What to expect from a MAC makeover?

Hi everyone I just went for my first make over the other day and I was not knowing what to expect (other than on here).
I booked my appointment time and paid the fee
(which you buy the products with after)!. I've been to the counter a few times especially at christmas, so it was not so busy. There were a couple of girls at the counter. One macgirl bypassed everyone in the line up started serving customers not in the lineup which was annoying... But thankfully the girl who was doing my makeover had just started or came back from lunch. She was really sweet + helpful I explained that I wanted to try out a smokey eye and a pale lip look + wanted brows done and to try out 2 specific products (cream blush + shadestick)

What was great was:
1. she picked the perfect nude lipstick for me
2. she brought a more products for me to think about using &
had to buy this concealer I had never thought of using!!!
3. took the time to explain what she was doing

Then she did a facechart.

choochoo.gif

GlamQueen21

Today at Nordstrom, I asked one of the MUA named Vivian about which Studio Fix Fluid shade am I. She applied NW47 on my face with a 190 Foundation brush and it perfectly matched my skintone! She also applied the MSF Natural in Deep Dark to set it. Now I want to visit the MAC counter again and get a makeover!

Mien

Just wanted to add that in the Netherlands the minimum purchase at a counter is €40,- and at the store it's €60,-

LILYisatig3r

I love MAC makeovers
smiles.gif
I always wanted to go get one when I saw them doing promotional makeovers when a new collection came out.

Anyway, I asked a girl at the counter, and she said that usually you have to call to make an appointment or you can do it right there at the counter. In my state, it's free most days of the week except you have to pay $50 on Fridays and Saturdays.

I went in, because my friend was taking some pictures of me for her Art contest and I let the lady know that I wanted a look that was striking enough to look good in a photograph but not too runway crazy. So she let me know that matte colors were usually best for photographs.

As far as these questions go, Jealous.Divine:

1) When should I book the appointment? Like if I want it this Sunday, would it be possible to call on Tuesday and say that I want an appointment?

-Yes you should be able to do that. As far as I know you can book up to like months in advance but like I said earlier, for me at my counter in my state, it costs money to do it on weekends or busy periods.

2) So I just say that I want a makeover, right? They'll inform me about everything else that I need to know?
-They may expect you to know what goes down, so if you're confused or unsure about whether or not you go in with a completely make-up free face for example, always ask.

3) If I'm really undecisive (which I've read that MAs can rather take that as annoying, or plain wasting their time) lack of experience, or I really want their recommendation, what should I say?
- Just ask! It's their job to be able to recommend to you what is best or what you may like as far as your lifestyle. Just make sure to let them know those types of things, such as what kind of look you want assistance on. I, personally, am an extremely un-decisive person and most of the MAC associates I've asked for advice on give fantastic advice so.

myystiqueen

is it better to go with $120 makeup lesson or $95 makeover??

i heard that we still got something to learn from the makeover...

jacquelinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTasFCUK
Does anyone have more info on a private make-up lesson from MAC? I'd really be interested in this because i think i need to briush up on my foundation techniques (its embarrassing when your own boyfriend notices a bad application!) and how to do a smokey eye. I have over 100 pieces of MAC products and many i don't use because i always end up making a mess out of it (example-black tied eyeshadow!). Please post more info if anyone knows!

MAC offers classes, ask a MA at macys for the next class available. there is a $75 fee but you get to use that money in products after you learned your lesson so it's a good deal.

Thank you so much, LILYisatig3r! That was very helpful!

And I hope that you wonderful people will have more makeover stories to tell. I am currently, still broke.

T.T

Have fun with all your MAC, gals!

hazel06

i have a question about getting a mac make over i understand in my area you have to buy $50 worth of products but i never had one
what should i expect
i want to bring in a pic showing what i want how many
looks can they show me will it only be one cause i dont want to be rude and i have a bunch pics and there not all the same look
and if they show me how to put on eyelashes are those the ones i have to buy or will i get to buy new ones
im not trying to be stubborn or ignorant i never had one

please let me know thanks

Babylard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel06
i have a question about getting a mac make over i understand in my area you have to buy $50 worth of products but i never had one
what should i expect
i want to bring in a pic showing what i want how many
looks can they show me will it only be one cause i dont want to be rude and i have a bunch pics and there not all the same look
and if they show me how to put on eyelashes are those the ones i have to buy or will i get to buy new ones
im not trying to be stubborn or ignorant i never had one

please let me know thanks

usually they will do one look for you and introduce to you products and tools that they have used on you. you can bring in photos of a certain look you want to try. the MA will use a new pair of lashes and you would have to buy them or else they'd use mascara on a disposable wand. or you can bring your own and do your own lashes...

hope that helps!

sassyclassy

I got my make up done two years ago at a MAC store for my prom, and I didn't like it. It was SO much make up; thick foundation and too dark eyes. And it wasn't a minimum purchase or anything like that (I would have preferred that because I would have been able to take some products home), it was a $50 set fee I believe and then I got a free mascara. And I ended up buying the lustre glass she used so I ended spending almost $90 on something I didn't like..hopefully if I ever opt to do that again it will be a better experience!

PS this was in Toronto, Canada

SwEetSouL08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mien
Just wanted to add that in the Netherlands the minimum purchase at a counter is €40,- and at the store it's €60,-

well does anyone know whether its the same fee in germany

Efionawade

I just thought I'd post and let everyone know what to expect if you're in Victoria and wanting your makeup done at the MAC store in Mayfair!!

We do things like eye demos or lip demos or even foundation demos and educate you about the product and application techniques for free, you don't have to make an appointment, just drop in! But, if you want all of those things done, it starts turning more into a full application rather than just a demo. At the point where you start wanting more than just to try one or two things on, we would offer you the Walk-up service!

With the Walk Up appointment, it's not guaranteed because we might not have enough staff on to cover the floor. We might have to ask you to come back in a few minutes. We might have to step away to help other customers while we are helping you. So the result of this is that the appointment might take longer than an hour, which is the general appointment length! What the deal is with a Walk Up appointment, is we will have you make a purchase commitment with us of 55$ on product. Not hard at all!

The other service we offer in regards to appointments is our booked appointments. We set up a time for you, you get an hour one-on-one with an artist, it's off the floor in a private makeup room. It's very exclusive and it's great for people who are shy about taking off all their makeup in front of the general public, and the artist doesn't have to step away to help other people! It's a lot of fun and we all love doing appointments. This service is 55$ set fee, so -not- redeemable, and you get a free mascara of your choice, and a facechart so you can recreate the look we've created!

Savannah

Just a quick question, and I know this won't be the same for every MAC store or counter, but worth a shot asking here.

I've put my name down for a MAC makeover on my birthday in two weeks, and when I booked in I had the MUA tell me I should bring in photos of what I want done.

The problem is I'm fairly laidback, and when I've had my makeup done with other brands I've given the MUA a run down of the event, or a brief view of what I'd like to learn by watching them -- like learn how to do a different kind of smokey eye -- and let them work their magic on me. I figure that they've had a lot more experience with colours, and better visualisation skills than me, so I'd rather not hinder them.

Would it be rude or annoying of me not to bring in a photo if it's a non-specific look I'm after? Would it be putting the MUA out too much if I asked them to take creative control if she's asked me to bring a photo?

Efionawade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah
Just a quick question, and I know this won't be the same for every MAC store or counter, but worth a shot asking here.

I've put my name down for a MAC makeover on my birthday in two weeks, and when I booked in I had the MUA tell me I should bring in photos of what I want done.

The problem is I'm fairly laidback, and when I've had my makeup done with other brands I've given the MUA a run down of the event, or a brief view of what I'd like to learn by watching them -- like learn how to do a different kind of smokey eye -- and let them work their magic on me. I figure that they've had a lot more experience with colours, and better visualisation skills than me, so I'd rather not hinder them.

Would it be rude or annoying of me not to bring in a photo if it's a non-specific look I'm after? Would it be putting the MUA out too much if I asked them to take creative control if she's asked me to bring a photo?

Personally, I LOVE when people give me free reign of their face! I'd say scrap the magazine clipping and just explain to them just some guidelines. For example, say you want to learn how to do a smokey eye, they should ask if you want it to be with colour or classic or browns etc. Just help them out by answering questions and they shouldn't need a photo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
it sounds like you're talking about an actual makeup lesson that they do at freestanding stores. those are completely different than appts. at all locations. stores do both, lessons (in a private room) and appts. everyone does appts., where you're out front, in front of everyone, and the cost of the appt. is redeemable in product. the cost is different at different locations on different days. if you're wanting to get it done for prom, you might wanna just do the regular appt, since the lesson appt actually teaches you how to do it, so it may take longer. not sure how long lesson appts are since i work at a counter. call and get all the info on the differences between the two and then book your appt.

odd question maybe... but if you book an actual lesson is it appropriate to tip the way you would in a salon for a haircut or other services?
hmm.gif
I mean is it typical? Maybe it depends on how many odd questions I ask my MUA...
winks.gif

tips are given to MA?? I didn't know that! I've never given any when I got a makeover and I thought that the more products I bought that means, the better job that they did.

so this is my other question - if I do a walk-in or book a demo at the counter (w/$ redeemable in product) or any time I buy product with really great help at the counter, does the MUA benefit directly from my buying more product or should I tip her when I feel like she's really gone above & beyond...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asprettydoes
odd question maybe... but if you book an actual lesson is it appropriate to tip the way you would in a salon for a haircut or other services?
hmm.gif
I mean is it typical? Maybe it depends on how many odd questions I ask my MUA...
winks.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jill325
tips are given to MA?? I didn't know that! I've never given any when I got a makeover and I thought that the more products I bought that means, the better job that they did.

so this is my other question - if I do a walk-in or book a demo at the counter (w/$ redeemable in product) or any time I buy product with really great help at the counter, does the MUA benefit directly from my buying more product or should I tip her when I feel like she's really gone above & beyond...?

Is does say 'neophyte' over on the left doesn't it?!
I just found an entire thread on my last 2 questions:
"Tipping Your MAC MA?"

Zuleika

I picked up an info sheet at the M.A.C store in Amsterdam.

MAKE-UP APPLICATION
A full make-up application for up to one hour. Includes a face chart. This booking guarantees uninterrupted service
60 euro redeemable

BRIDAL MAKE-UP APPLICATION
A full make-up application for up to 90 minutes. Includes a face chart. This booking guarantees uninterrupted service.
100 euro redeemable

SPECIALIZED MAKE_UP APPLICATION
A full make-up application for up to 90 minutes for a special event such as a party, wedding, photography session or special event. Includes a take-home personalized face chart.
100 euro redeemable

MAKE-UP LESSON
A full make-up lesson for up to 90 minutes on either fundamental make-up techniques or specialized make-up. Includes a take-home personalized face chart. You'll also receive mascara.
100 euro

Brow Shaping
Artful hair tweezing to refine and shape the brows, and maximize the look of your eyes. The shaping can take up to 20 minutes
30 euro

FALSE LASH APPLICATION
Expert application of false lashes when you bring in your own lashes. This service is complimentary if done at time of purchase of M.A.C lashes.
10 euro

M.A.C MAKE-UP PARTY
A private make-up session in the store with a minimum of 10 guests with one M.A.C Artist availible for every three guests. Guests have the store exclusively to play with make-up, explore new looks and purchase special products. Parties may be scheduled for up to two hours.
150 euro redeemable per person.

I hope that helps

Janeyx3

I'm planning to get a MAC makeover with my friends for prom. But I'm worried that it might look too over the top like the MAs. My dress is sea foam green so I don't really want to end up looking drag queen-ish. My friends and I are asian so I don't really know if the MA could work with asian faces well.

Also, I have single eyelids so would it be a hastle if I came in wearing eyelid tape?

I live in NYC and when I went to the counter, the MA said that we would have to buy 5 products. Since nothing is really under 10 dollars, would this be considered kinda expensive? (It would come out to >70 bucks)

Thanks for answering my questions!

BEA2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeyx3
I'm planning to get a MAC makeover with my friends for prom. But I'm worried that it might look too over the top like the MAs. My dress is sea foam green so I don't really want to end up looking drag queen-ish. My friends and I are asian so I don't really know if the MA could work with asian faces well.

Also, I have single eyelids so would it be a hastle if I came in wearing eyelid tape?

I live in NYC and when I went to the counter, the MA said that we would have to buy 5 products. Since nothing is really under 10 dollars, would this be considered kinda expensive? (It would come out to >70 bucks)

Thanks for answering my questions!

I am not an MA but I know they are trained to do make-up on all types of skin color and facial features.. so no worries there.
also, they do their make-up "over the top" (i actually love their looks!) to be creative and show off their skills.. they can do yours however you ask them to.