whatever happened to silicone primers?

pugmommy7

remember 6 months back when everyone was singing the praises of prep+prime or photofinish silicone foundation primers?
seems like now everyone (me included) fix+ and 187(or similar) with fluid foundation.
are we just fickle or was it really so great? anyone still using it? is it a seasonal thing?
love,
jen

professionaltart

i still use Prep+Prime face, i think Fix Fluid doesnt really do what P+P does at all. Fluid is too heavy for me and it dries to a powdery finish. I like the way P+p makes my skin feel.

ledonatella

I love the way P&P and other primers make my skin look but they break me out horribly, I tried another one 2 weeks or so ago and I'm still fighting off the effects. I learned I just can't do anything with Silicone.

koolkatz

I still use primers. Fix+ would be terrible as a primer IMO. It's basically just water - wouldn't provide a smooth surface for my ginormous pores.

Incus

I dont get how people could use fix+ as a primer? :confused:

If I put fix+ on a fresh clean face all ready for me to put on some makeup, it makes my face feel sticky. Doesnt anyone else have that problem? or is it just me?

I just use a good old oil-free moisturiser as a base
smiles.gif

litlaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmer
I use smashbox on days I am going to be wearing a full face, and loooooove it.

Same here. It's too hot here to wear foundation most of the time.

pugmommy7

interesting,
i use strobe cream persoanlly, and love bare esscenutals skin revver upper. but i am still wanting to try something silicon-ey. i guess i wanted to feel out if it was just a trend or what?
my face is a mess right now,and foundation is a joke as it is 102F!!!

bellaetoile

i still adore my prep and prime face, although i really only use it when i'm going out and wearing a full-face, am using it for photography, or it's SUPER hot outside. i had the smashbox primer, too, but just never replaced it when i ran out. prep and prime face does the same thing, really.

i don't understand why people claim that fix+ as a base is just as good. it did nothing for me as a base, though i love it to death to set my makeup.

and i always wear UDPP on my eyes as a base, with a shadestick or paint, as well as prep and prime lip on mu lips. the only primer i don't use by MAC, specifically, is prep and prime eye.

LadyLaundale

I adore my Prep and Prime face, in fact, I just used it again this morning (I couldn't find the bottle for awhile) and I am singing its praises. I was without my brushes and had to put SFF on with my fingers, which normally leaves me streaky and with an uneven coat, but this time it was smooth and even. I looked matte, yet dewy, and barely needed to apply my invisible set. I have to remember to use this more often, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't break me out. It's an amazing product!

Eye<3Colour

im on my second bottle of face P+P
smiles.gif
i love that stuff. im so glad i bought it at the beginning of the year to try it!!!

gummybug

I stopped using silicone primers because I felt they didn't do anything for the MU. I've been using Philosophy's The Present (not the powder one) and I'm very happy with it.

miss_emc

I personally HATE the feeling of silicone on my skin, which is why i won't use any products that contain Dimethicone or Cyclomethicone (INCI name for Silicone).

However, the reason why most companies use Silicone as their main ingredient in primers is because it creates a smooth film on the skin which prevents your skin from absorbing all the moisture from the foundation (which can leave your foundation looking uneven, cakey and blotchy). A primer that contains silicone is more likely to leave your make-up looking fresh and even, and will help the foundation stay on the surface of the skin for longer.

I don't really bother using a primer because the non-silicone ones i've tried didn't really do much, and I really can't stand the feeling of silicone, so I give up!

libra14

I love P&P face. i ran out and tried using something different for about 3 weeks. I have now repurchased P&P and my face looks so much smoother and just overall better. It works really well for my combination skin.

sigwing

I have the P&P and like it ok, but like someone else said, the Smashbox is awesome! I had some of it, and I've had a sample also of the DHC Velvet which was really nice, too. The smashbox is more than P&P, though.

wildesigns

OK, this may sound gross...I've heard this a couple of times that Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder Gel from Monistat is amazing as a primer and that it's virtually identical to several $$$ ones out there. I think it's a 2oz tube and is under $10 (I think it's like $7) & it's fragrance-free.

Anyway, you can go to Monistat's website and they are giving free samples of it under their Soothing Care section
oh.gif
I ordered a sample and am going to try it. I love the primer I'm using, but I'm always up for a new thing.

Latest posts