in the african genes arent so far back, dont get them!

All the people that I know personally who have keloids are all white, and that surprised me as well.

I think perhaps it has something to do more with the skin over producing collagen in scar tissue.

Afrobella

This post is hella old, and this is my first post here, but as a WOC with a lot of tattoos and piercings, I feel compelled to answer in case someone else comes into this post looking for advice/information.

A lot of people confuse hypertrophic scarring with keloids. These types of scars are very, very different. Keloid scars extend past the area of injury, or in this case, piercing or tattoo. They are usually quite raised and the color of your skin. Hypertrophic scars are caused by inappropriate jewelry, bad placing of a piercing or excess trauma to a piercing while it is still in the healing phase. Removing the piercing, correcting the jewelry or simply some extra TLC can prevent or minimize the scarring (which is usually lightly colored and appears to be a bump/pimple on the fistula). You can also reduce hypertrophic scarring by treating the affected area (after it is healed) with emu oil, vitamin e oil or tea tree massages.

Keloids can be surgically removed, but may return even worse, or treated with pressure wraps or topical ointments that contain steroids.

To speak on pigments showing up on darker skin, you have a good chance of seeing a great deal of color in your tattoos unless your skin is as dark as Alek Wek's. My tattoo artist has been working on my mom's skin and mine for years and neither of us have problems seeing our brightly colored tattoos. As far as piercings go, I would say from personal exprerience that cartiledge piercings are the hardest to heal. They take the longest and usually experience the most trauma (wiping your nose, sleeping on your ears and such) and are usually the most prone to hypertrophic scarring.

I know that was a novel, but, I hope it helps you, OP and anyone else who stumbles across this post like I did.

Tashona Helena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnmnianPrincess
I think you'd look AMAZING with a monroe!!

thanks
smiles.gif
because of my job starting to enforce the look policy I got a VCH on my birthday instead cause I didn't wanna risk it with another facial piercing. But my co worker, who's a lil darker than me got one and it looked cute on her! she was quitting tho so she didn't care about the policy cause she only worked one day with it.

Sisa

I have a nose piercing and in the past I got a lip piercing. I don't have any keloid, except my ear cartilage (thank god, it's on the backside and no one notices it)
But my lip piercing doesn't acrue, though I put it out for nearly 4 yrs now. There is still a little hole you can see from the outside. It looks a little bit like a birthmark from distance. Well I think that doesn't depend on darker skin, but I just wanted to tell you that (ok, I haven't really, really dark skin. I don't know my shade yet but it must be about NC 37 or 40)
So think twice before you do it ;-)

Khymeira

I don't keloid, but I do have to worry about hypertrophic scarring on my cartilage piercings. I have both my left and right tragus done, and while my left one healed like an angel, my right one has been pissed for some time. But that really is just a matter of how well you take care of your piercings as they technically are fresh wounds.

shyste

Not sure if you got ur stuff done yet..I am NW45 and my tattoo has faded mind u I got it done back in 96/97...it def needs to be colored in..the pink, white, balloon colors faded...I had a teddy bear holding balloons with my girls names in it...gonna get the nerves to do it again..I was young & dumb
th_dunno.gif

My piercing was over my left eye...I kept it in for about 2-3 yrs..when I transferred to a different dept..I took it out...now u can see both holes(barbell ring) up close really good and my eyebrow hair WON'T GROW past the point where the ring was so I have to draw that in to match the other....

no problems with keloiding in either one but I do keilod from surgeries, bad cuts, etc....

all in all would get another tat..no more piercings
nope.gif

Blushbaby

I have 4 keloid scars on the backs of my left and right shoulders. They didn't form from tattoos or piercings. I couldn't even tell you what caused them. I didn't scar anywhere for them to have popped up. The first developed when I was about 14 and the rest followed suit over my teenage years.

I've avoided strapless/strappy clothing for years cos I'm really concious of them. This is a bloody nightmare as I like wearing the latest trends and they bloody dictate my wardrobe.

I've decided this year I'm just gonna wear what I bloody want and try to 'get over' them.

They're prone to black and asian skins - regardless of what shade of black you are.

Macnarsandlove

I have had just about every part of my face pierced and never got a keloid. My body has never developed any bad scars. Off topic but I also have had a 2nd a nd 3rd degree burn on my whole forearm and i cant even count how many other terrible cuts and accidents, all my scars heal completely flat.

Now I have 7 tattoos all healed fine. Red shows up the best on my skin. Blue turned really fucky and greenish. I have an odd coloring, nw43/c7 on my face with the skin on my body having a red undertone. heres a pic so u can see:

DSC00483.jpg

Also that is a MAC lipstick u see in my tattoo. The artist asked me to bring one in as he tattooed me. After I looked at it and noticed he drew the lipstick and the logo. Ill get it covered up soon cause Im not down with trademarked/copy symbols.

aziza

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalkitty
I plan on getting my first tattoo also and was wondering particularly if any purpley or magenta type colors show up decently on darker skin. Doesn't have to be vibrant just show up.
I'm under the impression that reds, blues, and greens show up the best on dark skin. Besides black of course. The skill level of the tattooist matters as well.
Here's a link to a really great looking tattoo place MySpace.com - Miya Baileyâ„¢ TATTOOS that touch the SOUL - 33 - Male - 323 Walker St. ATLANTA, Georgia - www.myspace.com/miyabailey
Yeah, if anyone knows or has pics on color tattoos on dark skin, especially purple tones, I'd be very gracious! And thanks for the pic neonbright!

His work is amazing!! My SO has a tattoo of his nickname on a music staff on his upper arm and it keloided over. It still looks good but its raised and the color is not as vibrant. I should take him there as a 25th b day gift.

MACandie2012

i have a belly button piercing and was thinking about getting an industrial but i heard it hurts like shit. if anyone on here has one, plz let me kno how it went, aftercare, and how long it takes 2 heal. thanks!

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziza
His work is amazing!! My SO has a tattoo of his nickname on a music staff on his upper arm and it keloided over. It still looks good but its raised and the color is not as vibrant. I should take him there as a 25th b day gift.

I now have a similar tat, but it's behind my ear. It was done at that shop, and let me tell you... BOOK THAT ARTIST WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY IN ADVANCE.

Indigowaters

Omg. I was just gonna suggest him. He's the best I've seen so far. I'm willing to drive (8 hours) from Tampa to ATL just to have him do it if I ever make up in my mind if I want one. He customizes, knows darker skin and does beautiful artwork. Quote:
Originally Posted by metalkitty
I plan on getting my first tattoo also and was wondering particularly if any purpley or magenta type colors show up decently on darker skin. Doesn't have to be vibrant just show up.
I'm under the impression that reds, blues, and greens show up the best on dark skin. Besides black of course. The skill level of the tattooist matters as well.
Here's a link to a really great looking tattoo place MySpace.com - Miya Baileyâ„¢ TATTOOS that touch the SOUL - 33 - Male - 323 Walker St. ATLANTA, Georgia - www.myspace.com/miyabailey
Yeah, if anyone knows or has pics on color tattoos on dark skin, especially purple tones, I'd be very gracious! And thanks for the pic neonbright!

JustSloan

I have several tattoos.. One being a full sleeve in progress.. Im a NC45.
Some of my ink has colour, some doesn't. For my skintone, I stay away from Yellows and greens (they get muddy looking after a few years) I stick to black and greys (Which can be absolutely BEAUTIFUL!)
I also have several piercings, My lobes are stretched to 00g and I plan to at least go to 1/2 inch.. I also have an Industrial..

None of my piercings have ever given me any issues when it comes to Keloids..

It's all about taking care of the piercing for the duration.. Especially anything cartilage, those can SUCK to heal.. they're very touchy.

cupcake_x

I'm sure since your skin isn't too dark the skin will be able to show off some tattoos. However, if you get a bright pink or white, it probably won't show as well. I'm getting my first tattoo later this year, and they'll be pink. Hopefully they'll look as cute as on my pale friends.

As for piercings, I have my ears pierced and stretched and haven't had a problem. I'm not very dark (I'm Puerto Rican/White/Afro-Venezuelan and have crazy undertones, if that counts for something) though.