US woman translates feminist Koran

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_Frost
Whether this woman's intentions are good or not, I don't think you should translate a holy text that people put so much faith into just so it agrees with your beliefs. She isn't exactly translating it because a certain group couldn't read it (like the first translation of the Bible from Latin to German). It's so it sounds more femenist.

Every piece of written word (and many verbal) is open to interpretation. And the current establishment of Islam (and this varies depending on where you are in the world), translates the Koran to fit their beliefs and position. So it's very possible (guarenteed really) the the versions of the Koran (and any other holy book) has been used to fit the agenda of the current establishment. Her translations is JUST AS VALID as any other. All translation is opinion. It's just a matter of who's opinion you choose to believe in.

Raerae

I found this article interesting considering this discussion.. Specifically this part:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/200..._zk_PW_MWM 0F

Does the New Testament really justify the church's shabby treatment of women? On the surface, it would appear so, at least if we listen to St. Paul:

Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent. I Timothy 2:11-12

Although this verse seems to give a clear explanation of the role of women in the church, things aren't always what they seem when it comes to interpreting the Bible. The first rule of good biblical interpretation is always to examine the historical context in which a passage was written. If we don't know why the verse was written then, we stand little chance of understanding what it means now.

A first-century perspective

Paul's letters were written in the first century to an audience of Jews, Romans and Greeks. Again, this was not the 21st century. It was the first.

First-century life was much like it had been in the previous millennium. That is to say that in most ancient civilizations, women had no rights. Under Hebrew law, a woman was a thing to be bought, sold or coveted like a piece of property or a neighbor's goat. Old Testament laws against rape and adultery gave no recourse to the woman who was violated. Any fines that were levied against the perpetrator were paid to the woman's father or husband who, for all practical purposes, owned his daughter or wife. Marriages were business transactions, with a young woman being the commodity over which men bargained. Whether she brought 50 cattle or 500, all women were chattel. The only thing folks haggled over was the price.

Things were little better in Greece and Rome. Under Roman law, a woman had no rights. As a child, she was her father's; as an adult, her husband's. Both had the power of life and death over her. Little wonder the Apostle Paul instructed women as he did, since most self-respecting Jews and Romans of the first century wouldn't have allowed a woman to teach them anything. She would have enjoyed about the same reception as a slave or a child. Had a woman done otherwise than submit to her husband, she could have been killed. In fact, it is remarkable that Paul gave women the recognition that he did. By first-century standards, he was a liberal.

In his letter to the Corinthians, Paul makes provision for women to prophesy (i.e. preach) in the church. In Romans, he sends greetings to his friend Phoebe, a deacon. And, throughout his missionary journeys, he worked collegially with many women, some of whom the New Testament mentions by name (such as Euodia and Priscilla). Most notable is his reference in Romans, chapter 16 to "Junia" as an apostle of note. Conservative scribes could never let this pass, so some early manuscripts were changed to read "Junias" or "Julius," both male names.

Today's Greek New Testament (the language in which the New Testament was written) as well as more recent English translations, such as the New Revised Standard Version, correct the problem and acknowledge Junia as having been called by Paul as an apostle.

This unusual level of respect within the church for women didn't originate with Paul. Jesus had publicly associated with women - even outcast women such as prostitutes and Samaritans - at a time when few rabbis would be caught speaking to any woman outside of his own family. No, the Apostle Paul did not give the church license to dominate women. Paul's ultimate hope for both men and women was that there would be no distinctions within the church. As he put it in his letter to the Church at Galatia, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Now that's radical stuff.

How to justify past sins

This is not the first time the church has had to escape the clutches of biblical injunctions that have no place in today's world. St. Paul ordered slaves to submit to their masters and masters to be good to their slaves. He never even hinted that a better option for masters would be to free their slaves. Even the most literalistic interpreters of Scripture now concede that for one person to enslave another is sin. Yet, during the 19th century, Southerners, of whom I am one, used the Bible to justify their sin. Two centuries and a bloody civil war later, we should know better.

So, I ask the male leaders of our religious institutions: Will we do the same? The secular world is ready to confer upon women the loftiest mantles of leadership. Will God's own people stand in the way? When church leaders quote texts written in the first century to people living in the 21st century, do we not sound like my Southern forebears who tried to stop the abolitionist movement (and later the civil rights movement) by quoting the Bible?

The irony here is palpable. An institution that prides itself on being the conscience of society has become a barrier to half of its members reaching their full potential. It's even worse than that. What many churches are doing would be illegal were it not for the First Amendment's Free Exercise Clause shielding church from state. Perhaps the saddest thing is that by subordinating women in this fashion, churches are cutting themselves off from a huge talent pool. In a world run amok, can we really afford it?

Oliver "Buzz" Thomas is a minister, lawyer and author of10 Things Your Minister Wants to Tell You (But Can't Because He Needs the Job).

---------------------

Me:

I do really believe thats a huge problem with many people and their interpretations of any "holy book." Especially on the topics of women. As those books were written in a time so backwards with regards to women's rights, many texts really have no place in today's world. Kinda amazing how people cling to an outdated past when it fits their agenda, but convienently forget the parts that dont.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
I do really believe thats a huge problem with many people and their interpretations of any "holy book." Especially on the topics of women. As those books were written in a time so backwards with regards to women's rights, many texts really have no place in today's world. Kinda amazing how people cling to an outdated past when it fits their agenda, but convienently forget the parts that dont.

I completely agree.

Dark_Phoenix

Maybe we should make things easier and just all learn whatever language our religious text was originally written in.

I don't know any Muslims who read an English Quran (my half-brothers are all Muslim), and Jews read the Torah in Hebrew (always, I think)...
But there are Christians who have the ability and means to learn another language but still choose to read the Bible in English... why?

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_Frost
Maybe we should make things easier and just all learn whatever language our religious text was originally written in.

I don't know any Muslims who read an English Quran (my half-brothers are all Muslim), and Jews read the Torah in Hebrew (always, I think)...
But there are Christians who have the ability and means to learn another language but still choose to read the Bible in English... why?

Because latin is a dead language?

And even if everyone did learn to read/write/speak/understand the language their holy book was written in, that doesn't change the fact that many of the meanings are out of date, and do not belong in 2007.

macslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
Because latin is a dead language?

And even if everyone did learn to read/write/speak/understand the language their holy book was written in, that doesn't change the fact that many of the meanings are out of date, and do not belong in 2007.

Actually Hebrew and Greek. Aramaic is what Jesus spoke but the Bible was not written in that language. All three are tough languages to learn. I think, speaking as a Christian, because people don't want to put the effort in. Still, it is so enriching to learn Biblical languages. Quite satisfying.

I loved that article, by the way. A very good explanation. Not complicated either. When you look at the time Paul was writing, many were becoming Christians including women who were coming in from cults including the one dedicated to Diana. These women were being disruptive. He wrote to Timothy who we can assume was having the same problem in Corinth. These women were not allowed to teach as they were new and needed to be silent and learn. ALL new believers need to be silent and learn.

What we also see is Paul saying one thing (women should be silent and learn and not have authority over men) but doing the exact opposite. Prisilla is mentioned before her husband (that is in the original and not just a conicidence). He mentions the fellow apostle Junia. (Junias, as a name, is found in NO OTHER DOCUMENT from that time) So we have a choice: 1) Paul was writing about specific people in a specific time or 2) Paul was a complete hypocrite.

The difference I see is that if I walk into a church and shoot my mouth off, the worse that would happen is that they kick me out. There may be more trouble in Islam. There are fatwas, which are condemnations. There are death fatwas which is a call to put someone to death. Christian church, no one will call for me head...well at least not out loud
lmao.gif

(If I were to pick a favorite apostle, it would be Peter. He had a sharp tongue and a prepensity towards knee jerk reactions to. If God can call him the "rock I will build my church on", then there is still hope that God can work with this lump of clay.)

macslut

One other thing, I am a very strong, very smart Christian woman. I am in the mix of what the great controversy (sp? I need to learn to spell) and debate is all about. When you are in the fray, you learn to pick and choose your battles. Some of them are not worth fighting. If some Independent Baptist or PCA (the church I ran into a lot of trouble in because I would not be silent...they told me I was less than a real woman and I needed to learn my place) minister comes to me and tells me that I am an apostate (everyone know what that means?) or whatnot, I will pretty much tell them to kiss off and roll my eyes. It is not my fight in a way. It is God's. On the day of judgement, they will be held accountable. You know, I would not want to go before God and explain why I oppressed His children. The Bible says "Vengence is the Lord's" I am still learning that but it is a comfort that those who have tried to oppress me and silence me will be held accountable. I want to go before God and hear "Well done good and faithful child."

I should feel moral outrage as that sort of attitude is offensive to God. But I will not have the last word. God will and that is a great comfort to me. He is more powerful than any of us ever will be.