What Is Your Acne Treatment Line/regimen?

ashk36

I tried the ACV, but I don't think I used it for long enough to see results. It was a pain in the butt to have to stink like vinegar for 20 minutes every night. I would have to stand in front of a fan to let it dry. My boyfriend surprisingly liked the smell, "Baby you smell like a pickle!! Mmmm!!" He's weird. I'm thinking about chemical peels, but dammit they're expensive and I don't have insurance to go to a dermatologist. I had a lactic peel once and I guess it was just too weak for me because I saw no difference. Maybe if I'd had more than one, but again, EXPENSIVE!!

Junkie

My post might be long, I'm sorry! So many skin issues
ssad.gif

I've tried pretty much everything in the darn drugstore!

What I use now:

-Huggies Green Tea & Cucumber Baby Wipes to take off the make-up
-GOSH Lift Off The Day Eye Make-up Remover
-Ponds Refreshing Cold Cream (heavy make-up only aka creative stuff)

Shower:

-Neutrogena Grapefruit Face Wash with Salicylic Acid (banishes the greasies)
-Panoxyl Cream Face Wash with Benzoyl Peroxide 5%

Spot Treatment:

-12.5% BP cream (yes, I know its high, but it works despite the flakiness)

And for gruesome breakouts:

-Mixture of cotton soaked in Tea Tree Oil & 70% Isopropyl Alcohol used as a toner

~~~~

It may seen excessive, but I've had acne since I was 11 and I'm 23 now. I tried Pro-activ - it worked for the first 3 months and then came back with a vengeance once I stopped using it. I also tried going on oral contraceptives - didn't do a damn thing - same with the shot, Depo provera.

I finally took Accutane - which is a really strong acne medication with severe side effects on a list as long as my arm! It worked - my face was completely clear within a month. Before this, I had never really gone more than a week with atleast a minimum of 5-10 active pimples, pustules, cysts, or blackheads on my face. Its gross, but its true.

I stopped taking the meds after 3 months - too many side effects! That was back in Feb '08 - I STILL have this crazy ass tan line from Aug'08 that refuses to fade. Thats how screwy this stuff is to your body.

I started oral contraceptives again and then went off after maybe a year. This caused ovarian cysts...they totally eff up your hormones and make you break out like crazy....so I've been dealing with that since Sept of this year. My face isn't clear, but I'm taking a tetracycline - which is an antibiotic for the infections in my face (aka, zits). Its working, but its expensive. A pill is a bit over a buck a day and it works as long as I keep taking it indefinately....which is bad since its an antibiotic and you can develop a tolerance to it. Ugh.

Sorry...that was long....but my skin FAILS AT LIFE.

Machinegun_Cali

Neutrogena Skin Id stuff works great for me. I used Proactiv for about 3 years with so so results. Since I was about 10 or 11 Ive tried every damn OTC drugstore acne regimen with so so to crappy results.

So pretty much now I stick to skin ID with L'oreal's pink skin genesis soap sometimes ( it comes in a pump which is grrrreat for in the shower). I exfoliate with olay 2 step micro dermabrasion thingy. I also use Biore pore strips. Best thing I can say that has worked for me though that I havent seen other gals post is ......exercise !!! When I exercise regularly ( jogging, swimming, breaking a good sweat and getting my heart pumping) it makes my skin look fab. Obviously wash off real well in the shower after wards but exercise does wonders for me ! It helps me sleep, helps my skin, and helps keep me in shape !

k.a.t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashk36
I tried the ACV, but I don't think I used it for long enough to see results. It was a pain in the butt to have to stink like vinegar for 20 minutes every night. I would have to stand in front of a fan to let it dry. My boyfriend surprisingly liked the smell, "Baby you smell like a pickle!! Mmmm!!" He's weird. I'm thinking about chemical peels, but dammit they're expensive and I don't have insurance to go to a dermatologist. I had a lactic peel once and I guess it was just too weak for me because I saw no difference. Maybe if I'd had more than one, but again, EXPENSIVE!!

LOL yeah, the stink really is unfortunate..not to mention it makes my eyes sting (I use it full strength). hmm did you leave it on overnight, or just the 20 minutes?

I know all that other stuff is expensive
ssad.gif
and you can't even be sure if you'll get good results..

ps your bf is weird, that stuff STINKS!
lol.gif

k.a.t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinegun_Cali
Neutrogena Skin Id stuff works great for me. I used Proactiv for about 3 years with so so results. Since I was about 10 or 11 Ive tried every damn OTC drugstore acne regimen with so so to crappy results.

So pretty much now I stick to skin ID with L'oreal's pink skin genesis soap sometimes ( it comes in a pump which is grrrreat for in the shower). I exfoliate with olay 2 step micro dermabrasion thingy. I also use Biore pore strips. Best thing I can say that has worked for me though that I havent seen other gals post is ......exercise !!! When I exercise regularly ( jogging, swimming, breaking a good sweat and getting my heart pumping) it makes my skin look fab. Obviously wash off real well in the shower after wards but exercise does wonders for me ! It helps me sleep, helps my skin, and helps keep me in shape !

I'm too lazy to exercise!
ssad.gif

I always start off really enthusiastic but I just can't take the pain and tiredness and before you know it I've stopped completely lol...no self will
ssad.gif

ashk36

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.a.t
LOL yeah, the stink really is unfortunate..not to mention it makes my eyes sting (I use it full strength). hmm did you leave it on overnight, or just the 20 minutes?

I know all that other stuff is expensive
ssad.gif
and you can't even be sure if you'll get good results..

I did leave it on overnight. I would stand in front of a fan til it dried. I used it diluted, and I used it full strength as well. Maybe I'd have seen a difference if I'd stuck with it...no telling. Maybe I'll try it again.

Quote:
ps your bf is weird, that stuff STINKS!
lol.gif

You have NO idea.
th_wallbash.gif

pink_lily82

Here's my current regimen and I must say that it's been working pretty well so far.

AM:
- Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Oil-Free Power-Cream Wash

PM:
- Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil to take off my makeup
- Clean and Clear Deep Action Cream Cleanser to clean my face

Misc:
- Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque once a week.
- Clean and Clear Advantage Spot treatment on blemishes before I go to bed.
- Biore pore strips for blackheads on my nose
- Either St. Ive's Apricot Scrub or MAC Microfine Refinisher Exfoliante to exfoliate once or twice a week.

Ever since I started using the cleansing oil AND my facewash, I've noticed a difference in how clean my face felt afterwards. Since I work pretty long hours (usually 10-12 hour shifts), I work hard to make sure my makeup stays in place. And that can wreak havoc if I don't clean my face properly. I used to have milia (hard white bumps) around my eye and upper cheek area and they have pretty much gone away. My acne is hormone-related so I still get blemishes but they're disappearing a lot quicker on my new regimen. Again, I think it's because of the 2-step cleaning process. The first (using the cleansing oil) is to remove my makeup, the second (using my regular face wash) helps to get rid of excess residue/dirt/oil.

Mandy4610

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttleravyn
After trying every acne/blemish product under the sun, I actually switched to a regimen that I read (I think) Nina Garcia has used. Very very simple, and with minimum chemicals.

Cetaphil face wash
Witch hazel toner
Olay Active Hydrating Cream

My skin isn't perfect yet, but after using it only a few days, my skin looks 10x better and I haven't gotten any blemishes since switching.

I am currently using cetaphil soap and witch hazel also. to moisturize I am using either shea butter or Clinique dramatically different. I think I will whip my shea with olive oil and continue to use that for the winter (only at night) and I will use Clinique in the warmer months.
For a mask I am using Queen helene mint julep a couple of time a week
For exfoliating I am using St Ives blackhead clearing scrub.
My skin seems happier for now, i guess we will see as time goes on.
I still have black spots but I am using sunscreen now to see if that helps then not get darker, I am looking for a sunscreen that can be worn under foundation (clinique has one that I want to try and I also bought MAC P+P SPF 50).
I have also tried African black soap but it dries my face out. Maybe I will try it again in the summer time.