What brushes do you Recommend?

veilchen

Hello everyone, I once more need you invaluable advice!

I've already got a nice little brush collection, but now I'm itching to get some more (as is always the case with MAC items ...). So here's what I already have:

211 - quite nice for the rare lining I do so I don't think I'll get another lining brush (or do you think I should?)
217 - satisfied with it for blending, but I'm thinking of getting the 224 ... do you think it's too similar or can I justify getting one (by whatever argument ... let me know!)
242 - my favourite, because I like the style so much I think of getting the 249 or the 252 as well ... what are your thoughts on these two?
219 - love it
239 - love it
168 - satisfied
263 - satisfied
194 - satisfied
129 - satisfied

what I thought of getting as well: the 187 stippling brush - I heard a lot of good things about this one, so is it worth the price? I already paid a lot for the 168 and I like it, but I don't love it that much ...
and the foundation brush 190 ... do you think one could use this one for applying blushcremes as well? It doesn't get really even when I apply only with my fingers.

Please let me know what you think! TIA!!

user2

Why dont you wait for the brush sets?
The pin stripe one carries the 190, the 212 and the 252! They're quite a great deal because even the 190 alone is sold for around 40 Euro in Germany! And the whole set wll be around 50-55 Euro!
And I'm sure you can get rid of the 194 and 168 on ebay
winks.gif

veilchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VuittonVictim
Why dont you wait for the brush sets?
The pin stripe one carries the 190, the 212 and the 252! They're quite a great deal because even the 190 alone is sold for around 40 Euro in Germany! And the whole set wll be around 50-55 Euro!
And I'm sure you can get rid of the 194 and 168 on ebay
winks.gif

Thanks for the info!! Sounds really good!

And sorry for posting in the wrong thread ;-)

Onederland

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilchen

Thanks for the info!! Sounds really good!

And sorry for posting in the wrong thread ;-)

No worries.
smiles.gif

helloitsjeanna

the brush sets are great values but don't last as long as the individual brushes you buy..

i was told by a MAC MA that most all the brushes that you buy individually are at a high price because they're hand made with virgin hair of animals and they last longer. She also told me that the brush sets are all machine made, hence the cheaper price. I have mac's brush set when they came out with the short handles with green or whatever.. they work the same and great, i just find myself having to pick the hairs loose from the brushes and especially when you wash and clean te brushes.

but as for a recommendation for a new brush, i'd say go for the 224.. it's great and i couldn't live without it.. 190 is also great for foundation and i've also found it great for the new bronzing and paint sticks that are out and they're great for creme blushes.

mspixieears

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg
Any tips on what the 187 actually does? *is somewhat embarrased at not knowing*

Ah, the infamous skunk brush - it's supposed to be good for applying pigmented blushes, or powder onto face, very lightly and flawlessly. So basically, good for powder products when you want light application of whatever it is you're using.

At least, this is what I gather from asking similar questions to other well-informed gals, anyone please feel free to correct/add to this if appropriate.

veilchen

Thanks a lot for all your thoughts, mspixieears!! I think I'll get the 224, 190 and the 187 - and then a brush set as a back up (for travelling etc).

I also heard that the skunk brush is supposed to be good for really "working" shimmer into the skin - that's what an MA once said to me when she suggested I'd buy it ... Now I think I will ;-)

jeanna

You need the 224 - it's the ultimate blending brush! Also, I'm surprised you don't have the 266 angled brush, as this is usually a staple in any brush collection
smiles.gif

As far as foundation brushes go, I'm happy with the 190 but lately I've been using the 180 buffer brush for liquid foundations because it seems to go on so effortlessly without much blending necessary. That's just me though, maybe others can comment if they also like the 180 for liquid foundations. However, I'm LOVING the way the 190 works with applying Studio Fix, Sheer Loose Powder and Powder Blushes* - it goes on really sheer/transparent and so natural.

Good luck with your brush shopping
winks.gif

* Especially with the shimmery blush duos (ie. Pinkerpeach/Trustfund) - you can use so little without sacrificing any of the shimmer... love the 190 for these blushes!

sassy*girl

Brushes - some help in deciding, please...

Hey everyone! Wow, I haven't been here for a long time. Hi to the new members as well!

Anyway, I'm currently debating on whether or not I should get myself a Pinstripe & Checkered Tailormade Brush Set. I have the one from 2003 That came with:

129 SE - Powder/Blush Brush
213 SE - Fluff Brush
224 SE - Tapered Blending Brush
242 SE - Shader Brush
266 SE - Small Angle Brush
316 SE - Lip Brush

And I also have a regular-sized 190 brush, and a travel-sized 190 brush (that I got when I bought foundation and wipes once. i think it was a special package or something)

Okay, so if I get those two tailormade brush sets, that means I'll have doubles of the 129, 190 (one big, two travel), 266 and 316 (I barely use the last two). Now I was wondering if I should just skip the brush sets and just get the regular-sized ones, since I've heard that the regular ones are usually a bit better in terms of the quality of the brush hairs and stuff. If I do get the brush sets though, I'll get 6/10 new brushes. Are any of the 194, 252, 212, 219, 239 must-haves?

Oh, and what are your brush must-haves anyway?

Hmm, well hopefully you guys can help me out and give me your opinion on which route I should take. Haha. Thanks a bunch!

PrettyKitty

Woahhhh I've seen your screen name and I was like 'DUH! I can't go without saying hello to this sweetie'.

Here are my must-have:

#219 (You need it!)

I'll buy the Pinstripe brush kit, even if I already have a big #190 brush, but it's a 'sample' brush.

You are better to buy Pinstripe if you want a brush kit, and buy #219 alone.
greengrin.gif

sassy*girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyKitty
Woahhhh I've seen your screen name and I was like 'DUH! I can't go without saying hello to this sweetie'.

Here are my must-have:

#219 (You need it!)

I'll buy the Pinstripe brush kit, even if I already have a big #190 brush, but it's a 'sample' brush.

You are better to buy Pinstripe if you want a brush kit, and buy #219 alone.
greengrin.gif

aw, yay! you remember me! haha, that's so sweet. thanks for saying hello and helping! i've missed everyone's posts
smiles.gif
i've been on summer break for a while now, so i decided to come back and chat with all of the lovely specktra members again
greengrin.gif

yeah! the thing that i liked about the other brush kit was the 219! you read my mind
winks.gif
lol. i'll keep those in mind next time i go to MAC. whiiich might be today. hahaha. merci beaucoup
thmbup.gif

Juneplum

sassy*girl! where have u been young lady!!!! nice to see u back! i'll be getting the pinstripe set too, and ita with what pertty kitty said! get the other brush as a separate purchase
greengrin.gif

Anala

what are the must-have brushes?

I'm looking to add some new brushes to my collection (good ones this time) and need to know what do you feel are the must-haves from MAC? I figure, since I don't plan on getting anything from RebelRock that I'd treat myself to a new make-up bag and a brush or two. Thanks for your input.

perpetuallycute

For foundation - I have to have the 180 buffer brush. For some reason, I just hate regular foundation brushes. I can't ever get it to look right. With the buffer brush, I can always make my face look great!
for eyes - I think everyone needs:

and the 212 for lining!

meaf

Mac Brushes

Hi everyone! i am intending to buy a couple of brushes. i need one for blending and one other must-have brush. now i have the 242 brush i use it on the lid. is it the right one to use on the lid, i got it cuz the makeup artist was telling that the 242 is versatile as i can also use it for concealer and bases. its my first eye brush. i was looking at the 129 brush for power. thanks for the suggestions!