The Faces behind Facebook

Dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
I think it's important to question why those companies do things. However, if you don't read the TOS/privacy policy, that is your own fault. I read everything that I sign or virtually sign. Furthermore, I don't think that their disclaimer is unique; IIRC, similar disclaimers exist for a lot of other sites.

The only thing is that it's not a disclaimer, a disclaimer exempts the company from fault. This is the *user* giving the *site* permission to use it as it pleases without a time limit or any sort of limit as to where it can be used.

Hypothetical situation: election time rolls around, and the owners of the site (whose jobs are in politics, or politically influenced) need to appeal to the 18-24 demographic. They take a quote out of context from someone's facebook, plaster it all over national TV in an "endorsed by so-and-so" campaign, which is easily found who that source is through google, facebook searches, etc. Now that person's name and possibly facebook is plastered all over the internet, even if the person takes it down the company still reserves the right to use anything that was once on that site.

Can this affect people? Sure. If they're involved in a political campaign, if they're a government employee, if they're an intern in a public space, not to mention future employers and such.

Quote:
I personally think that the video was sensationalist (could they have made it any more creepy?), and I question why it was created and who created it.

As far as I know it was made by a student who created it for a class as an attention-grabber for a debate, IIRC. It's very 'out there', I know, but it grabbed my attention.

astronaut

It doesn't surprise me at all. And a lot of college students are really stupid with facebook too. I don't find any purpose to post my number, address, etc. anywhere on the internet and what I'm doing every second of the day.