Video Killed the Radio Star

Raerae

Quote:
Sexiness a must for today's lady singers

By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY, AP Music Writer
35 minutes ago

NEW YORK - She was an "amazing talent," a young singer with a wonderful voice who wrote beautiful songs. But she was no beauty, plus flat-chested and overweight to boot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Remembering the aspiring star, music executive Jody Gerson still feels terrible about thinking: "She's never going to get signed, even though she's fabulous."

Gerson might feel even worse after Wednesday night's exit of the matronly Melinda Doolittle from "American Idol." In today's music industry, Plain Janes need not apply. Sex appeal was once considered a bonus for a woman; now it's practically a requirement.

Doolittle and the heavyset, gap-toothed LaKisha Jones were widely considered this season's most talented "Idol" contestants. Yet both were eliminated from the final four in favor of Blake Lewis, who makes the teen girls swoon, and the long-locked, 17-year-old looker Jordin Sparks.

A quick check of the Billboard Top 40 turns up a list of candidates for "America's Top Model": Avril Lavigne, blonde stunner Carrie Underwood; tomboyish but sexy Ciara, fashionista Gwen Stefani and hip-swiveling Shakira (on a song featuring bootylicious Beyonce).

The only two in the Top 40 who might not be considered perfect 10s: Pink, who is still svelte and appealing; and multiplatinum Grammy-winner Kelly Clarkson, who got her break only through winning the democratically elected "American Idol."

When asked whether a female with so-so looks and sex appeal could get a record deal, Gretchen Wilson quickly replied: "They can't."

"I believe that very few will get through and they better be amazing," Wilson said in an interview. "The music is not about just music anymore, it's about the look, the 'it' factor if you will ... it's marketing."

True, looks have always been a part of the music business: Diana Ross played a model in the movie "Mahogany," Marianne Faithfull was considered a beauty, Tina Turner's legs were part of her sex appeal, Olivia Newton-John was the lovely girl-next-door and Stevie Nicks rocked teenage boys with more than just her guitar.

But there also were stars like wild-haired, pudgy Janis Joplin and Barbra Streisand, who challenged beauty standards with her protruding nose. Even curvy Aretha Franklin was known mainly for her one-of-a-kind voice.

Today, it's hard to find a singer larger than a size 6 and without a sexy look — all of which are played up with sensuous videos, modeling spreads and provocative magazine covers. Lavigne, who once scoffed at singers who stripped for the cameras, fronts the new issue of Blender topless save for a strategically placed banner that reads "Hell Yeah, I'm Hot!"

The hit reality show "Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for the Next Doll" is a striking example. In finding a replacement for current lead doll, stunner Nicole Scherzinger, the judging panel — which included the cosmetically enhanced rapper Lil' Kim — did talk about vocal qualities. But while a few contestants had strong voices, all were taut, toned and sexy, and the focus was more on their dancing and overall desirability. Which is to be expected from the group responsible for the anthem "Don't Cha" (as in, "don't cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me?").

Even singers who are heralded for their talent are gorgeous, like Alicia Keys, Corinne Bailey Rae or Norah Jones. And while critically acclaimed Amy Winehouse may not win any beauty contests, her songs have a raw sexuality that give her that "it" factor.

Dolly Parton, whose buxom figure sometimes overshadowed her talent as a songwriter and singer, said being "a good looking woman certainly can't hurt you any if you're trying to make it."

"But I would like to believe that true and great and pure talent will rise above whatever else," the country legend said in an interview. "But certainly in music these days, the better you look, the more apt you're going to get a contract.

"It's a damn pity, though, that people have to judge real talent on looks."

Gerson says the way female artists look reflects our society, where women are constantly judged on their appearance and oversexualized. But she also says it reflects the way we listen to music these days — or don't listen.

"They have to look hot and sexy in these videos," says Gerson, who is credited with helping discover Alicia Keys, among others, and is now executive vice president of the U.S. Creative division of EMI Music Publishing.

"In the days of Aretha Franklin, people saw Aretha maybe a couple of times a year," she said, "but you listened to a record without a visual. You didn't watch it. Everything today, you watch it."

Gerson also agrees with Wilson about the marketing factor. With dwindling profits and budgets, record labels try to maximize artist exposure with clothing deals, cosmetic contracts, movie roles and modeling gigs.

"How many endorsements does Beyonce have? Do you think it's because she's the most talented person on earth or do you think it's because she's gorgeous? I think she's talented but she's also gorgeous," Gerson says. "I think you need the whole package."

And that notion, according to Wilson, "totally sucks."

"My favorite singers in the world were Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn, and Patsy was a large woman, and Loretta — she was never some kind of a supermodel, but they were the greatest female voices in country music, and they changed lives and they made a difference," says Wilson, who, although considered sexy, feels she doesn't fit today's beauty standards.

Where are the Patsy Clines of today? More often than not on smaller, underground labels, which put more of a premium on talent. And with the devolution of today's music industry, Gerson says, small labels may be the best path to success for a woman who doesn't look like a mold of a Barbie doll.

So how would Gerson advise the flat-chested, overweight, amazingly talented singer to chase her dream? Put out her own music and promote herself on the Web.

"As far as we've come as women," Gerson asked, "where are we really?"

Last line is pretty powerful.

MAC is love

Sad. But I also know there's a lot of women out there who aren't the "ideal" gorgeous woman or whatever but they've got pipes like no other...sadly most of the time the skinny chicks have a one up on the other chicks.

XsMom21

Thanks for this. I know first hand about that whole thing. I have been a singer my whole life. I went pro for a little while, but the whole time I always felt like my appearance was more important in the promotional aspect of it, at least until they heard me sing and I developed a fan base locally. Sometimes, I miss singing, but it's things like this article that make me remember why I quit and went back to school.

MiCHiE

Well, with all the Photoshop going on, Aretha could probably do a video today with Denzel Washington as her leading man. As a matter of fact, I was watching "Access Granted" on BET for Fantasia's video, "When I See U" and I was in awe at how FAT the chick was. By the time the final cut aired, I was looking at a totally different body.
And, not only do you have to have the smaller body, you have to have nothing on it. Back when, Beyoncé broke out her solo career with a song called, "Work It Out", a funky cut that gave you a James Brown vibe. She also had a video out for it, afro wig and all. FLOP. She revamped herself and introduced "Crazy In Love". Writhing on the ground, scantily-clad and dripping wet in one scene, a star was reborn. Although a lot of people suspect she's had help for her figure via liposculpture, I'm gonna go with the majorette tights, back arch and instant ass pad theory (she had no ass pre-solo career, now she's the 2nd coming of JLO?). The saddest part is anyone who's seen Beyoncé perform knows that she puts on one helluva show and she can sing (when she's not yodeling) and sing live. I'm sure she would get as far with good material (most of her lyrics suck) and her natural talent. It's just a shame that she, who is even self-concious about her body, has to strip down to sell records.

GreekChick

This article was interesting, even though the writer didn't provide any solutions/suggestions in order to fix this problem. Now many people will think "problem" is too heavy a word to be used here, but it's amazing how much junk we listen to every single day and think the music itself is pure genius. It's sad to know that there are alot of hidden true talents out there that are obscured by newcomers who have absolutely no idea how to sing a single note.
What I feel is that, in the end, it's the beat we are listening to, the music (which has become completely computer generated) and not the actual voice itself. It's probably the reason why Fergie, The Pussycat Dolls, and all those other so-called-singers are getting far.
It used to be about meaningful lyrics. Now, it's all about shaking your booty, letting the computer provide the singing, and spitting out half-written incomprehensible words that they dare call "lyrics". I will never understand how "Bootylicious" made it's place in the dictionnary.
It's amazing how a pair of toned abs can get you a CD, all the while foreshadowing the little girl who has been practicing her vocal chords in her room since the age of 7.

MAC_Pixie04

This was an interesting read. And I'm noticing a lot of the singers who weren't coming out instantly sexxed up are getting sexxed up to perhaps boost sales. Jewel anyone? In one video, she's yodeling and playing the guitar...in the next, she's dressed up in a stripper/firefighting outfit, turning up the hoses of male models in police get ups.
And Macy Gray is on her way to the sexy factory. She used to rock a nappy ass fro and clothes that didn't come CLOSE to matching. Her latest album cover looks like it could be the media for a MAC Color Story or DIOR season look.

Nelly Furtado went from flying like a bird to loving her ass and abs in a video called Promiscuous.

The music industry, especially in this generation, is definitely lacking integrity. It doesn't matter anymore how many octaves your range is, as long as your ass is tight and your chest is perky.

aziza

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04

Nelly Furtado went from flying like a bird to loving her ass and abs in a video called Promiscuous.

I miss the old Nelly *sniff*
weeping.gif

Shimmer

This isn't anything new though. Singers have long been asked to change their looks and potential singers have long been denied based on their looks.
It's just a lot more out in the open right now.

user79

What's pathetic is that some "singers" are getting major record deals and promotion just on looks alone. For example, The Pussycat Dolls. I mean, what exactly are their videos about? Music, or their bodies? Pathetic.

Just another reason why I don't listen to any of that mainstream crap.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
What's pathetic is that some "singers" are getting major record deals and promotion just on looks alone. For example, The Pussycat Dolls. I mean, what exactly are their videos about? Music, or their bodies? Pathetic.

Just another reason why I don't listen to any of that mainstream crap.

They do have some fun songs though =p

I dont think music always has to really be as much about "talent" per say, as being entertaining. Pussycat dolls are fun, and their music is fun. I know they aren't the most amazing singers, but I still like them. I think we all know in 5-10 years, no one is going to remember any of their songs. Because your right, there not amazing, or memorable.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
This isn't anything new though. Singers have long been asked to change their looks and potential singers have long been denied based on their looks.
It's just a lot more out in the open right now.

I think that's true, but I think it's a lot worse now. Look at old music videos from even as late as the 90s. The Spice Girls, for instance, weren't rocking tight bodies with curves in the right places. With the internet and TV, we're becoming such a visual culture that I think the look is taking over more and more.

Men have a little more leeway, but even they, IMO, have to have a certain look.

I don't think there is a solution except for people to speak with their money. Unfortunately, I think too many people are fine or even happy that looks/image override talent more often than not. A lot of people don't want to see the overweight girl sing, even if she can be better than Beyonce.

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
They do have some fun songs though =p

I dont think music always has to really be as much about "talent" per say, as being entertaining. Pussycat dolls are fun, and their music is fun. I know they aren't the most amazing singers, but I still like them. I think we all know in 5-10 years, no one is going to remember any of their songs. Because your right, there not amazing, or memorable.

Yeah that's the thing, their only "talent" is their looks. They dont actually have any input in anything else, I mean they have song writers who write all their songs, and then studio technicians who make their voices sound good with auto-tuning. There is just nothing of substance there. What exactly makes them into musicians? I really don't know...

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
I think that's true, but I think it's a lot worse now. Look at old music videos from even as late as the 90s. The Spice Girls, for instance, weren't rocking tight bodies with curves in the right places. With the internet and TV, we're becoming such a visual culture that I think the look is taking over more and more.

Men have a little more leeway, but even they, IMO, have to have a certain look.

I don't think there is a solution except for people to speak with their money. Unfortunately, I think too many people are fine or even happy that looks/image override talent more often than not. A lot of people don't want to see the overweight girl sing, even if she can be better than Beyonce.

Kelly Clarkson.
She's a heavier girl, by even health standards, she's never going to be a rail, it's not in her genetics or her bone structure, but she's going to be acclaimed for years to come because that girl can SANG. And she's an UBER talented songwriter.
Shew as chosen on AI, as we all know, but...she has talent and ability that transcends it, and though she's a pearshaped barefoot french fry eating country girl from Mansfield/Burleson, she's going to be around for awhile.

Only example I could think of. But she's not really a true example because hey...she's still very pretty.
smiles.gif

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Kelly Clarkson.
She's a heavier girl, by even health standards, she's never going to be a rail, it's not in her genetics or her bone structure, but she's going to be acclaimed for years to come because that girl can SANG. And she's an UBER talented songwriter.
Shew as chosen on AI, as we all know, but...she has talent and ability that transcends it, and though she's a pearshaped barefoot french fry eating country girl from Mansfield/Burleson, she's going to be around for awhile.

Only example I could think of. But she's not really a true example because hey...she's still very pretty.
smiles.gif

I dunno shimmer... I'm betting her album does terrible. You know, the one where she used all her uber talented song writing skills.

Her first single from the album is horried. Never Again? I hope they never play it on the radio again.

Yeh she can sing, but she should stick to singing, not song writing. Apparently she isn't even selling out her concerts for her tour this year. She didn't even want her huge hit single, "Since you've been gone" on the album. Unless the rest of her new album is gold, I know I wont be buying it. I like nearly every song on her first album, but from what I've hear so far on the new one (and the lack of radio play for any song but that one) i'm not holding my breath.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Yeah that's the thing, their only "talent" is their looks. They dont actually have any input in anything else, I mean they have song writers who write all their songs, and then studio technicians who make their voices sound good with auto-tuning. There is just nothing of substance there. What exactly makes them into musicians? I really don't know...

Songwriters write the vast majority of songs we hear on albums. And if the "artist" help, it's usually in collaboration with a song writer, not by themselves. And everyone gets their voices fixed in the studio, everyone. No one sings live these days, everyone is just lipsyncing.

But regardless, who says they are musicians? They are entertainers.

GreekChick

Quote:
Songwriters write the vast majority of songs we hear on albums. And if the "artist" help, it's usually in collaboration with a song writer, not by themselves. And everyone gets their voices fixed in the studio, everyone. No one sings live these days, everyone is just lipsyncing.

But regardless, who says they are musicians? They are entertainers.

I don't think that's true. What about Christina Aguilera, or Mariah Carey (even though she's fixated on her image nowadays)? Mariah Carey especially has written amazing ballads, she totally rocked the 90's. She has written many songs capturing feeling and great eloquence (My All anyone?). I saw her in concert, and wow, can she sing! What's great is that she wasn't lip singing and her voice was amazing in her a capellas.
Unfortunetly, the industry did get her. And her songs now have become all "yo yo". Weren't the 90's a great decade for music? Alanis Morisette, Radiohead, Nirvana, Mariah Carey, to name a few.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
I don't think that's true. What about Christina Aguilera, or Mariah Carey (even though she's fixated on her image nowadays)? Mariah Carey especially has written amazing ballads, she totally rocked the 90's. She has written many songs capturing feeling and great eloquence (My All anyone?). I saw her in concert, and wow, can she sing! What's great is that she wasn't lip singing and her voice was amazing in her a capellas.
Unfortunetly, the industry did get her. And her songs now have become all "yo yo". Weren't the 90's a great decade for music? Alanis Morisette, Radiohead, Nirvana, Mariah Carey, to name a few.

<3 Mariah btw.

Does it bother people if a singer does pre written material?

I personally don't like a song less if it's written by someone else. Or like it more if it's written by someone.

Shimmer

Quote:
I dunno shimmer... I'm betting her album does terrible. You know, the one where she used all her uber talented song writing skills.

Her first single from the album is horried. Never Again? I hope they never play it on the radio again.

Yeh she can sing, but she should stick to singing, not song writing. Apparently she isn't even selling out her concerts for her tour this year. She didn't even want her huge hit single, "Since you've been gone" on the album. Unless the rest of her new album is gold, I know I wont be buying it. I like nearly every song on her first album, but from what I've hear so far on the new one (and the lack of radio play for any song but that one) i'm not holding my breath.

Oh so sorry, I forgot about what a total bomb "Because of You" was, among her other qualifications.
"Behind These Hazel Eyes" was terrible, despite being number 10 in the year end chart for Billboard in 05.
Really, I don't know what I was thinking, pointing out Clarkson as a success story, what with all that is working against her, and the wholly unproven potential for success she's shown so far. Obviously, her talent and capabilities are inflated...everyone in the music industry skirmishes with Clive Davis and wins.
And, as only one song has been officially released as a single ("Never Again") it's not surprising the rest of the disk hasn't received any airtime.

Latest posts