Under-eye circles - discussion & suggestions

misslexa

Hi all..

My boyfriend has dark undereye circles that arent caused by lack of sleep or water *he gets plenty of both*

Are there any other causes/solutions that you are aware of (short of concealer, he's not down with that!)

Thanks

rouquinne

heredity.

the skin under the eyes is thin - thinner in some people than others. and the veins are very close to the surface there.

he could try a vitamin K and/or arnica cream to strengthen the veins, but that's about it.

Shawna

Definitely heredity. I have tried everything, but both my mom and dad have them, and now I have given them to my son. Plus I lost a lot of weight after I had my son and now they are even worse. I keep telling my hubby I am going to have the fat sucked out of my butt and injected under my eyes to get rid of them. Sigh.

showdoll

I read somewhere that you can thicken the skin with Olay's Regenerist (is that the name?). Maybe he'd like to try that.
smiles.gif

rouquinne

you can't thicken skin without putting something into it.

some "wrinkle creams" claim to add collagen to the skin, but all SOME of them do is stimulate collagen production.

the density of your skin is also hereditary - i have the fair, translucent skin of my Scottish grandmother, while my sister has the thicker, olive-toned skin of our Slavic side of the family.

Cedar

Allergies! "Allergy shiners" are quite common. I swear I have to meld my concealer to my right hand from August to November. Allergies + I'm Malfoy-pale= bad dark circles.

showdoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar
Allergies! "Allergy shiners" are quite common. I swear I have to meld my concealer to my right hand from August to November. Allergies + I'm Malfoy-pale= bad dark circles.

That's what my doctor attributes my dark circles to. :|
rouquinne- yeah I know, that's what I meant to say, but didn't think it was necessary to go into details.
th_wink3.gif

rouquinne

being a little old lady -
winks.gif
- i read More magazine [for women over 40].

there's an ad in there for a dark circle "repair" product called Hylexin.

while it sounds too good to be true and a bit voodoo to me [i used to work for medical researchers, so i'm skeptical of a LOT of claims products make!], it could be worth a try for anyone with serious dark circles that don't respond to anything else.

however it's $95US for a small tube!

icon_eek.gif

take the claims of this product with a grain of salt, it swears it can replace Botox and plastic surgery... yeah... right!

:roll:

mspixieears

Sinus passages that are chockablock full with fluid (as mine get from infections, allergies etc.) will also be more likely to be puffy and/or dark.

I got my ears candled to drain the fluid and it dramatically reduced the darkness of my undereye circles which looked like bruises! It's really easy for the sinus area to retain fluid as it's just not 'designed' that well. At least that is what my doctor told me, so I mean no disrespect to anyone's 'Maker'.

I have also used an eye serum that really hydrated my undereye and lightened the circles/darkness. Sadly, some people do seem more prone to them than others *puts hand up*.

Sushi_Flower

Does Olay's Regenerist eye cream relaly help to thicken the skin under eyes? Mine are very thin and sunken and i have very dark eye circles. Seriously think i need fat injected in them but don't think i'm going down that route any time soon!

MACreation

I used to use a sample of this i got at nordstroms in a clear orangey little tub with a white cap......OMG MIRACLE!!! Too bad i can't remember the brand? UGH!!!!

Bubbles12_98

Something for Dark under eye circles??

My boyfriend is trippin about his dark circles he gets under his eyes. He was wondering if there was anything he could use at night or morning to put on that would take it away or reduce it?? He also specified to me "no make-up" *lol* Do you ladies have any recommendations? I really haven't experienced those circles unless I have a lack of sleep & then I just piled on the concealer *hehe*

persey

I've been using the StriVectin formulation for the under-eye area, but I've yet to see an improvement. I think the best bet is to go for a light-diffusing cream, since he won't wear makeup.

colormust

how about the Benefit's undereye circle yellow stuff? has anyone tried this cause i am tried of my circles?

rouquinne

there's a new cream on the market called Hyelexin or something like that. i like the Avon Lighten Up Plus.

mspixieears

Non-cosmetic things that have worked for me:

reduced intake of caffeine
hot baths (to clear sinuses)
massaging cheeks gently to stimulate blood flow
drinking water, and being active
sleeping on slightly more raised pillow (when dark circles appear, or undereye area is more swollen than usual).

That's about all I can think of. Hope that helps.

leopard_print

Adding onto mspixieears, if he has any kind of allergies or hay fever, taking an over-the-counter allergy pill (like Claritan) can be helpful as many dark circle are aggravated by allergic reactions.

Isis

Have him use an eye cream/gel containing Vitamin K as it will decrease the flow of blood to the area. Vitamin C serums work as well, though not as effective as using Vitamin K. HTH!

pale blue

I work in a department store, and I just see return after return of Hylexin. I asked some of the women that tried it, and they said they felt like they've been had.