What bank do you use and why?

Suzyn

Hey all!
wavey.gif

I need to open another bank account... Long story short, I had a Bank of America account for several years and they SCREWED me over, in more ways then one. So it's time to find another bank to use. Im undecided as to whether I should go with one of the small privately owned banks in town (they have all the same features such as ATMs, debit cards, online banking, etc...) or go with another one of the "chain" banks around.

So my question for you is what bank do you use and why? Why do you like it, or why do you dislike it? All help would be greatly appreciated!
yahoo.gif

HeavenLeiBlu

Wachovia for checking and my Way2Save account, and ING For my other savings account.

Why? Because BofA sucks gorilla balls and I had nothing but problems with them. I have a had a couple issues with Wachovia here and there over the years (when I joined, it was First Union) but most of the time, things have been resolved to my satisfaction. Also, they went out of the way once, in conjunction with a good Samaritan, when I lost my wallet. Instead of me having to cancel everything and get new cards and a new license, they helped me get my wallet back, with everything, (including my cash, which I ended up giving to the guy who found it) intact. That feat made me decide to stay with them.
choochoo.gif

I like ING because they have great interest rates, and since they're internet based, I have to really think about withdrawing my money. It usually takes a business day or two to get your hands on the money if you don't use an ING ATM card, so that serves as a cooling off period for me.
choochoo.gif

COBI

I am VP/Controller at a community bank so that's where I bank.

Research shows that top factors for people choosing their bank are service and convenience; these are more important to people (in general) than fees and rates (assuming that they are not out of the normal range for fees and rates). So, your desire to change is not unusual.

I would talk to someone at each bank that you are interested in possibly opening an account at and then making a decision based on the vibe you get because you are right: in this day and age, we all offer essentially the same products; customer service sets banks apart.

I am not a fan of the big box banks, and it is because of previous personal interactions and experience (versus because of my job.)

M.A.C. head.

Bank of America is STILL screwing both me and my husband over, but he just switched his account to the bank he works for.

I'm switching this week.

Bank of America SUCKS and I hate it. I've NEVER heard a positive word about that bank, seriously.

Beauty Mark

I've actually never had a single problem with Bank of America/Fleet (started with Fleet), and I have had an account with them for 6 years. I liked that I could withdraw money out of certain ATMs while abroad with being slammed with a penalty.

My friend banks with ING because of the interest thing. When picking out a bank, if you travel a lot to different parts of the US, you may want to pick out something that's located everywhere or has deals where you don't get surcharges for other ATMs. I hate paying fees.

Divinity

Werd about ING savings! They have the best rates! Unfortunately, I bank at Chase because they are everywhere in the city, but I'm not a fan.

f!erce

I bank with PNC and I LOVE it! I HATE HATE HATE B.O.A., *joining the screwed over bandwagon* Now my BF banks with them and he says he doesnt know why people hate them so much, guess it depends on what you use them for. The major selling point for me with PNC is the extended hours and the no fee for ATM usage. I can use any ATM anywhere no matter the fee and after about 2 days, the ATM surcharge fee that I was charged is refunded back into my account. I had a problem one time, I forget the exact circumstances right now but I called and there was no issue, money was put back in my account immediately with no hassle. Good luck in your search!

goldspice

I've worked with two major banks here in new york... And i can honestly say tht even though i no longer work with HSBC..there a very customer service oriented bank and i've often suggested this as a choice bank for freinds and family alike. Not only do they surpass in superior customer service but they have branch's in every major city around the world. There online savings also pays a above average interest rate as well. As far as Chase Bank is concerned..there only goal is to deal with wealthy clients and to get them to invest there money as well as take out unneeded loans.

rbella

WAMU!!!
punk_.gif
Love 'em. All accounts with them, except for one business account we have with Wells Fargo.

CantAffordMAC

I bank at Commerce. It is the most convenient because they are everywhere. there has been times where they messed up the amount of money I deposited or deposited my money into the wrong account. But they are still convenient, and I just like banking with them. Plus there are absolutely no ATM fees anymore.

I have a savings account at ING. They have some hiiigh interest
smiles.gif
(I dunno if I worded that right, but its a good thing...more money for me)

Paramnesia

I'm with st george, I have a student savings account and a power savers account. Though I'm looking at going to ANZ for a debit card, they have 1/2 price fees for students

benzito_714

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
I bank at Commerce. It is the most convenient because they are everywhere. there has been times where they messed up the amount of money I deposited or deposited my money into the wrong account. But they are still convenient, and I just like banking with them. Plus there are absolutely no ATM fees anymore.

I have a savings account at ING. They have some hiiigh interest
smiles.gif
(I dunno if I worded that right, but its a good thing...more money for me)

i used to work for commerce at the hq in south jersey-they are a really good bank.

TDoll

I love Wachovia. I've banked there for about 7 years. The online statements are super organized, easy to understand, and contains a lot of handy options like instant transfers and other stuff. The people are really nice too...not just at the branch closest to my home, but everywhere I've been. No matter where you go, like if you travel a lot, you'll always find a Wachovia on the corner.
It's awesome too because they'll automatically recognize problems and fix them right away without you having to go around and around with them. Last year, I used my check card at the nail salon...I had a bill of about $65 there... Well, the reciept paper was out, so since no receipt was coming out, the girl who does my nails thought that the transaction wasn't going through. Well she ran it about 10 times....which caused an overdraft into my savings and the overdraft fee. When I got home, I looked online and saw I had been charged 10 times and was dreading my trip to the bank the next morning to explain and fix the situation. When I woke up, I logged in to Wachovia.com to print my statement to take to the bank so I could have a copy with me and it had automatically been fixed by the bank! The money was back in my savings and they gave me my od fee back too. I was pretty impressed.
I was also recently married and adding my husband to my account was super easy and smooth.

We also have an account at a Georgia Credit Union which we love, but I'm pretty sure they don't have those in TX...lol.

HTH!

*Stargazer*

If you can join a Credit Union, do so. They are the best way to bank, hands down. If you're eligible to join Navy Federal or Pentagon Fed, I highly recommend those. If you're eligible to join USAA (eligibility is strict), then they are great as well.

If you aren't eligible for any of those, a good local CU is your best bet!

Janice

I bank with Chase because they hold my mortgage and a CC, thus I am able to get their top level checking account for free. The relationship with them has been positive, and when I recently purchased a new (to me) car they extended great terms since I have a relationship with them.

I also have an ING savings and a Wachovia account I do not use (FOR A REASON!).

I would love to bank with a credit union, with Chase servicing so much of my personal finances it's just convenient to stay with them.

kblakes

Go with a small bank or credit union. They are way better to deal with. The big banks are all about the amount of money you have and sales.

AppleDiva

I think big banks are better, especially if there is a theft in account. I know people who used smaller banks and had to wait to get their money bank. The larger bank restored the funds to the account immediately. Overall, I have had positive experiences with Bank of America (Fleet/BankBoston). The fees are ok and have become quite reasonable over the past few years.

Now, I will say that Credit Unions have more favorable loan rates. My husband have always purchased cars with CU loans and we have been pleased with the relationship and service. Credit Unions tend to be fee happy, so you have to get the information upfront.