The Faces behind Facebook

Dizzy

http://albumoftheday.com/facebook/

*You need speakers turned on to really get it, but if you don't have them you can still get the gist of it*

I saw this today and wondered why did these people set the site up? And how many people actually read the TOS before putting their life stories on Facebook?

I think it's actually a bit scary. What do these people need to know about our day-to-day lives like this, especially since it targets such a specific demographic?

What do you think about it: is it something worth noting, or should we just put our tin-foil hats away?

Beauty Mark

The short version is yes, you should be concerned with what you put up on the Internet; that's why I don't use my real name or anything strongly connecting myself here to my real life
smiles.gif

With Facebook, people were/are pretty stupid. If you think about it, before the mini-feed, anyone on your campus could have stalked you. If you list any information about yourself, it would be pretty easy. Your class schedule- goldmine if I wanted to see where you were at times of the day. Your major even- at my school, there were certain buildings that certain majors spent most of their times in. Then, of course, there are the obvious ones where people list their phone numbers, addresses, etc. If you must have that info, lock it. My profile on Facebook is very much locked

Some companies really do google or pay people to look you up on Facebook or MySpace you to make sure you're a fine person. My last boss admitted to having googled candidates. Make sure google has nothing up there that you wouldn't want your boss to read. If you have info about your hookups and whatnot, lock it again.

I imagine Facebook would be a great way to do marketing, checking out what the young people like and knowing what to target at them.

People get mad at Facebook and complain about the lack of privacy, when really, the users have to be accountable for what they put there. Be smart about it.

macslut

My facebook is so boring it is really sad. I don't put class information or address on there. I have had a stalker...it isn't fun. I also have it set up that unless you are in a group I am in or I have you as a friend (and as we speak, I have 4 whole friends), you can't see my entire profile.

HeroinesHeroine

Things such as that are reasons you should be careful what you use the internet for. Future employers, as well as potential friends, business partners, significant others and their families, have the opportunity to learn more from you by the internet. The fact that they're storing the information in one location doesn't change much. You're putting out the information, and they're keeping track of it. If you don't put it out, then can't store it.

saniyairshad

Thank u for this wonderful link, I hate sites like myspace, friendster, and facebook, they are nothing but inviting trouble. U have no idea who it really could be, if u really need to keep in touch there are phones, cell phones, and messengers which are way more personal. these sites are beyond me...

Dizzy

I just realized I never put my own opinion to my own post.
hmm.gif
Whoops!

Anyway, I don't like sites like Facebook, Myspace, Friendster, etc. and to be perfectly honest, I'm sort of afraid of them. I had a myspace back in the day (I'm talking like before anyone really knew what myspace was in like 2004) and I had all my friends on it, etc. It was fun, but originally there were no privacy settings at all.

Then I had this random guy from a local high school sending me messages all the time (I'm talking like 25-30 a day, every day) then somehow managed to find out where I worked (mind you, I was sixteen) and started sending me messages like "I know where you work," and "I know what your car looks like", etc. He started showing up at my job, school events (I was a cheerleader so i was at all of them), etc.

I deleted my myspace real quick after that started, and made sure I had at least 2-3 friends with me everywhere I went. He finally left me alone about three months later. The kicker? I never once responded to his messages. I look at myspaces now and I think how stupid I was and how naive these kids are. Seriously, with all the info you can put on Facebook (and how many people do you know that have all of their info on there!), does anybody stop to think who really needs to know all of this? My friends don't know where I am half the time, why? Because they don't need to.

Honestly, if someone really wanted your phone number or email address or home address, why wouldn't they just ask for it and you can keep some shred of privacy? Do we really have to keep *that* connected to *EVERYONE* at all times, regardless of the consequences?

soapbox.gif

saniyairshad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
I just realized I never put my own opinion to my own post.
hmm.gif
Whoops!

Anyway, I don't like sites like Facebook, Myspace, Friendster, etc. and to be perfectly honest, I'm sort of afraid of them. I had a myspace back in the day (I'm talking like before anyone really knew what myspace was in like 2004) and I had all my friends on it, etc. It was fun, but originally there were no privacy settings at all.

Then I had this random guy from a local high school sending me messages all the time (I'm talking like 25-30 a day, every day) then somehow managed to find out where I worked (mind you, I was sixteen) and started sending me messages like "I know where you work," and "I know what your car looks like", etc. He started showing up at my job, school events (I was a cheerleader so i was at all of them), etc.

I deleted my myspace real quick after that started, and made sure I had at least 2-3 friends with me everywhere I went. He finally left me alone about three months later. The kicker? I never once responded to his messages. I look at myspaces now and I think how stupid I was and how naive these kids are. Seriously, with all the info you can put on Facebook (and how many people do you know that have all of their info on there!), does anybody stop to think who really needs to know all of this? My friends don't know where I am half the time, why? Because they don't need to.

Honestly, if someone really wanted your phone number or email address or home address, why wouldn't they just ask for it and you can keep some shred of privacy? Do we really have to keep *that* connected to *EVERYONE* at all times, regardless of the consequences?

soapbox.gif

I would be scared shitless, I totally understand what you're saying, I can say I've never been in a postion like that but watching all those Oprah shows about internet predators and stalkers, it scares me to even put my picture on a site. That's what I love about Specktra, FOTD's are private, but I still get scared. That's why I never post any pics, I'll comment on other people's pics but never post any because of my own beliefs...again I would sincerely like to thank you for your post!!!!

MiCHiE

I always think about the airline stewardess who was on Oprah after the airline fired her for "private" pictures on her blog....Ofcourse she's suing, but people's thoughts boggle me. In 2007, we still don't know who's out there, so I don't get the whole "myspace.com/____________: Feel free to add me" vibe.

Dizzy

I was sixteen and I was scared out of my mind!! My parents and I went to the police and everything, and he still wouldn't leave me alone. He finally stopped when my oldest brother (at the time he had just gotten out of Basic) threatened him if I ever even saw him again. Thankfully, I think my brother scared the bejeebus out of him (he's a big guy) because I never saw him again anywhere.

I know now how freaking lucky I was- that could have taken a turn for the worse, and I could've easily ended up on the side of a milk carton.
icon_eek.gif

And I totally agree with you about being afraid to post FOTD's! It's awesome that they're closed, but still, how many people can sign up for an account and never post, you know? Especially after my myspace-fiasco, I guess you could call me paranoid, but I'd much rather people see my makeup on my face rather than in a picture on a "have you seen her" poster.

MiCHiE

Wow....I'm glad you weren't physically hurt by that wacko. What did the cops say? It makes me wonder if they'll blame the victim for posting all their business. I amazed at the people who enter their names as part of MySpace's search function....and then you go to their page and they have thier jobs listed with friends' comments like, "You ain't left that ratty ass job yet!!?!?!".

CLASSIC.

saniyairshad

Totally and completely agree with u!!!! The world is a scary place. Sure it has some good people, but u cannot let ur guard down with anyone. People are freaks out there!!! Now i wish there was some way someone would tell those 13-16 yr olds who think it's so 'cool' to post ur pics and private info as well as addresses online. It's so sad to read the statistics of missing kids and girls/guys who get sucked into the whole online predator thing.

Dizzy

They told me they couldn't really do much because he hadn't actually done anything to me- just freaked me out a bit. The only reason we really went is because my dad was a cop in the city at the time and he said that we should start a report just in case he did do something there'd be a paper trail.

Quote:
and then you go to their page and they have thier jobs listed with friends' comments like, "You ain't left that ratty ass job yet!!?!?!".

CLASSIC.

rofl.gif

You're totally right about the job situation. Imagine how many employers not only google their applicants/employees but now they can myspace/facebook 'em too? I wonder if that would have any effect on if they get hired/fired?

saniyairshad

I wish there was someway to reach out, and voice our opinions against these sites, they do nothing except invite and cause trouble. It's depressing
ssad.gif

Dizzy

You know what the saddest part is? There are kids out there who have even worse experiences than mine, and yet nobody listens!

My friends who were with me through it are still on myspace and facebook, and I seriously just wan to smack them sometimes! My best friend in particular has her *ENTIRE* schedule posted on a myspace post. I'm talking like Sunday-Saturday, class schedule, work schedule, clubs, parties, etc. that she updates weekly pretty religiously.

My jaw dropped when I found that out. I had basic info on mine- my *real fricken name* wasn't even on it, I didn't have my school on it, all I had was a few pics, my age, my nickname (I have a weird spelling of a common name), a vague info about me, and comments from friends and this kid found me. Now what can people do with all of her info? And what about all of hte other kids out there who put the same stuff up?

Seriously, are we the only people who didn't eat paint chips as children and that's why we understand this concept?! lol

MiCHiE

Yeah....for the 3rd time, I joined MySpace..LOL. I was amazed at how many people I found by just typing their names.

MiCHiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by saniyairshad
I wish there was someway to reach out, and voice our opinions against these sites, they do nothing except invite and cause trouble. It's deoressing
ssad.gif

But, people have to use discretion. Yeah MySpace asks seemingly harmless questions to obtain info about you. But, you have the ultimate control. Nothing is required.

saniyairshad

People are pathetic, who think it's cool to have their past present and future all posted on myspace etc. it's pathetic. my 16 year old cousin has pics of hers posted all over, and she has things like oh we went to the mall today with location and everything. It's sad they use real names with first and last all mentioned. what school they went to, what their interests are. God it's pathetic.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by saniyairshad
I wish there was someway to reach out, and voice our opinions against these sites, they do nothing except invite and cause trouble. It's depressing
ssad.gif

It isn't the site's fault. I think sites like MySpace, Facebook, and so on can be very useful and good. For instance, even though I'm not a fan of posting what classes you're taking, I was once out of class and told to find someone who had the review notes for the exam the following week. I didn't know anyone in that class, but I clicked on the class link (I temporarily added it to my profile) and located someone kind enough to allow me to borrow notes.

No one holds a gun to your head and forces you to put your life on the Internet or makes you make your profile public. Plenty of my friends, as well as myself, make their profiles private, only add people they know, etc. Like everything in life, people just need to remember to practice caution.

Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
No one holds a gun to your head and forces you to put your life on the Internet or makes you make your profile public. Plenty of my friends, as well as myself, make their profiles private, only add people they know, etc. Like everything in life, people just need to remember to practice caution.

Very good point, but take it one step further. What if it's not the people who use facebook that you have to worry about giving your information to, but rather the people who run it (like the link suggests)? You can have all of the private settings you like, but any info that you give to them they can use for any purpose at any time without your consent. How many people do you think read the TOS before signing up?

I think the link is a tad bit tin-foil hatish, but it really makes me wonder why all of these specific people wanted to have access to all of this info about such a specific demographic. To make money? Perhaps. Or maybe it could be for some other reason?

Beauty Mark

I'm going to guess that it's a cheap way to check marketing stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if the US gov't would use it to make sure people aren't planning on terrorist acts or other suspicious activities; I do believe that there are better ways to monitor that than Facebook. However, the US gov't can find out a lot of that info anyway, if they wanted.

I think it's important to question why those companies do things. However, if you don't read the TOS/privacy policy, that is your own fault. I read everything that I sign or virtually sign. Furthermore, I don't think that their disclaimer is unique; IIRC, similar disclaimers exist for a lot of other sites.

I personally think that the video was sensationalist (could they have made it any more creepy?), and I question why it was created and who created it.