The Acrylic nail job from hell!!!

DILLIGAF

The only thing thats going to help right now is patiently grow the nails out. The products mentioned in this tread would be the same ones I reccommend. Specially the Nail Envy. Oh and have you considered vitamins to maybe speed up the strenghtening of your nails?

Darkness

What a horrid experience. I know I'll never bother having those acrylic nails ever again. When they took mine off, my nails were so thin and weak for ages. Plus, the nail bed was exposed in parts on most of my nails, I was in agony. I had to keep cutting them super short and I rubbed some antiseptic cream (Savlon..don't know if you can get it in the US) on them every day. Try using some almond oil, as that will help too.

JamaicanDiva2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacakeanyone
Now, I don't know if this actually contains ingredients that are beneficial to nail growth, but Sally Hansen's Triple Strong gel strengthener stopped me before I ever got into artificial nails! My nails are so crazily strong with it and so goshdurn shiny, I decided spending $500+ a year on fake nails wasn't worth it for me personally. I just picked some of the Triple Strong up at Ulta, but any drugstore will have it. It's in a square dark-green-glass bottle. Hope this helps!

I totally agree!!! I "third" the Triple Strong! Last year I met a girl w/ literally the longest, strongest, most healthy looking natural nails I have ever seen, and she told me that she swears by this stuff, so I went out and got it, and it completely saved my weak, thin, peeling nails!!! I've also tried Nailtiques and NailTek and millions of other strengthening polishes, but this stuff is not only cheaper, but works just as well or better as the more expensive stuff! Which reminds me, I need to go buy some more!!!
lol.gif
thmbup.gif

HTH

shatteredshards

The best thing you can do for your nails is not get them done - they damage your nails to make it work, and then how convenient for their cash register that you have to keep coming back for upkeep!

A couple things you may want to consider while you grow your nails out, and even after:

1. Biotin supplements. Make sure you read up on it first, so you understand the RDV and the toxicity levels, but to give perspective I take 5000 mcg daily, with my multivitamin and such. (Bonus: it's good for your hair, too!)

2. Only use a glass (aka crystal) nail file. This will be harder to do while you grow your nails out, because you will probably have to stick to clipping them to get rid of the bad stuff, but once you have grown them out consider ditching clippers and grit files completely. Glass files are better for your nails, and, when used properly, will seal the tip of your nail on their own so that your nails don't peel. I don't use clippers anymore and my nails are better for it.

fly_easy

Sally Hansen Nail Protex and Nail Magic are 2 that I swear by. You will see a difference quickly with both. Both are under $10.

Kazzii-Loves-MA

Heya hunny,
this sounds really horrible. These people sound really rude, i would never talk to one of my potential customers like that :O. Hun your nails are like this because of the acrylic nails, i am currently doing beauty therapy at college. We will not perform this service of applying acrylic nails, we encourage natural nails. I must admit false nails look very pretty, but they do dehydrate, dent your nails and you could get a fungal infection if you keep getting them filled because of all the bacteria between the acrylic and your real nail. hope your nails are all ok now sweetie.
Kaz x x

Janice

I would never, EVER get acrylics again. Not only are they unhealthy for your natural nail, it's IMPOSSIBLE to find and keep a manicurist who is gentle and kind while you're in their chair. (apologies to those who ARE out there, but honey, you are one in a million)

Bio Sculpture gel nails are my holy grail, I can't believe this exists, nail enhancement product. Anyone who is tired of acrylics should see if they can find a salon in your area who uses this.

Anywho - basically this is a gel that is gently painted on your nails like nail polish and is totally removable until you "cure" it under the light. After it's cured you have gorgeous salon perfect nails for as long as you want. I go in every two weeks for fills still but my nails look everyday like I went to the salon and got a manicure.

I am terrified of acrylics and was going through yelp looking for "best manicurist" when I stumbled across a little nail studio where it's just the owner and she uses this product exclusively. She totally phased out acrylics because of the chemicals and damage they cause.

I totally sound like an advertisement, but I am just that damn happy with discovering a healthy alternative to acrylic nails. Here is the website for the brand. Bio Sculpture USA

nursie

i do not plan to ever have an acrylic of any form, or anything that 'requires' a 2 week fill in again.

i had always been a nail biter. chewer. hangnail-haver....to the point of bleeding. gross,yes.

i got acrylic nails as a way of preventing nail biting, and of course to finally have nice looking nails. i wore them for 5 years straight. i hear people say they take a 'break' from acrylics, but i never did. every 2 weeks for 5 years i'd be sitting in someone's chair.

honestly, most of the time my nail techs were careful. but it doesn't take much to really F-up and leave you with a throbbingly painful fingertip. i had the dremmel cuticle burns,ripped real nail upon acrylic 'take off and replace full set'....not to mention things i would do like getting them caught on something and the entire nail flipping backward and off (and feeling like i had just self amputated!).

i never wore my fake nails crazy long, but over the past couple of years i preferred them to be shorter and shorter. i just started to like the look better. i began to wonder if i could have decent nails without the acrylic coating, which i felt was keeping them strong.

about 3 years ago i started taking daily a women's multivitamin,msm/glucosamine supplement,and a biotin supplement for overall health and specifically at the time for hair health. i feel sure this regimen has helped my real nails (which i was continuing to cover up with acrylic) actually be quite strong, unlike how they were prior to wearing acrylics.

at the beginning of this summer i did not go back at the 2 week point. another 2 weeks went by and my grow out looked weird but i just left them alone. i finally ended up picking at them and removed the final bits of acrylic. it took the full months of june july aug for all of the paper thin frail real nail that was under the acrylic to grow out.

my real nails are finally healthy and cute, and i've no desire to chew. so for me it served its purpose, but i had really begun hating being a slave to 'the chair' every 2 weeks.

Superkaz

That is absolutely terrible
I think you get what you pay for.....

Invest in some cuticle oil, everytime you think of your nails, get the oil out and rub it into your cuticles.
I mean it, my fav is Creative Solar Oil which hydrates like crazy.
My nails have never looked better.

Acrylic nails shouldnt be damaging your natural nails if the technician knows what they are doing. Nor do natural nails 'need to breathe', you can go 5 years and if the technician truly loves/knows her job than she will cause you no pain. (except for maybe the occassional slip of the drill and nick you)
Its not the tool, its the fools who use them.

Kazzi is half right about bacteria being able to grow there but thats if the acrylic nail detaches itself to the natural nail and then the moisture, warmth and stuff causes the bacteria to grow.

ruthless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixxan
8 weeks ago I had acrylic nails done. I kept them on for about 6 weeks making sure to go in every two weeks to get them filed. After about 6 week I removed them myself because of drill burns, cuts, and horrible service from various nail techs. The entire experience was nightmare.

(salon#1) When the nails were originally put on the nail tech cut me and then started drilling my finger pretending not to notice the blood dripping from my hand. I had to literally scream to get this woman to stop drilling my bloody finger. Then this nasty person took the bloody drilling a placed it back in her drawer without cleaning it. The store manager assured me that he would have her sanitize the equipment before it was used on anyone else. I ended up leaving without my nails being completed. (salon #2) A few days later I went to another salon to have them finished.

(salon #2) Since this salon did a good job fixing the first salon's mess I returned here for my first filling, bad idea. At the first filling the nail tech gave me a very bad drill burn then she pretended she could speak English when I told her that she burnt me. A few days later I to return to the shop because the filling job she did fell off.

(salon #3) I had to find yet another salon for the third filling. After the tech claimed to be finished with my nails I noticed that the base of my nails was 1/3 inch high. I tried very nicely to explain to the tech that my nails need to be drilled and that the nail line was not natural looking. I looked like someone hit my fingers with a hammer. The more I explained the less he claimed to understand. Finally a nail tech comes over that speaks English and said the exact same thing I had been saying all along. So this jerk starts drilling my nails as if he is trying to hurt me. I lost it and I couldn’t believe the words that were coming out of my mouth. Another tech offered to fix my nails but by that time I was too pissed to have my nails done. I went home and removed them myself. No nails on earth are worth this kind of treatment, no thanks.

What shocks me about this entire nail saga is none of these nail tech cared about how they were treating their customer. I really felt like they saw me as a piece of meat with $25 bucks. I don’t understand why would you use a potentially dangerous piece of equipment on a person that you can't communicate with to determine if something is wrong? I guess I should have asked if the techs spoke English before I let them do my nails but I didn’t want offend anyone, I regret it now. This whole experience has been shocking and disgusting.

Since removing them I can't get any nail polish to adhere to my nails for longer than a few hours. Also, my nails are so weak that anything touching them hurts. There is no sign of infection and I don't think I have one but the slightest bump on my nails hurt. I'm really at a lost here this was the first time that I had fake nails so I don't know what I should expect after they were removed. Does anyone know why my nail polish won't stay on? Is there anything I need to do get my nails back to a healthy state?

Forgot:

My nails have a lot of dents, ridges and scratches.
Thanks

Acrylics will do that , they shrink when they cure and even after you take them off you'll have a pressure line where the last fill was.

Unfortunately, many techs and people believe you have to file down the nail surface to get the acrylic or whatever to adhere. Not so!!

It seems to me you've had bad experiences with a bunch of "Non Standard Salons" is what the industry refers to them as. Sounds like your area has a bunch of crappy ones!

Proffessionail, which is where I get mine done can do a full set of pink and whites in under 45 minutes. They're FAST, all Vietnamese and do walk ins only. Like McNail. I've never really had a bad experience with them but they have burned a thumbnail before with the sanding.

My only advice is to keep some kind of polish on your hands at all times and just give them a break, keep them filed short and start over when they're not sore.