• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Tutorial Contest Winner June 2009:Let's try to be sexy tonight! (Smokey eye tut!)

BeautyPsycho

Few months ago I did a "challenge" on one of the other forums I go to, the theme was "sex" so I did a smoky eye m/u. I posted it here as a FOTD and got a couple of requests for a tut. I know, I know... it was long time ago, but hey- I did it so that's what counts
smiles.gif

I like this smokey eye because it's not overly dramatic, it's still soft and "natural". It can easily be worn during the day.
This is the look we are going for (these pics are from that FOTD I was talking about, this tut is not going to look 100% like this, but somewhat similar)
IMG_0590.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...D/IMG_0502.jpg

Let's get started-
Naked face (eeek, not so sexy now, are we?
lol.gif
)
001-1.jpg

I always start off by curling my eyelashes. Eyelash curler is my favorite thing EVER! It's the best invention since sliced bread, and if you're not curling your lashes, I dunno what the heck are you waiting for?
smiles.gif
Mine is Revlon and I really like it (gold one sucks tho). Don't just crimp your lashes in two, that's going to look weird, rather "walk" the curler up your lashes, from root to tip. Be careful, especially if you're just starting out. NEVER curl your lashes with mascara on!
nonono.gif

002.jpg

Don't you see how much better and bigger my eyes and lashes look? (one is curled, the other one is not)
003.jpg

Apply your moisturizer, primer and other lotions and potions you like and wait, allow them to sink into your skin before applying your foundation.
I use MAC Studio sculpt (NC20) and 109 (my new fave brush, it's so lovely... I've heard people say they don't like it because it sheds, but just be gentle with it and it's not going to shed.
winkiss.gif
)
004.jpg

I squirt some foundation onto the back of my hand, like so-
005.jpg

and I pick up some of it with my brush, don't over-do it, it's better to start with a thin layer and add on instead of putting too much on and try to get it off.
006.jpg

Then I stipple it all over one area of my face (studio sculpt dries fast, so I just do one area at the time)
007-1.jpg

and blend, blend, blend
008.jpg
Don't forget your jaw, visible foundation lines are not cool.

Next, you do your concealer, on dark circles and/or any other blemishes that you have- I just did my under eye area, using studio sculpt concealer, dabbing it on with a concealer brush.
009-2.jpg

I don't bother to blend with my finger or concealer brush (especially when I'm in a hurry) so I just take my love, 109 and blend in a stroke or two.
010-2.jpg

Do your eye brows however you like, mine are looking really ugly right now, I have no idea how I did this
lol.gif
I have to let them grow out a bit. And yeah, the pencil color isn't the best choice for me. But we'll pretend they look amazing
lol.gif

011-2.jpg

Fill 'em in
012-1.jpg

Put some wax on 'em
013-2.jpg

both done-
014-2.jpg

Take your favorite eye primer and a black base- I'm using too faced shadow insurance and MAC shadestick "sharkskin". You can also use any other black base- paint, paintpot, fluidline, pencil etc.
It's easy to use a shadestick because of the way it looks- it's not too thick or too thin, you don't need a brush- just color in the shape you want. Start right at the lashes and move upwards, little bit at the time. Follow your eye shape.
017-1.jpg

Go into your crease and tiny bit over it (how you're going to do this depends on your eye shape, just take a look at your eyes in the mirror and bring it higher if you think that's going to look better). It's important to see how it looks with your eyes open- looking straight ahead- not half- closed or looking down.

018-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

Both eyes-
020-1.jpg

Use a small brush, q tip or just your finger and smudge the edges, it doesn't have to be perfect, you just don't want to see any sharp edges and lines.
021-2.jpg

022-1.jpg
(weird pic, I know hehe)

Grab your favorite brush for packing the color onto the lid, that would be MAC 239 for me. Also, matte black eyeshadow/pigment- I used MAC Carbon.
023-1.jpg
(Black tied is also in the pic, we'll use it later)

Pack some carbon onto your brush, tap away any excess that you might have and press it over your base, starting in the middle of the lid, right above your lashes (because you want most color there) and move up and out. Don't move your brush left-right like you would when you are blending something, just press the color on. This will minimize fallout (I usually have little to no fallout, and I don't like using the "powder underneath your lashes" trick
th_dunno.gif
but if you do- you are more than welcome to). Just flick your brush out when you are doing the edges, so they look somewhat blended out.

One eye done-
024-1.jpg

025-1.jpg

Use a q-tip to remove any smudges and fix the shape if needed.
026.jpg

Both eyes done-
027.jpg

Next, take your 217 (because it's great for applying color, as well as blending it) and "Satin Taupe" e/s
031.jpg

Put it above Carbon, and blend, so it'll go on the edges as well as over them. Just make sure you don't bring it down too low- you still want to have pure black above your lashes.
032.jpg

Blend using wiper-shield wiper motion, and it should look somewhat like this-
033.jpg

034.jpg

Take a highlighting color that's kind of natural for your skin tone, I used "Ricepaper" and using 217 again (I just wiped mine off) place it above Satin taupe, all the way up to your brows, and also on the inner part of your eyes.
035.jpg

036.jpg

Grab another highlight, this time make sure it's lighter and more frosty/shimmery. I used "Crystal avalanche". Put it on the highest point of your eye- right underneat the brow arch. This will "lift" your eyes and brows.
038.jpg

Also, put some on the inner rim, to open up your eyes
039.jpg

Once again, using a q-tip clean any smudges you might have. You can also use it to define the shape even more.
040.jpg

Now you can grab your Black tied e/s and put it just in the middle of the lid, above your lashes (over Carbon), so you have some shimmer there.
042.jpg

It's not really visible in pics, but IRL it's going to give you this nice and subtle shimmer, it'll look like your eyes are glowing/sparkling
greengrin.gif

043.jpg

044.jpg

045.jpg

Since we used black e/s it's not really necessary to use an eye liner, because it's not going to be that visible, but I like to do my anyways. It's going to intensify the look, make your lashes fuller and also make the whole look sexier by making slight cat eye.

I used Blacktrack fluidline and 263 brush
046.jpg

Don't overdo it, just wing it slightly.
047.jpg

048.jpg

Take your favorite black pencil, make sure it's soft (you don't want to scratch your eyes).
Urban Decay "Zero" is what I used.
050.jpg

Smudge it on your upper lash line, just do little lines at a time, so your eyes don't start watering-
051.jpg
(scary pic hehe)
But the results are amazing-
052.jpg
Your lashes will look so much fuller.

Using 263 and Carbon again
053.jpg
line underneath your lower lashes
go over that line with Satin taupe, using 219
054.jpg

Also, line your inner rims with black pencil.

so far so good-
055.jpg

056.jpg

Mascara time-
057.jpg
Cover Girl lash blast and tweezerman lash comb. Apply one coat of mascara, comb through before it dries, add another coat..you can add as many as you like, as long as you comb your lashes, they shouldn't clump.
choochoo.gif

I did a little bit of contouring using MAC sculpt & shape and 109 brush (you can use it for everything, it's so great)
058.jpg

Find your cheekbone and apply your contouring powder right underneath it. Don't put to much on, you shouldn't even be able to see it, it should be natural.
059.jpg

Always start from your hair and move your brush in, using light movement- don't bring it in too much.
060.jpg

Like I said, make sure it looks like a natural shadow.
061.jpg

Why are you blushing, baby?
greengrin.gif
Maybe you don't like to do your blush when you do smokey eye, and that's up to you, but experiment with it, you may even like it! Just do it with a light hand. I wanted to have a natural pinkish flush, so I used Dollymix and MAC 184 brush/any fan brush that you might have (they'll deposit color lightly which is what we want).
062.jpg

063.jpg

One cheek done, hopefully you can see a difference between the two-
065.jpg

Apply some illuminator/shimmer on top of your cheeks= instant sexiness!
smiles.gif

066.jpg
(188 brush and NARS copacabana)
067.jpg

You can also apply it on your chin, along the bridge of your nose etc. but my face is oily, so I'd rather not
th_LMAO.gif

This is my "lets try to kill that oily face" look
068.jpg

069.jpg

Prep&Prime finishing powder and 134 brush.

Because the rest of the makeup is so shimmery, glittery and smokey, I decided to go with the natural, matte lip color- MAC Kinda sexy. I applied it over a lip balm because it can be drying, and dry, flakey lips are not sexy.

finished look-
071.jpg

075.jpg

079.jpg

080.jpg

081.jpg

082.jpg

083.jpg

084.jpg

085.jpg

086.jpg

090.jpg

092.jpg

Let me pout my lips, maybe I'll look even sexier :
th_LMAO.gif

087.jpg

Pics are not the best, I did this in the middle of the night last night. Hopefully it was easy to follow and you find it helpful.
Thanks for looking!
winkiss.gif

rimberry

Re: Let's try to be sexy tonight! (Smokey eye tut!)

I love this, and the blush makes it sweet but still hot. Awesome, job.
smiles.gif

jamie89

GORGEOUS and totally doable smokey eye! Thank you! (you are beautiful!)

Okami08

Excellent tutorial! I love how you took pictures at every step and showed one side with the step done and one side not. Super helpful!

sharkbytes

Very awesome tutorial! I use carbon and satin taupe all the time, but I never thought to highlight slightly with Crystal Avalanche, and from your pics, it makes a huuuuge difference. I also love the Kinda Sexy for the lipcolor. Thanks so much for posting this!

ruthless

Wow I really hope you win a TOTM for this! I really like it.

Brie

Gorgeous!! I hope you keep posting more!!!

Peach08

Amazing tutorial, hope to see more from you

stronqerx

this is amazing! It looks like like a high end ad.

Latest posts