Vintage Vintagey Cosmetics, etc...

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardprincesa
That site keeps getting better and better! I find it really inspiring! Every time I go back, I discover a new feature. Yesterday, I was looking at the photo gallery from the 20's, & the one from the 30's.....wowowow!
It's awesome!

Isn't it funny how men's fashion never seems to change quite as drastically?

Anyway, thanks again, sweet ms.marymac, for that Treasure - link!
smiles.gif

xxxCherylFaith

You are so welcome! I love reading the beauty articles on there. And as far as old school cosmetics go, I will always be a fan of Ponds Cold Cream. I don't use it everyday, but I always have it on hand.

Have you checked out Besame Cosmetics? You would prolly flip for their stuff!

lizardprincesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
You are so welcome! I love reading the beauty articles on there. And as far as old school cosmetics go, I will always be a fan of Ponds Cold Cream. I don't use it everyday, but I always have it on hand.

Yes, I am thinking of getting Ponds Cold Cream.
smiles.gif
My mom has beautiful skin, & has always sworn by Pond's. I'm fairly sure my grandmother uses it, as well. I hope to have their lovely complexions when I'm their age.

i think Pond's is what we used to remove stage makeup when I was in high school...

Quote:

I've been *dying* to try Besame.
smiles.gif
Guess what! I have a swap package on the way which contains a Besame lipstick! I am soooo excited!!

thanks, ms.marymac
smiles.gif
Hope your Day is Lovely! xxxCherylFaith

lizardprincesa

Last Night, we watched the movie, A Fool There Was,
starring Miss Theda Bara! OMGoddess!
I think The Unchastened Woman will be even more incredible ( & probably easier to follow, with more captions.)
A Fool There Was

mainly included verses from the poem by the same name, by Rudyard Kipling.
Other than these, I have only clips of her in a 20 minute collection,
oddly named 45 Minutes from Hollywood
winks.gif

I saw the opening scenes of The Unchastened Woman, & Theda's hair was insanely beautifully long, her face as pale as new Snow, her lipstick perfectly
20ish, Dark (probably Red Burgundy, or Purpley Red ?) & in a flowing gown...She had just discovered she was pregnant, & swept down the stairs to tell her husband, who was playing around with his "corresponding secretary" a little
husband-stealer whose hair was cut in the perfect bob of the times...
Theda's character's horrified reaction was unrivaled. I have never seen anything like it in any modern movie (& I guess the lack of audible dialogue makes the viewer concentrate more heavily on the acting.)
I cannot wait to watch the rest of The Unchastened Woman.

Theda Bara tired of being typecast in the role of "The Vamp." I am trying to find more time to research Theda, an icon who actually influenced modern performers. I would not be at all surprised to find that someone like Johnny Depp had admired her movies...She also reminds me of Kate Bush, (British/Irish singer, composer,
as well as the Muse who brought me together with my husband...)

I don't know exactly how, but I want to take screen shots of the actual movies so I can look more closely at the makeup & hair. I guess I pause the movie, take my camera, focus, & shoot....(please don't laugh too hard at me...I'm not very techy, & I'm tired- this method is the only which springs to mind right now. If you know of another please advise me? xxx)

Meanwhile, I see YouTube knows Theda. I love this one:

YouTube - Movie Legends - Theda Bara

Hope you enjoy! xxxcherylFaithxxx

lizardprincesa

Quote:
... I will always be a fan of Ponds Cold Cream. I don't use it everyday, but I always have it on hand.

I went to check out Pond's Cold Cream at Target the other Day, & I was upset to discover it contains cetyl alcohol (as most or many skin creams do)....
I wonder if this was always the case?

Quote:

I mentioned I had Besame lipstick coming in a swap, & it did ! A beautiful casing, has this "Enchanted" lippie, & everything about it looks so beautiful! But sadly, I must be the only person in Herstory (or *History*) to say the lipstick doesn't stay on me for very long.
Sooo beautiful, though. I am trying different methods to get it to stay on my kisser.
Any suggestions are welcome!! Thanks
smiles.gif

xxxxCFxxxx

SMMY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardprincesa
I went to check out Pond's Cold Cream at Target the other Day, & I was upset to discover it contains cetyl alcohol (as most or many skin creams do)....
I wonder if this was always the case?

I mentioned I had Besame lipstick coming in a swap, & it did ! A beautiful casing, has this "Enchanted" lippie, & everything about it looks so beautiful! But sadly, I must be the only person in Herstory (or *History*) to say the lipstick doesn't stay on me for very long.
Sooo beautiful, though. I am trying different methods to get it to stay on my kisser.
Any suggestions are welcome!! Thanks
smiles.gif

xxxxCFxxxx

On her web site, she has instructions for getting that perfect matte 40s lipstick look. She suggests applying a thin layer of lipstick, then blotting with tissue. Apply a second layer and again blot. Top off with Translucent powder to set and get that matte look from the forties.

Also Besame is having an amazing sale right now. They are planning on reformulating and repackaging many of their products, so now's the time to try them out. The sale ends tonight at 11:59. I've already placed two orders, but where else can you get such an awesome deal on some really beautifully made cosmetics.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMMY
On her web site, she has instructions for getting that perfect matte 40s lipstick look. She suggests applying a thin layer of lipstick, then blotting with tissue. Apply a second layer and again blot. Top off with Translucent powder to set and get that matte look from the forties.

Also Besame is having an amazing sale right now. They are planning on reformulating and repackaging many of their products, so now's the time to try them out. The sale ends tonight at 11:59. I've already placed two orders, but where else can you get such an awesome deal on some really beautifully made cosmetics.

I keep filling up my cart and I already have makeup coming out of my ears. Honestly, though...those shadows are fantastic. I think I need to step away from the computer....dont. need. any. more. makeup.
shockt.gif

SMMY

Quote:
I keep filling up my cart and I already have makeup coming out of my ears. Honestly, though...those shadows are fantastic. I think I need to step away from the computer....dont. need. any. more. makeup.
shockt.gif

I ordered sooo many lippies from the sale. I'm going to need another set of lips. The retro styling really sucked me in.
yahoo.gif

lizardprincesa

Quote:

Thank You, SMMY! That's fantastic! I never had time to look...Between Life & Cult of Cherry...
winks.gif

I'm truly grateful to you for researching and posting this valuable info here. I didn't see it until bedtime, last Night. I went to sleep imagining all my
Dark Lips looking perfect! xxx

(It was a Dream, but I'll practise Today.
smiles.gif

Quote:

grrrr....
ssad.gif
Actually, it's probably a positive that I was unaware.
smiles.gif

I'll still be checking out their site, as those products would look amazing on my vanity, in the company of... (updated post to follow).

Oooh...I say I don't mind not being wealthy, but....uuummm...

Thank You, SMMY ( also for probably causing my imminent reaction of looking at Besame's site & getting into unaffordable angst.)

Hope your Day is Full of *~*~*Sparklies*~*~*

' xxxxCherylFaithxxxx

lizardprincesa

Oh my! Dark Lips...Red lips...so Sophisticated! uuuummmm

Whether you're using MAC Cult of Cherry products, or other brands,
Besame has some gorgeous looks & suggestions.

Thanks again, SMMY.

"Timeless looks..."
Besame | Looks: 1920s

xxxxCherylFaithxxxx

lizardprincesa

I have been researching 20's films, makeup, etc....almost whenever I have a free moment, lately.
I just found this gem, in case it might be of interest to anybody.
smiles.gif

The sidebar on the homepage will direct you to makeup, fashion, etiquette...
all kinds of fascinating vintagey stuff, if you desire...

revamp vintage clothing swing dancing retro clothing reproduction clothing men's clothing women's clothing vintage etiquette vintage hairstyles vintage weddings swing music swing session dance skirts art deco clothing
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also found out an earlier version of Cleopatra was made. 1912. It is due to air at the MidNight Hour on Sunday, Sept.7 (tomorrow Night.)
Unfortunately, it doesn't star Theda Bara....but I still plan to watch & hope to be able to see the makeup clearly.

I'm awaiting a bunch of Besame...My bank account is stamped "No MAC buys allowed" for a long time.....that Besame sale! (ends tomorrow)

Red Lips! Red Lips! Red Lips!
bigheart.gif

(She still has pinks, browns & other hues, as well.)

xxxxCherylFaithxxxx

Besame | Products

lizardprincesa

Quote:
I ordered sooo many lippies from the sale. I'm going to need another set of lips. The retro styling really sucked me in.
yahoo.gif

You do know the sorry State of my Bank Account is your fault, don't you??
winks.gif
That Besame sale!!

Oh, well, I could use to lose about 10 lbs. or so...
winks.gif

hmmm...we never know how we will effect somebody else's Life, do we?

Thanks again!
smiles.gif

xxxxCherylFaithxxxx

colormeClare

I LOVE Besame Cosmetics. Gabriela Hernandez ( CEO and founder) was inspired by her Grandmother's glamourous cosmetics and decided to launch her own company, inspired from vintage and retro cosmetics.

She actually incorporates recipes of vintage makeup and all of her cosmetics come in beautiful detailed cases. Her website also has tips on how to do period looks ( like 20's, 40's, etc.)

BTW- Does anyone where I can find like vintage compacts and mirrors. Or any other vintage makeup ?

ALSO- someone mentioned the Hollywood History Museum. I agree,- the museum is like heaven for us makeup addicts

lizardprincesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by colormeClare
I LOVE Besame Cosmetics.

Oooh! So do I !!!
smiles.gif
bigheart.gif
bigheart.gif

Quote:
Gabriela Hernandez ( CEO and founder) was inspired by her Grandmother's glamourous cosmetics and decided to launch her own company, inspired from vintage and retro cosmetics.

She actually incorporates recipes of vintage makeup and all of her cosmetics come in beautiful detailed cases. Her website also has tips on how to do period looks ( like 20's, 40's, etc.)

Yes! Thanks for sharing the info.
smiles.gif

I have grown to LOVE her website (but I can't allow me to look at it right now, due to lack of funds.
ssad.gif
The bank account problem has something to do with that beautiful website.
winks.gif

I wonder what Gabriela's new line will be like.
I hope it doesn't change much. Do you have any info for us?

Quote:
BTW- Does anyone where I can find like vintage compacts and mirrors. Or any other vintage makeup ?

Estate sales can be *amazing*. Even garage/yard sales sometimes hold
True Treasures,
(altho here, not at this time of year....I don't know where you are...)

Antique shops....but they will be pricey.

eBay is a source. Much of my small (but precious) vintage cosmetic item collection comes from there. But if you put in a Google search for Vintage Makeup, you will absolutely get a bunch of other leads. Let's see...
You will always see a ton of people selling vintage cosmetic *ads*. Seems to be the most easily obtainable item.
I also have a few old magazines...a couple from the 1920's.... :swoon:
I will take a new photo of my vanity soon. It's the only place I have which is completely *me,* & it's got Vintage items from various eras now,
but my focus is generally 20's and mid-60's to mid 70's...

Which era(s) is your favorite?

You may find some interesting links in this search below,
a general search for "vintage cosmetics".
I'm drooling with the desire to peek at a few of the sites, but scared...cannot afford anything right now.
ssad.gif

You have probably already tried this, but here's a link to links, just in case:
(If you try different word arrangements, who knows what you may find!
smiles.gif

vintage cosmetics - Google Search

Quote:
ALSO- someone mentioned the Hollywood History Museum. I agree,- the museum is like heaven for us makeup addicts

TamEva LaFey...what a wonderful person! He mentioned a Max Factor museum, as well...or maybe the Max Factor museum is part of the Hollywood History Museum. I'm sleepy. I have to check....Wow....
I would sooo love to visit these places.
Thank you again, sweetHeart TamEva!

The Fedora Lounge is an interesting corner of the Net.
One of its forums focuses completely on Beauty!

I hope you discover Treasures and ENJOY!
smiles.gif

Please share your discoveries with us.
smiles.gif

xxxxCherylFaithxxxx