Weekend away - Make up - how do you pick yours?

Jot

Hi guys,
Not sure if this is the best place for this thread but anyway.

I'm away for the weekend
yahoo.gif
and thinking about what clothes I need and then about what make up! Such hard decisions. I was wondering how everyone goes about picking what to take when they go away? There are your basic staples (foundation,powder,mascara etc) which are fine and obvious but how do you choose your lip colours/eye colours/cheek colour
Do you just grab your favourites or work out what to wear with each outfit etc etc.
Maybe I have too much time on my hand to think about these things and should just grab and run on friday
smiles.gif

Thanks in advance
x

CantAffordMAC

Well first off, I always find myself wearing black lol. So I guess its not hard for me to choose colors. If I go away for a weekend, I usually always take like, a black shirt, jeans, and then say a sweater for the next day.

I always do smoky eyes. So I end up wearing the black/white combination for probably the whole weekend.

If I were you, I'd take a few eyeshadows you can work with (black, a highlighting shade, maybe a dark brown and like a dark green) and a few different choices for lips (maybe a light pink, a nude color, and a brown)

That way you'll have different choices that you can work with and you won't feel as though you didn't bring enough. I always bring my whole makeup bag and then end up wearing foundation, eyeliner and lip gloss.
lol.gif

knoxydoll

If it's just for a few days I bring my foundation, my primers (eyes and skin), my moisturizer, a few samples of pigments (I have the stackable jars filled with each one of my pigments in colours groups and one for what I call my overnighter [It's Sweet Sienna, Vanilla, Dark Soul, and Viz-a-Violet]), mixing medium, sealant, my blusher pallet or two blushes, one MSF, mascara, black liner, and a coloured liner, sketch e/s, and one fun colour e/s, and a couple neutral lips. That and my brushes.

RaynelleM

Darn! I just read your post and remembered I'm going to have to do the same thing this thur night too cuz I'm going to visit my parents for the w/end!!
Well, I like to plan my outfits first (esp. if I will be going out a lot) and then I pick my mu colours/looks to go w/ each one. Of course, I usually end up taking way too much stuff but hey I rather have it w/ me than not!! Sometimes, I'll try to pick clothes in the same/similar colour family (eg. blues & teals) though so that way I can wear the same mu colours w/ everything and not lug so much stuff w/ me.
I have the Classic Mid MAC and that actually fits a good amount of mu, so I’ll usually take a few es quads (I have them sorted by colour), maybe 3 or 4 lipsticks & matching glosses, primers, a couple of eyeliners (usually black & brown), foundation & concealer, msf, mascara and a couple of blushes. Oh and ofcourse my brushes in a separate case.
But, I will admit for x'mas when I went to my parents' for the whole week, I bought the Carry All and ended up taking ALL my makeup!! I had too many outfits and trying to figure out what mu to take for each one was giving me a headache!!
lol.gif

Jot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaynelleM
But, I will admit for x'mas when I went to my parents' for the whole week, I bought the Carry All and ended up taking ALL my makeup!! I had too many outfits and trying to figure out what mu to take for each one was giving me a headache!!
lol.gif

You sound like me, for xmas i just packed the whole lot when i went to the inlaws for a week - seemed quicker than sorting stuff out.

thanks guys for the tips
smiles.gif

MACATTAK

I take makeup based on what I am taking to wear. I usually only wear black as someone mentioned earlier, so any color goes with that. I love pigments, so I usually take sample jars of my pigments, and my face/lip stuff, and of course pack it very securely
smiles.gif

Jennifer Mcfly

i never match my makeup to my clothes...so i usually take my essentials for my face...and for the eyes i'll take a few neutrals, a few bright colors, and a smokey black and I'm set for any number of combo's I can imagine!!

mollythedolly

I'd bring 2 or 3 self-made quads which would include:

(Neutrals)
Brow color
Highlight
Black
Medium brown

(Brights)
Blue
Silver
Pink
Green

a bright and a neutral lipstick (with lipliners if you use them), my favorite no-shimmer blush and favorite no-shimmer bronzer, black and white eyeliners, and then my necessary makeup (foundation, concealer, mascara).

Brushes? It's easy. I take a foundation, blush, bronzer, angle (for brows), small eyeshadow, large eyeshadow and smudge.

purrtykitty

I don't match my makeup to my clothes - I coordinate. I always pack a pale and mid-tone neutral and then I pick eyeshadows that would look fun with the clothes I packed...I also pack a basic brown liner. For blush, I pack a nice pink with light or no shimmer. For lips, I pack a neutral pink and two or three glosses...a pale one and a neutral one, and maybe a bright one if I'm in the mood (plus whatever is in my purse usually gets dragged along, so I end up with way more lipglosses than there are days of vacation).

chocolategoddes

I guess it depends on what you'll be doing and how you want to look. I wouldn't take too much in case it gets lost and a lot of the time I actually wear less makeup when I'm away because I'm busy with meeting family and friends. If I were you I'd take some
skincare
foundation/ concealer
1 blush
2 lip thingies (lipstick and lipgloss)
5 eyeshadows ( mostly neutrals so they go with everything)
mascara
eyebrow filler stuff

I made the mistake of taking my whole collection to Africa during Xmas and I didn't wear any of it!

iamlelilien

The easiest way is to plan your clothes first, then think about what kind of makeup you like to wear with the clothes you're bringing!

liv

I never match either, but I'd think about what you plan on doing on the weekend. Lately I've just been going to relative's houses and just hanging out, and only going casual places like the mall, food places, maybe a movie. So I usually pare down my makeup bag to my regular face makeup, my stila 8 pan palette with neutrals, stila 4 pan palette with fun colors, MAC smile blush, MAC satin taupe, mascara, a couple brushes, and fix +.

ETA: I usually have several lipstick/glosses rolling around in my purse, but I do like to specifically bring Faux and VGV lipglass. Those are so flattering for me and don't require a certain eye/cheek look to work.

NatalieMT

I take a couple of brushes and quads with me, one with a black/brown, then a highlight and another neutral shade and one with some brighter colours based on the outfits I'm taking away with me. Then brown/black eyeliner pencils and mascaras. I usually just take a peachy blush and a pinky one too, a neutral pink lipstick and either a coral/red and just a lipglass with very little colour to go over the top. And that's it - I try to travel as light as possible most of the time.

User49

Essentials : Foundation, Concealor, Powder, Blusher/Bronzer, Mascara, Lipgloss, Black Eye Liner, Brown Eyeliner.

Fun Stuff: A bright Liquidlast Liner (like Aqualine), a bright Pigment (like Teal or Old Gold), some glitter liner, a bright lipstick...

I end up taking quite a lot with me in the end, but then if someone asks I can do there make up as well! Whenever I visit my moms she likes to have a rumage through the old make up bag.
smiles.gif

smellyocheese

it depends on what I'll be doing during the weekend. personally I'd be a little more outdoorsy so these would be my staples:

- Tinted moisturizer with spf
- Lip and cheek stain
- waterproof liner pencil
- Waterproof mascara
- lip gloss

I leave the gloss and liner for night. stains are the most ideal if you're gonna be at the beach even.

ritchieramone

I'm always hopelessly indecisive about packing make-up for trips. I try to narrow it down to a few items, but usually end up throwing lots more in at athe last minute, as if a disaster would occur if I only had 5 eyeshadows to choose from ...

I use Pink Opal most days, so it's the first thing I pack. After that though, I'm stuck. I don't really have any looks that I consistently repeat, not that I'm an endless fount of creativity but rather that I'm never happy enough with any look to think it's worth another go. However, I consider which clothes I'm packing (a long-winded dilemma in itself) and think about that and which glasses I'll wear. I also have to take into account that my eyes sometime water uncontrollably and some products and colours are more affected and likely to end up looking horrid than others.

This usually means that I end up with some greens and pinks (usually Springtime Skipper, Humid, Playful and Reflects Red) to wear with Greenplay liquidlast and/or oranges and pinks (Firespot, Playful, Sushi Flower, Kryolan Frambosia) to wear with Fuchsia-ism.

BEA2LS

i know this thread is mad old i really enjoyed reading it.. i was thinking of my upcoming vacation - it is for a week and i am driving about 4 hours to get there..
and this is what i'm going to bring.. i have no idea what exact shades i am bringing.. i'm actually thinking my hello kitty quad because it seems to have everything i wanted in eyeshadows:

EYES
highlighter
primer (probably a paint)
a fun bright eyeshadow
a darker eyeshadow (something to smoke out a look, it does not have to be my carbon)
eyeliner - black, brown, probably both
eyebrow stuff
mascara

LIPS
a bright lipgloss
a darker lipstick

FACE
foundation, concealor
blush
mayber bronzer

BRUSHES - just basic i do not own any MAC brushes (how i wish..) so probably just ones for blush, foundation and three eyeshadow ones

any thoughts/suggestions?

Latest posts