What bank do you use and why?

KikiB

I bank at Wamu-partially because when I was in elementary school, they actually had the School Savings program where you could set up a bank account of sorts-a real one-and I just kept it until I was able to set up checking and get it changed to a real savings, with no problems at all. Both of my parents have banked there for years and there are several branches fairly close to me-plus the whole atmosphere just feels a lot warmer and friendlier. BoA, it's the bank that our company uses. A lot of people like it but it just seems so cold and not to mention they've screwed over several people I know. My mom has an account there but never uses it.

coachkitten

I use a local credit union BECU in Washington State. Credit Unions in my opinion are the way to go because they are not for profit and they give their profits back to their members. Just my two cents!
smiles.gif

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDiva
I think big banks are better, especially if there is a theft in account. I know people who used smaller banks and had to wait to get their money bank. The larger bank restored the funds to the account immediately. Overall, I have had positive experiences with Bank of America (Fleet/BankBoston). The fees are ok and have become quite reasonable over the past few years.

Now, I will say that Credit Unions have more favorable loan rates. My husband have always purchased cars with CU loans and we have been pleased with the relationship and service. Credit Unions tend to be fee happy, so you have to get the information upfront.

This is *totally* dependent on the bank. We give immediate provisional credit (simply means if it turns out to not be a fraudulent transaction, we reserve the right to reverse the credit.) I work for an $850 million bank which is considered small in the banking industry. $1-$2 billion is where you start to be considered "medium" sized.

Also, as an example, in the northeast, there was recently a major card compromise at a regional supermarket. More than 4 million card numbers were compromised due to a security breach in the supermarkets system. We (the bank I work at) reissued over 6,000 cards at our own expense (over $35,000) to minimize customer risk, bank risk and increase customer confidence. The same day we received the compromised card file issued by our bank, letters were generated to affected customers informing them of the compromise and our intentions to automatically reissue them a new card. New cards were generated as quickly as possible through our 3rd party source. Customers who hadn't activated their new cards within a certain window of time were contacted individually to follow up.

I know many people that their bank never even notified them that their card was part of the compromised batches. Many of the larger banks took a "wait and see" approach to possible fraud and identitiy theft (which has been tied back to this compromise) versus taking steps to be pro-active.

I also know of other "large" banks in the region that would reissue your compromised if you called and asked and were willing to pay to have it reissued.

Many of the ID theft and security offered by banks are fee-based coverage.
But again it can be very different from bank to bank, and a sweeping generalization can not be made about small vs. large vs. credit unions (which do not have to pay income tax BTW). You need to find a bank whose service and products fit your needs.

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzito_714
i used to work for commerce at the hq in south jersey-they are a really good bank.

heyyyy I know where that is!
winks.gif

newagetomatoz

I use Citizens Bank for checking and savings. When I started working serious at 17 over the summer, I had like $600 in cash and checks sitting in my room, so we had to get me a bank account and at Citizen's, I can be the sole name on the account which is very nice for me with my insane MAC spending habits. Also, there are two atms/banks within a ten minute walk from my house and I'm pretty sure they have a minimum balance requirement of like $1 in each.

happy.life

I use WaMu, mainly because my mom goes there o_o but the people that work there are super nice and explain and talk to you about anything you want/need to know about.