Transit shooting

TISH1124

^^^ I agree...would love to say I was shocked ...But I expected it ....and yep it is pretty said...that civilians lives are considered so much lower than certain government or state job positions or that killing someone accidentially is justified....I'm sure the thoughts would be MUCH different if it was one of the understandable people's own children or loved ones.....

Lauren1981

to me color isn't the issue. from two of the vids i watched this man did not pose a threat to have been wrestled to the ground in the first place. i see that he stood up and he may have done it against their orders but he wasn't fighting, nor did he try to run. i'm saying this because in my opinion, i saw no reason for these cops to have gotten so hostile in the first place.
this is a tragic accident. i don't own a gun or a taser but in my opinion, being a cop who has to be TRAINED in using any weapons he or she may carry, this is a mistake that should have been easy to distinguish. i do see the resemblence between a taser and a gun so i can see how he may have grabbed the wrong weapon to begin with but geez!!! when dealing with that you gotta make sure you have the right thing. but even if he was going for his taser i didn't really see anything that warranted this man being tased either. i mean this cop has to deal with the fact that he tried to tase a man that was not resisting but ended up killing him instead.
idk.
maybe he said something to the cops that ticked them of but this is just ridiculous.
this is just my opinion.
this is sad and upsetting.
it doesn't seem like this man meant to shoot the kid but this is a mistake that i'm really baffled as to how he made the mistake between the two.
i mean, i can make a mistake like that if somebody handed me those things because i'm not trained with either one but him????
come on now.
but i guess shit happens and it's VERY unfortunate some shit like THIS had to happen and cost someone their life.
i feel sorry for all parties involved but mainly the family of the victim.

TISH1124

^^ I agree...I don't think it had anything to do with skin color...I think it was a horrible judgement call, a very stupid mistake or it was a senseless murder. I guess only he knows what he was thinking and why he did what he did and he is not cooperating...hummmm

Lauren1981

^^ now see, him not cooperating baffles me.............
it just makes you wonder what his true intentions were for even pulling a weapon in the first place.
i mean, he honestly looked shocked but damn. he has to own up to what he did. i know this is tragic but, he's on tape, for one. but even if he wasn't and it was indeed an accident, he should at least feel obligated to family to take responsibility for it. i think he owes them that......
idk...
i was watching the vid's in absolute SHOCK

kimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren1981
from two of the vids i watched this man did not pose a threat to have been wrestled to the ground in the first place. i see that he stood up and he may have done it against their orders but he wasn't fighting, nor did he try to run. i'm saying this because in my opinion, i saw no reason for these cops to have gotten so hostile in the first place.

again though, you only see what happened from the time the video started recording. you didn't see the text of the call, you didn't hear the dispatch tape, you haven't seen this man's record, you didn't see what happened when the police first arrived.

the reporting party could have told dispatch that this man had tried to rob him/her at gunpoint, this man could have a record filled with violence, he could have had a felony warrant out for his arrest. only the police who showed up at the scene know those details.

User35

*roll eyes*
Monday morning QB....like someone else said. You guys arent cops,have absolutely no clue what it is to be one ( its not like cops or law and order whatsoever), and have no clue when it comes to the context of the call. I am a cop and I cant even make an opinion on it I dont know enough about it. The media is notorious on putting a negative spin on everything and I dont trust most of what they say.

Believe it or not instances like these are rare. What is not rare is Peace Officers getting killed in the line of duty everyday. Men and women, shot, stabbed, beaten to death and ran over.There are more parolee's and scumbags willing to kill me because I wear a uniform and a badge than crooked cops who are " trigger happy".

thank you Kimmy for your posts
smiles.gif

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieR429
*roll eyes*
Monday morning QB....like someone else said. You guys arent cops,have absolutely no clue what it is to be one ( its not like cops or law and order whatsoever), and have no clue when it comes to the context of the call. I am a cop and I cant even make an opinion on it I dont know enough about it. The media is notorious on putting a negative spin on everything and I dont trust most of what they say.

Believe it or not instances like these are rare. What is not rare is Peace Officers getting killed in the line of duty everyday. Men and women, shot, stabbed, beaten to death and ran over.There are more parolee's and scumbags willing to kill me because I wear a uniform and a badge than crooked cops who are " trigger happy".

smiles.gif

And that is VERY unfortunate and sad....It is horrible that police officers put their lives in harms way daily...even though that is what they all sign up for...It is also unfortunate that a life was taken as well. A lot of cops go through a lot protecting others ...that does not justify someone being killed unnecessarily. IMO.

TISH1124

^^ I am from TX...so you are probably right..I have a lot of friends in Cali...and they seem to be of the same opinion...so perhaps you are correct...I would like to believe not however....Just for my own peace of mine...but I will slip back into reality at some point.

concertina

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieR429
*roll eyes*

smiles.gif

Watch the video. It doesn't lie. I will 'Monday Morning Quarterback' till I die when *THAT* kind of atrocity happens.

I am continually dumbfounded when people try to 'explain away' this incident. I just really can't believe it.

kimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by concertina
Watch the video. It doesn't lie.

it doesn't lie, but it omits a hell of alot of events leading up to what happened which is just as bad.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy
it doesn't lie, but it omits a hell of alot of events leading up to what happened which is just as bad.

Just as bad as what.....being killed? whats as bad as that?

kimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
Just as bad as what.....being killed? whats as bad as that?

just as bad as lying.

yeah it's easy to look at this and take it at face value and go "oh, look at these racist pigs killing this innocent man," but that doesn't make it right. you can't make a fair judgement without having all the facts.

it was easy to look at the rodney king beating and omit the part where he was coked up and put hundreds of innocent lives at risk. it was easy to look at the tiesha miller shooting and omit the part where she was also under the influence of narcotics and reached for the loaded, unlicensed automatic weapon she had in her lap. it's real easy to say the cops just singled these people out because of their race, but that simply is not the case.

i'm not saying the cop was justified, i'm also not saying he's a murderer. i don't know, i wasn't there and i don't have all the damn facts. the media likes to omit alot of things because good cops don't make entertaining news stories...bad cops though? gold for ratings.

TISH1124

well....didn't read anyone call him a racist pig ...but ok....I am not going to take this personal...I am calling it a tragedy...but it's obvious that some people are taking this personal... I am sure he will be tried and convicted....I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever on that point. I am sure before charges were filed for murder...all this evidence was carefully investigated and looked into before the DA filed the charge....

Janice

Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't really matter WHAT was going on before hand. Unless this victim was pulling his own weapon to use against the officers, which we know he wasn't due to the fact that he was handcuffed lying face down, there was NO defensible motivation for this mans life to ended. If it was an accident, why not give your statement and make formal reparations?

Rodney sure as shoot was coked up and a danger to people, but he shouldn't have been assaulted in what was proven to be a racially motivated beating by the people who are meant to protect and serve.

Nothing personal. Just my opinion.

kimmy

Quote:
well....didn't read anyone call him a racist pig ...but ok....I am not going to take this personal...I am calling it a tragedy...but it's obvious that some people are taking this personal... I am sure he will be tried and convicted....I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever on that point. I am sure before charges were filed for murder...all this evidence was carefully investigated and looked into before the DA filed the charge....

a couple people have said that this was racially motivated, i simply don't believe that it was. i believe it was a mistake on the officer's part that would have happened whether the victim was black, white, yellow blue or pink.

the district attourney hasn't had enough time to review enough information to file murder charges, i think it's more of a knee jerk reaction because of the media attention. murder charges usually take months and months of tedious investigation before they're actually filed, yet they filed this one in a matter of days.

TISH1124

I think from Januray 1st when he was killed until the day the charges were filed was enough time to listen to the calls that were placed ...and I agree no matter what was said or done...the guy was unarmed with his hands securely behind his back face down....Ok, what evidence are we looking to see that will make this justified. Hell, he won't even speak in his own defense...why in the hell would anyone else care too?

kimmy

Quote:
Hell, he won't even speak in his own defense.

he may have been advised by his department to not issue a statement until the internal affairs investigation done by the department is over for fear of compromising their own investigation.

kariii

This man was unarmed, he was pulled off the BART because of a fight that was on the transit, the cop who is also young, something in mid 20's.. obviously not that experienced? and from the videos looks like he didn't use his common sense and the training he had been given, you are supposed to use reasonable force. PULLING A GUN and shooting someone in their back while you have them laying on the floor and they are NOT armed is not reasonable force what so ever. I won't even go into the whole OBVIOUS racism issue going on here. If you have any idea, this was in Oakland where all 'the blacks' are known to be trouble.

The only thing that saddens me in this situation is the protesters outside the BART station broke windows of over dozen of businesses in the area and 105 of the people were arrested. The business owners do not deserve this. The family has sued the BART for $25 million for their grief and loss.

The police officer showed no remorse what so ever during his 3 minute hearing, he was even in a box while the people in the court room couldn't even see his face. The dead man's family couldn't even see his face to see he was a bit sorry.

This story touches my heart to see stuff like this still going on as I do live in San francisco.