TKB/CS Mica and MAC Pigment equivalencies?

swaly

I was wondering if any of you had any comparisons between TKB or CS micas/pigments and MAC pigments. Obviously, MAC's pigments are blended with other agents to help with its texture and adherence, but otherwise I imagine there are some similarities between TKB Trading and Coastal Scents' mica lines.

(I have seen the MAC pro neon vs. TKB neon video/thread.)

Flowitu

it's an interesting question.

I bought some MAC samples (authentic of course): You're right about MAC ones have something in them to make the textures light and fluffy and 'magnetic' like (in a way I couldn't really describe it)

I haven't bought from TKB or CS; however I've bought from a lot mineral companies that happened to be RESELLERS from TKB or CS in that case. (same colors, textures, etc; after they bought the micas and slap their labels on them) Anyway, TKB and CS sell mostly just micas (okay, some with titanium dioxide, etc, but they do NOT have a base to stick them to your eyes; some micas have larger particles, so..) That's why it is a good reason to find a good mineral company that actually makes their eyeshadows, so you don't get repeat dupes or dislike how they don't stick well on your lids.

Comparison: I bought from Glamour doll eye's strawberry shortcake which is equivalent to TKB's strawberry in POP! micas. And the texture is smooth. Is the color unique? No, it's repacked TKB mica at a higher price.

I've had few greens from a company who make their colors and compare them to the greens I have from MAC: teal, spiritualize, some greens. MAC ones tend to have fluffy powder getting somewhere.... I can do a swatch for you if you like... Just reply to this thread.
smiles.gif

mdjmsj

If you are looking for unique mineral ES, go for Fyrinnae or TheSheSpace. Those brands actually make their own pigment eyeshadows instead of just repackaging and charging more. Fryinnae has some gorgeous shades too-a few very pretty duochromes! Some of my favorites are:

Dragonskin, Aztec Gold, Banana Mochi, Jade Ghost, Winter Again, Biker Chic, Frye and Ice, and Wikked.

I'm not sure if they have any MAC dupes, but they have some gorgeous things regardless.

jacquiqui

i have TONS of TKB mica's and would be glad to swatch a color you see on the website to see it swatched on skin. (i'm a NW20-25 for reference.) i don't have any mac pigments to compare cos i have way to many TKB mica's.

Merenwen

There are probably a lot more, but here's a beginning!
MAC green brown = TKB dragonfly mica
MAC blue brown = TKB chameleon fine
MAC heritage rouge = TKB deep russet
Hth
winks.gif

Kragey

In my experience, these are rather close matches, if not exact matches:

MAC Golden Lemon = TKB Lemon Pop! (mixing some gold pigment with LP will make the color a nigh on perfect dupe)

MAC Mutiny = TKB Siren (under recipes) or True Blue (just not as shimmery)

MAC Naked = TKB Oriental Biege or Aladdin's Lamp (a bit darker and more shimmery)

MAC Chartreuse = TKB Chartreuse (a little more yellow; see recipes) or Deep Green (haven't tried this color yet, but it looks close)

MAC Kelly Green = TKB True Green

MAC Primary Yellow = TKB True Yellow (a little darker)

Kragey

Just a note: if you want the golden shimmery-ness of Mutiny in a cyan blue, Indian Blue is a good dupe for it, and it's a gorgeous color. Probably my favorite TKB pigment so far!

purrtykitty

TKB Trading - dupes for MAC pigments and glitters?!

I've ordered from TKB Trading twice now, and so far I'm very impressed with the quality of glitters. Can't speak as to the pigments, since all I've ordered are glitters.

Some of the glitters I ordered are spot-on dupes for MAC, which is super awesome because they were loads cheaper...$1.50 for a teaspoon sample, $4-9 for 1 oz!!
icon_eek.gif

See swatches here.

Shipping is super reasonable, too, and I think they ship internationally (but don't quote me). I will definitely be ordering from them again in the future.
yes.gif

littlepickle

Re: TKB Trading - dupes for MAC pigments and glitters?!

They do ship internationally, I've been eyeing up a bit of their stuff for a while now
smiles.gif

shatteredshards

While I haven't been buying with the intent of matching MAC, I do believe Chameleon is a close dupe to Blue Green pigment.

I will say that TKB is pretty awesome - in the last 2 months, I've placed 4 orders, and love pretty much everything I get, including the glitters.

Kragey

I worship TKB! Although I think Chameleon Fine is a little more like the blue brown pigment, IMO.

EaboniElii

Im just wondering, can these be used straight out of the sample bag or do you have to do something or add something to them to use them?

purrtykitty

They can be used wet or dry. Used wet, they are more vibrant, and the duochromes (if the color has any) show up better.

Kragey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaboniElii
Im just wondering, can these be used straight out of the sample bag or do you have to do something or add something to them to use them?

I actually did a video about this recently!

YouTube - Making Your TKB Micas Stick

With TKB, can you use the micas alone, or do you have to mix them with something? There were some I wanted to try (cant beat the sample price) but i wasnt sure if you had to mix them or do something special to use them for eyeshadows.

Kragey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MementoxMori
With TKB, can you use the micas alone, or do you have to mix them with something? There were some I wanted to try (cant beat the sample price) but i wasnt sure if you had to mix them or do something special to use them for eyeshadows.

Please see the video I posted above.

heavenlydemonik

tkbtrading.com

So i just came across this site and I've been watching some reviews of the micas on youtube and I'm actually confused about it. Can you use the samples by themselves or do you have to mix them with stuff? What do you mix them with?

BabyGirlB

Re: tkbtrading.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlydemonik
So i just came across this site and I've been watching some reviews of the micas on youtube and I'm actually confused about it. Can you use the samples by themselves or do you have to mix them with stuff? What do you mix them with?

You can use the micas right out of the bag but they won't stick to your skin as nicely as if you added some of their Matte Texture Base to it. It's no big deal tho, just use them wet (water or mixing medium) or with an eyeshadow primer and you're good to go.
yes.gif

Latest posts