To my Desi/South Asian sisters out there! And everyone else too, actually! :)

sharon7

Hi

Hope someone can help.

I am Indian NC42 and still new to makeup.

Can anyon recommend:

red lipstick - i dont wear eyeshadow as I have no confidence so can anyone recommend a red lipgloss/lipstick for me to begin with?

eyeshadow - as I am learning to apply e/s, can anyone recommend an all over colour (my lids are darker than my face) - something to apply all over as I cant yet apply different shades.

many thanks

s

rahana

Hi

Hope someone can help.

I am Indian NC42 and still new to makeup.

Can anyon recommend:

red lipstick - i dont wear eyeshadow as I have no confidence so can anyone recommend a red lipgloss/lipstick for me to begin with?

eyeshadow - as I am learning to apply e/s, can anyone recommend an all over colour (my lids are darker than my face) - something to apply all over as I cant yet apply different shades.

many thanks

s

Hi Sharon!
I'm an NC 40/42, and I find that matte earthy reds and nude shades look better on me. I like MAC Destined, but that's been discontinued. My most recent favorite is rose velvet from Revlon- it's more of a nude but suits my coloring.
For eyeliner I like MAC's Smoky Heir best. I tend to stick to purple or dark blue shades over black or brown- they're good for professional environments but bring out my eyes better than black does.
My go-to eyeshadows: Urban Decay's Naked Palette. I use it for every single look and there's plenty of shades in there you can use for all over color.
In the US, wet n' wild has some nice e/s if you don't want to spend much but want to see what shades suit you- I use their Knock On Wood trio quite a bit.

sharon7

Hi Rahana

Thank you so much for this - I had a look for Revlon but couldnt find the colour - perhaps its not available in the UK? Can you recommend any other from MAC at all?

Apart from the naked palette, can you recommend any all over eyeshadows?

S

rahana

Hi Rahana

Thank you so much for this - I had a look for Revlon but couldnt find the colour - perhaps its not available in the UK? Can you recommend any other from MAC at all?

Apart from the naked palette, can you recommend any all over eyeshadows?

S
MAC creme-in-your-coffee appears to be a good match for rose velvet according to temptalia.
For e.s., I like sable, but if you're just getting one to start out with, I'd say get shroom or brule to highlight your brow line and tear ducts. When I wear light makeup I prefer to just highlight those areas instead of an all over shade, and then apply liner. It opens my eyes more.

If you're just starting out, you should check out oxfordjasmine's channel on youtube- I really like her videos. She's based in the UK, so you will be able to find the products she uses quite easily, I imagine. Gossmakeupartist is pretty good as well.

DirtyPlum

Studio Touch Up Stick - NC 42

I am looking for a blush that does not have that sparkle to it...more mat...I tried Bobbi Brown but its tooooo pigmented

I have sunbasque, Nars Orgasm and Mocha but the Mocha is old so it not picking up...

What can you recommend for a nice natural blush without shimmer?????

I am thinking of buying / checking this summer:
Soba, Ricepaper, Soft Brown, Sable
Nymphette, Lychee Luxe, Deelight
Syrup, Plumful, Vegas Volt
Subculture, pink treat

Any Thoughts??

THANK YOU KINDLY IN ADVANCE!
Hi,

I would recommend Desert Rose, Gingerly, Sincere as good everyday matte MAC blushers.

I think Nymphette and Subculture will be too light for your skintone so you should try them before you buyy them!

Hope that helps x

highonmac

HI ladies! Its been a really, really, really long time since I tuned into specktra! I've been trying to catch up on the past posts! *phew* @serendipity14 I think you should look into Arena. Its a really pretty highlight colour and is a little underated IMO. As for blush, gingerly and fleur power are gorg.

zenvi

Hey everyone... I was wondering, for someone who's a MAC mineralize satinfinish NC 37, how is the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette ? Would it be better to buy the original Naked palette or get the Naked 2 for someone with our skin tone ?

califabulous

Hey everyone... I was wondering, for someone who's a MAC mineralize satinfinish NC 37, how is the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette ? Would it be better to buy the original Naked palette or get the Naked 2 for someone with our skin tone ?
original naked palette is my vote. the MA at UD said the same....

LatteGoodness

Finding a foundation has to be my biggest challenge. Any of you girls have an issue with your face color being darker than the rest of you? Every foundation I use seems to either look ashy or too dark on me... *sigh*.

Yeah definitely got that issue (I'm guessing a lot of the girls do?) have you tried MAC Pro Longwear or NARS Sheer Glow, both are amazing foundations with good colour selections for South Asian/Middle Eastern/Hispanic etc. skin tones.

I find that certain brands (like Lancome, Chanel) are usually death on our skin tones since they are either sooo pink or sooo orange, with no yellow-y goldenness. What do you usually wear?
Yeah, Lancome and Estee Lauder cater almost exclusively to caucasian customers (like the rest of us don't exist!) It really irritates me.
angry.gif
I stick with MAC, but a lot of people recommend MUFE too.

LatteGoodness

I think Naked 1 pallette is the best.

I'm NC40, so I definitely need to use UDPP as a base to make the colors really pop. Another way to make them pop (my lids are a lot darker than the rest of my face, most people think I already have eyeshadow on when I don't!) is to use either white eye liner to fill in the entire lid, or fill it in with concealer (I use MAC SF concealer in NC35).

On a slightly different note, I am floored at how popular this thread became!
yahoo.gif
I totally forgot about it a few years ago and just recently thought about it again. I have spent literally 2 straight days to peruse thru every post, and I've learned a ton. I have a running list of all the MAC (and others) stuff that I want to get! I hope this thread keeps going, seems like it slowed to almost a stop here lately.

Now for my current obsession: I am really late in the game on this one, but I absolutely LOVE Ruby Woo lipstick. It is freaking amazing and I was looking for a bright red lippy for so long, up until my friend who is also brown was wearing Ruby Wu and I was like wow, what is that you're wearing! I heard that it's very similar to Riri Woo from Rihanna's line (one of them, I can't keep up with them all). Speaking of, any of y'all try out her collection? I want them all, but they're always sold out. :(

LatteGoodness

This thread died, boo!
001_unsure.gif

Anyone try the NYX butter lipsticks, or the matte ones? Not sure if those are the same. Ulta has a 20% off sale going on right now, so I may try them...

Latest obsession though? It's this random off-brand lip paint from Ulta called Wonder Lip Paint by J. Cat Beauty, in Mad Splatter. It is a gorgeous dark red/fuscia color which really flatters my skin tone. It's a little drying so I would recommend a primer or lip balm underneath, but it sticks like NO OTHER. Well worth the $5! I'd recommend a lip liner also if you have feathering issues, but thankfully I don't (yet?)

Come on people, let's get this thread going again! What is your latest makeup obsession?
clapping.gif

nt234

Hello! I'm Indo-Trinidadian & NC 42. I've tried the NYX matte lipsticks in Copenhagen and one of the nudes that I can't remember off the top of my head. I love Copenhagen, I dared to wear it to Disney once and it lasted me throughout the day. I only needed a touch-up after I had some hot chocolate, but to my surprise, the hot cocoa hadn't turned it into a mess all over my lips. The nude one is alright, it reminds me of Limecrime's Cashmere on me, but I think I like Cashmere more. I want to try some of the other colours, but the ones I want are always sold out when I check ULTA online and in stores. :(

My latest obsessions are Colourpop Cosmetics shadow in Game Face, Kat Von D's Everlasting Love Liquid Lipstick in Lolita (new formula - it's more brown so it's the perfect nude on me!), and Dose of Colors' Berry Me. I also absolutely love Limecrime's Utopia velvetine...the colour is SO stunning and I think it's flattering for all who love bright pink!

Latest posts