The NC50 Thread

bobbiedoll03

Awesome Thread!

Very Helpful ladies. I currently use NC50 as well in studio fix fluid and was wondering if any of you had any good cheaper/ drugstore dupes for oily skin.

Thank You :)
I just Revlon Colorstay Oil Free (make sure you get the one for oily/combo skin) in Caramel and I set it with a powder and I am usually good throughout the day. I also use a mattifying primer before any foundation.

sagehen

I just Revlon Colorstay Oil Free (make sure you get the one for oily/combo skin) in Caramel and I set it with a powder and I am usually good throughout the day. I also use a mattifying primer before any foundation.
What powder do you use? I am trying to figure out the best one to use with Colorstay.

sagehen

Ladies I just have to report this here: that Marc Jacobs Genius Gel foundation in Cocoa Medium, set with the Perfecting Powder foundation in Cocoa, has made it thru 13 hours so far. I did my face (I did set with a heavy-duty setting spray), but I am very oily, and it has held on my face through a looong day, part of which included a funeral and graveside service. I have blotted once, and powdered once. That's all. I usually do that much by 10 am. This is the second time it has performed well. The first time I had it put on at a Sephora with no primer, and it lasted maybe 8 hours before noticeable breakdown, but this time I used Boots No. 7 Beautifully Matte primer. Feels like nothing on, a little goes a long way, very pigmented. It went on with medium coverage and still looks decent. This stuff is NICE. I didn't want to like this stuff, but I do. This is my official "special occasion" foundation lol.

Wordyodopefresh

NC 45-50 with golden undertones and super oily skin. NC 45 is too light, and NC50 is a bit too deep, but I usually go with NC50.

Foundations/Tinted Moisturizers:
Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Even Finish Compact Foundation in Warm Almond 6.5 (oil free)
Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer Walnut

Favorite Blushes:
NARS Taj Mahal
NARS Taos
MAC Loverush
MAC Love Joy
MAC Blunt - good contour color

Favorite Highlighters:
Benefit's Watt's UP
MAC Shell

Favorite Bronzers:
MAC Mineralize in Deep Dark
Milani Baked Bronzer in Golden

Favorite Lipsticks/Gloss:
MAC Ruby Woo (cult classic)
NARS Dolce Vita
MAC Fast Play
MAC Vegas Volt
MAC Impassioned
MAC Spirit
MAC Rebel
MAC Smoked Purple (discontinued - try Cyber)
NARS Cruella
NYX Xtreme Lip Cream in Natural
NYX Xtreme Lip Cream in Nude Peach Fuzz
MAC Rare Exotic (discontinued)

lenchen

Hi Saghen, Sorry I'm just now seeing your post. I stopped using the NARS because I became obsessed with tinted moisturizer. I use the NARS sheer glow on occasion but not often.

lenchen

Ok, I found my "perfect" foundation. It's Make Up For Ever Pro Finish Powder in 177. It's a powder that can be built up to full coverage. But, you don't need a lot of powder to cover really well. I've just been using concealer to cover some spots, tap a little powder on my face, and then buff it. The powder can also be applied wet (I guess for fuller coverage) but I think that this is unnecessary because the dry application coverage is so good.

I have stopped using my Bare Minerals foundation (which I wasn't too fond of anyway) and my MAC MSF natural. This completely blows MAC Studio Fix power out of the water. You will think that Studio Fix powder is garbage after you use this product. I have also used Becca Mineralize Foundation, and the coverage and color of the MUFE is wayyyy better.

I think that this powder is slightly yellow based (the packaging says that 177 is a neutral color, but I think I see yellow in it when it's applied). The 175 was a perfect match for me when I sprayed my face with Fix+ after I applied it (which means that the powder oxidizes to a darker color), but since it will be Spring soon, I went with the darker 177.
I agree the Make up forever pro finish Powder great I love it I have it in 177

sagehen

Hi Saghen, Sorry I'm just now seeing your post. I stopped using the NARS because I became obsessed with tinted moisturizer. I use the NARS sheer glow on occasion but not often.
Thanks - I appreciate you responding. Good to know because I have been wanting to try the NARS foundation you mentioned.

sagehen

So, ummmm, do those of you who use Lancome Teint Idole 24-Hr feel it has scent? I just noticed it says it is "fragrance-free". This is what keeps me from trying many Lancome products, and I am seeing that 470C and thinking it should be mine. Any recent experience with Teint Idole ladies? And color advice? I am wondering if the C shade might be too pink, but I keep hearing that it's a perfect NC50 match..

lenchen

So, ummmm, do those of you who use Lancome Teint Idole 24-Hr feel it has scent? I just noticed it says it is "fragrance-free". This is what keeps me from trying many Lancome products, and I am seeing that 470C and thinking it should be mine. Any recent experience with Teint Idole ladies? And color advice? I am wondering if the C shade might be too pink, but I keep hearing that it's a perfect NC50 match..
I haven't noticed a scent using Lancome Teint idole 24 HR

Jubilae

I noticed it had a scent. It also oxidized on me and made me orange.

sagehen

I noticed it had a scent. It also oxidized on me and made me orange.
Ohhh, could you tell me what shade you used and what MAC shade you are? I don't want to assume just because it's the NC50 thread. Thanks for your response. I want to know all I can. It's a lot of $$ to invest in a base product. And if it oxidizes, I will be sure not to try it sight unseen on a weekday at work lol.

tiera720

Ohhh, could you tell me what shade you used and what MAC shade you are? I don't want to assume just because it's the NC50 thread. Thanks for your response. I want to know all I can. It's a lot of $$ to invest in a base product. And if it oxidizes, I will be sure not to try it sight unseen on a weekday at work lol.
I know you weren't asking me but I used the Lancôme foundation and it did have a slight perfumey smell which I could have gotten over if it didn't oxidize so much! I seriously felt like an Oompa Loompa at the end of the day. I used 470 suede C. I wanted to love it but I just couldn't make it work. And I'm a Mac nc50.

sagehen

I know you weren't asking me but I used the Lancôme foundation and it did have a slight perfumey smell which I could have gotten over if it didn't oxidize so much! I seriously felt like an Oompa Loompa at the end of the day. I used 470 suede C. I wanted to love it but I just couldn't make it work. And I'm a Mac nc50.
Thanks for your input. This is the color I was looking at. I think I might get a sample before committing to it.

Jubilae

Sorry for the delay...for some reason I don't get notified at all. I'm NC50 in MAC.

That's exactly what happened to me. My coworker was like, what happened to your face??????
th_confused_new.gif
Ran to the bathroom and I was burnt orange. lol.

sagehen

I tried the Kat Von D powder foundation: the store had all 16 of the available shades..  They didn't have the darker shades of the liquid foundation for me to try, although I don't think 66 would have worked for me. Beige undertone as described is neutral and therefore a no for me: I usually need warm and yellow or golden. NARS: no New Guinea to swatch either. The last available shade was Trinidad: too red, too dark.  Sephora can be such a hit or miss when it comes to being able to actually see the darker foundation shades in person:hmm:    In our skintone range, the chances of being able to sell or swap an unwanted foundation are slim to nonexistent: I've ended up having to RAOK mine. So if I'm going to invest $25+, I definitely want to see it before I buy it. This is probably one of the reasons that I have more or less stuck with MAC over the years: there's never any issue with actually being able to see and try the product.
This is so true, and I know I have already said this. But I so badly want to get rid of a bottle of Truffle (6N1) from EL and here it sits. I don't even have anyone to RAOK it to. That frustrates me. However, the thought of this little bottle wasted is curbing my foundation whoring.

Lipstickdiva420

I'm a nc45-50 my face is darker around the perimeter and lighter in the center. I also have red/golden undertones. in mufe i wear 173 and 175.

sagehen

I'm a nc45-50 my face is darker around the perimeter and lighter in the center. I also have red/golden undertones. in mufe i wear 173 and 175.
This is exactly the reason I ask for samples before I buy foundation, because the SA's at Sephora and other department stores like to slap some product on the side of the jaw and think that will do. I have learned to get a sample and take it home to use all over my face and give it time to do what it's going to do. What's the point of unlimited Beauty Bar time for VIB Rouge at Sephora if no one wants to do your face? Lipstickdiva, do you mix or use the two different shades and blend?

Latest posts