The Acrylic nail job from hell!!!

Vixxan

8 weeks ago I had acrylic nails done. I kept them on for about 6 weeks making sure to go in every two weeks to get them filed. After about 6 week I removed them myself because of drill burns, cuts, and horrible service from various nail techs. The entire experience was nightmare.

(salon#1) When the nails were originally put on the nail tech cut me and then started drilling my finger pretending not to notice the blood dripping from my hand. I had to literally scream to get this woman to stop drilling my bloody finger. Then this nasty person took the bloody drilling a placed it back in her drawer without cleaning it. The store manager assured me that he would have her sanitize the equipment before it was used on anyone else. I ended up leaving without my nails being completed. (salon #2) A few days later I went to another salon to have them finished.

(salon #2) Since this salon did a good job fixing the first salon's mess I returned here for my first filling, bad idea. At the first filling the nail tech gave me a very bad drill burn then she pretended she could speak English when I told her that she burnt me. A few days later I to return to the shop because the filling job she did fell off.

(salon #3) I had to find yet another salon for the third filling. After the tech claimed to be finished with my nails I noticed that the base of my nails was 1/3 inch high. I tried very nicely to explain to the tech that my nails need to be drilled and that the nail line was not natural looking. I looked like someone hit my fingers with a hammer. The more I explained the less he claimed to understand. Finally a nail tech comes over that speaks English and said the exact same thing I had been saying all along. So this jerk starts drilling my nails as if he is trying to hurt me. I lost it and I couldn’t believe the words that were coming out of my mouth. Another tech offered to fix my nails but by that time I was too pissed to have my nails done. I went home and removed them myself. No nails on earth are worth this kind of treatment, no thanks.

What shocks me about this entire nail saga is none of these nail tech cared about how they were treating their customer. I really felt like they saw me as a piece of meat with $25 bucks. I don’t understand why would you use a potentially dangerous piece of equipment on a person that you can't communicate with to determine if something is wrong? I guess I should have asked if the techs spoke English before I let them do my nails but I didn’t want offend anyone, I regret it now. This whole experience has been shocking and disgusting.

Since removing them I can't get any nail polish to adhere to my nails for longer than a few hours. Also, my nails are so weak that anything touching them hurts. There is no sign of infection and I don't think I have one but the slightest bump on my nails hurt. I'm really at a lost here this was the first time that I had fake nails so I don't know what I should expect after they were removed. Does anyone know why my nail polish won't stay on? Is there anything I need to do get my nails back to a healthy state?

Forgot:

My nails have a lot of dents, ridges and scratches.
Thanks

TISH1124

Wow!! Horrid experience....basically you have to grow back healthy nails first....Try using OPI Nail Envy or Salley Hansen Hard As Wraps Nail Strengthener on your nails every other day until they grow back...keep clipping off the ends until you have a strong healthy new nail...I just finished growing mine back out and it took about 2.5 to 3 months to get them back in the condition they were before Acrylics....and I had a good nail tech....No matter how you remove them or they are taken off...Acrylics damage the nail bed...Nails are left thinner with ridges...

Vixxan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1124
Wow!! Horrid experience....basically you have to grow back healthy nails first....Try using OPI Nail Envy or Salley Hansen Hard As Wraps Nail Strengthener on your nails every other day until they grow back...keep clipping off the ends until you have a strong healthy new nail...I just finished growing mine back out and it took about 2.5 to 3 months to get them back in the condition they were before Acrylics....and I had a good nail tech....No matter how you remove them or they are taken off...Acrylics damage the nail bed...Nails are left thinner with ridges...

Thanks a million!!!

Teacakeanyone

Now, I don't know if this actually contains ingredients that are beneficial to nail growth, but Sally Hansen's Triple Strong gel strengthener stopped me before I ever got into artificial nails! My nails are so crazily strong with it and so goshdurn shiny, I decided spending $500+ a year on fake nails wasn't worth it for me personally. I just picked some of the Triple Strong up at Ulta, but any drugstore will have it. It's in a square dark-green-glass bottle. Hope this helps!

lyttleravyn

I second that Triple Strong! It did amazing things for my nails, which used to be thin and peeled a lot. I never had fake nails, but I'm a dog groomer and they are constantly in water. That little green bottle contains miracle stuff!

gildedangel

I am so sorry that you went through this! You will need to grow out the ridges and uneveness. I love OPI nail envy (only the regular or the matte versions though!) for strengthening, and it doubles as a base coat so your polish will stay on longer. Try to keep from using your nails until they grow out. You could also use a nail growth treatment like Qtica to help grow them to a healthy state. HTH!

LMD84

wow this is crazy! poor you for getting such bad service in 3 different places!

i too use triple strong and also a sally hansen quick grow thing - in a blue bottle
smiles.gif

cazgh

You poor thing - sounds awful!

Write written complaints to all these stores - this really is unacceptible service and all technicians have to have insurance just for events like these - nobody should get hurt or leave in pain when having their nails done.

Unbelievable! Hope your nails start to feel a bit better soon.

jayleelah

they were using the DRILL on your NATURAL NAILS ???? wtf!
of course it works faster that way but it ruins customer's nails. At school, they taught us it was forbidden to use the drill on natural nails. Only use a FILE !!! it's more gentle and doesn't burn.
Just let your nails grow back and use nail straightener. Maybe you'll find a better nail tech in the future.

User67

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I used to wear acrylics for years & I know I had plenty of bad experiences. The worst was when I was having my nails soaked off & I guess the process wasn't go fast enough for the nail tech, so she tried prying the nails off & she ended up ripping a hole in the middle of my natural nail! I wanted to die & I wanted to kill her! Like everyone else said, you are going to have to let your nails grow out & use a good strengthener on them. I really like OPI Nail Envy & I also have had really good results from this product called Nail Life Revitalizer that they have at Sally's, it's a big square bottle & the formula is purple. It works really good! Good luck!

Redz24

If you can, report these salon's to trading standards, I'm sure you won't be the first nor last person they attack with a e-file.

These kind of salons take any short cuts possible, especially a using a e-file on natural nails. This should never be done. An e-file should only ever be used on the product.

It's c**p you've had to go through this.

user79

Just stop getting acrylic nails and learn how to take care of your natural nails. I have natural nails and get asked all the time if I have fakes. So much easier and cheaper and to maintain.

jayleelah

Oh my God Julia! your nails are peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerfect! I could've sworn they were gel
oh.gif
. I'm jealous.

Tat2dbeauty07

I know the feeling I moved to a new city found a new salon to get my hair done at and they also did nails. I had a full set put on and the girl did speak english and kept everything sanitized every customer had their own set of files she never used the drill on your hands and everything was done by hand no tips. When buffing my nails the first time she buffed so hard she cut my cuticle on my thumb then she used strait up alcohol to clean it that burned like a M-Fer I went back for my second fill with her she did the same thing on the same finger... Not pleasent so I decided not to get them filled anymore after that when it came time for my 3rd fill my mom went to get her hair done and the nail tech said if your daughter doesnt come this week the get her nails done Im going to have to charge her extra my mom didnt tell herI took my nails off, which was a pain I soaked in acetone for 30 mins they softened but wouldnt budge so I slipped a store mempership card under the backs that grew out and popped them up and off taking most of my real nails with the acyrlics my nails have grown back since they are still sore to touch my nails are very thin I cant get a decent tip on them because they bend and peal. My polish is sticking though I paint them about every 3 days so you cant see the damage they are red and swollen my ex is a barber so went through all the stuff in school on nails and that he told me I made a mistake from the beginning getting them done. I dont think I will ever get acyrlics again.

banana1234

my nails were the same when i had mine taken off, i'd rather have my short, un manicured nails than those again, not only are they expensive, but once you have them, you kind of have to keep going back, or grow them out, mine took about the same time as tish's to grow out. maybe a bit quicker, i find it helps to keep them short, because then they dont get bent as much when you're doing every day things. as for the nail varnish not sticking? that's cos they've made your nails super smooth. when it starts growing in rougher, you'll find it easier to paint them.

sounds like a horrific experience, i hope your nails grow out quick.

Maybe try a sally hansen treatment, or opi treatment for making them grow? maybe it will grow out faster? XX

BEA2LS

mine really weren't too bad when i got them off.. only one time did they tear my nail but that was one time too many
ssad.gif

Willa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Just stop getting acrylic nails and learn how to take care of your natural nails. I have natural nails and get asked all the time if I have fakes. So much easier and cheaper and to maintain.

I tried over the year to let grow my nails, I don't really wear fake nails, if so maybe once per year, but anyway my nails are very weak, they chips all the time, too soft...

I wish there was a miracle product out there...

BEA2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa
I tried over the year to let grow my nails, I don't really wear fake nails, if so maybe once per year, but anyway my nails are very weak, they chips all the time, too soft...

I wish there was a miracle product out there...

my nails are like that, too - which is probably why i did not mind the damage fake nails caused. my nails are too soft to ever grow over my finger.. i dont know if it is diet or genes or anything. my family all eat healthy (expect not me so much) but their nails are all short and soft too so who knows?
either way i love fakes i love the look but i'm too broke to bother.. i polish my nails all the time and started to love the look of short polished nails.