Tipping your MAC MA?

AlliSwan

Do any of you guys tip your MA on a regular basis? I'm not talking about adding on a little bit for a full face makeover, but just throwing some $ at your fave MA who helps you out a lot?

I never knew they were allowed to accept tips at my Macy's counter, and now I feel so stingy! For those of you who do tip, what's the going rate? (I hate when people ask what they should tip me, but I really need to know!)

Shawna

I tried to give my MA a tip when she did a makeover and she told me they would be fired for accepting tips. It is strictly against the policy at The Bay (where my counter is)

Demosthenes

I think some places are more lenient, even though it isn't allowed. I've tipped at Macy's and at the regular store, but it was mainly for makeovers. If it was for an event, like I did for a submarine ball, I tipped $10. If it was just a makeover, it's usually $5. I don't know that the going amount is though.... I'm sure they're happy to get something.

Juneplum

i've seen some ma's accept tips before, but the ma's i know say they aren't supposed to take tips?

CaliKris

When my girlfirends and I went to the LA Pro store to have our makeup done, the girl asked at the end when we were paying if we wanted to add the tip to our CC's or just pay cash to our MA. I don't mind tipping, but to be asked to tip, kinda annoys me a bit.

iiifugaziii

tipping is weird. I understand tipping at certain places where they make minimum wage and their jobs sort of depend on their tips (like waitresses and what not). I don't understand the "rules" of tipping. There are some jobs where you work your butt off all day long and you don't get tips at all. Mac Artists make a good wage, and it just doesn't seem very professional of them to accept or to ask for tips. I'm surprised (CaliKris) that they asked you for a tip. That would annoy me too! because then you are pretty much obligated to leave one. If you decline then you're the bad guy.
tipping's weird...

vicuna1

I can see tipping an MA if you're having your makeup done for an occasion that you headig off to immediately after, i.e. wedding, prom, social. But if they are doing it to try some new products on you that you are likely to buy, I just can't see tipping. They are doing your makeup as a benefit to MAC, to sell, not necessarily as a favor to you. If I like what they've done, I buy more stuff, and I guess that is my version of a tip. It has never entered my mind to actually give them cash!

Monique0a

I don't give monetary tips but I have frequently given samples of older products to my favorite ma's who I know have an interest in a particular item. I kinda view it as a thank you for them helping me spend my money....*grin*

AlliSwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicuna1
I can see tipping an MA if you're having your makeup done for an occasion that you headig off to immediately after, i.e. wedding, prom, social. But if they are doing it to try some new products on you that you are likely to buy, I just can't see tipping. They are doing your makeup as a benefit to MAC, to sell, not necessarily as a favor to you. If I like what they've done, I buy more stuff, and I guess that is my version of a tip. It has never entered my mind to actually give them cash!

Okay, this is how I always viewed it. I'm sure they look better the more product they sell, and the other MAs kinda know to stay away and let Tina (my usual MA) "get" my sales. It had never entered my mind until I saw one girl tip another MA (but I think it was for a big makeover) and then later that day on LJ saw a post where a girl was talking about the cost of a "lipglass plus tax and tip" like it was at a restaurant or something....just threw me for a loop, and I was wondering if this was just a commonly known thing. Working for tips myself, I don't ever want to be viewed as a lousy tipper, but I really didn't think they were allowed to accept them!

DoeEyedGirl

I am a MAC artist at a Marshall Field's location. Although I cannot speak for all partnered locations I can say that we are not paid on commission. We are able to accept tips. I never expect tips and certainly do not expect a certain amount...I am always grateful to receive a tip and I have received varying amounts. There are MA's that have asked for tips and I find that in extremely poor taste...some have been fired for such a breech of etiquette. I hope that helps with your question.

Demosthenes

I tip because I want to.
smiles.gif
I do makeup for a living also, and I know that tips help a lot. I agree that it's not expected, and unlike restaurants, there isn't a rule (15-20%) that you can go by, but if you liked the service, and appreciate the MA, tipping is a good way to show your appreciation. I've also brought brownies, chocolate, cookies, etc. to them when I stop by because they've been really nice to me.

I worked in retail for a while also, and I always remembered the customers that brought us goodies, etc. and treated them nicely in return. And even though MAC MA's do make more than other people at counters, their overall income is usually only a little over what the US generally classifies as low income ($24,000 or less).
ssad.gif

Star

It would never occur to me to tip a makeup counter salesgirl, just like I would never expect a tip for doing my own job. Add to that the fact that mac just raised their prices... I had a makeover for d'Bohemia and didn't tip her. I hope she wasn't expecting it. I was required to spend at least $40 to get the makeover so it wasn't really "free".

PhonyBaloney500

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoeEyedGirl
I am a MAC artist at a Marshall Field's location. Although I cannot speak for all partnered locations I can say that we are not paid on commission. We are able to accept tips. I never expect tips and certainly do not expect a certain amount...I am always grateful to receive a tip and I have received varying amounts. There are MA's that have asked for tips and I find that in extremely poor taste...some have been fired for such a breech of etiquette. I hope that helps with your question.

Thanks for the info. I always thought there was some commission involved.

shes a REAL card

i work in a store and although i'm not sure about the "policy," the girls i work with regularly accept tips and i've seen them range from $10-$20.

oh yeah, and we don't get commission so maybe that's the difference? i don't really know.

SonRisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulxdisaster
I never tip, I don't know what I would tip them for! I think they might work commission in counters, anyone here work at one??

The only people who make commission are the MA"s who work at Nordstrom - because they're Nordstrom employees, not Estee Lauder (MAC) employees if you want to get into technicalities. I've been tipped numerous times and while it's always a nice gesture it's not expected.

xoxprincessx0x

I recently got a full face makeover at MAC and spent around $150 on product afterwards. As I was paying at the counter I wasn't sure if I was supposd to give the MA a tip for herself??? I left without tipping her because I didn't want to give too little and make her feel like crap or have her look at me cluelessy when I pass her cashh lol I really want to know for the future if I should tip my MA and how much!