When did you REALLY get into m/u?

mac_obsession

How old were you?
What was your first m/u love?
What did your parental unit say when they first saw you w/ m/u on (if under 18)?
Do you consider your m/u application skills to be better than those around you? (friends/family)
Do you consider m/u to be an art?
Do you consider less is more?
If you do, does it also mean bright colors are "more"?
Are you a gloss girl (or boy) or a lipstick girl (or boy)?
Do you think that m/u is to enhance beauty?
Or do you think that m/u is meant only to hide imperfections?

what do you think?

heh I forgot to post my own answers. I was bored the other night and wrote this up
greengrin.gif

I actually was hrm 27 when I REALLY got into make up...
My first m/u love was Mac pink bronze pigment...Its what got me hooked. I used it as nail polish, e/s, l/g...

My parents tend to vary, my mother never wore m/u, so I never did.
Now has started to go high end cause of me..And always compliments me on my m/u. I even got one compliment from my very non-complimenting father.

The more time I spend on specktra the better my skills get so yeah...

Im a total gloss whore...

I consider m/u to be an art form, also to hide imperfections and enhance beauty...

I think that anything goes, sometimes less is more, but you can do less is more with bright colors as well..

Hawkeye

How old were you?

I *Think* it was covergirl. At the time I didnt like department store brands because I didnt understand the concept that Dept store brands were better so since I never went to the Dept stores i thought that those brands were harder to find.

What did your parental unit say when they first saw you w/ m/u on (if under 1?
You may need to even out your foundation some.

Do you consider your m/u application skills to be better than those around you? (friends/family)
Hell yeah.

Hell yeah.

It depends. I think for my natural look i pile makeup on and it looks as if I'm wearing absolutely nothing but I'm wearing a LOT. It just depends.

Nope

Gloss

Sure.

Nope

Juneplum

cute!!

How old were you?

i was 13 when i started experimenting, but 19 when i REALLY started getting into it!

on my own, bonne bell lipsmackers! when i got older, chanel and ysl thanks to my mom.. now i'm mac-atized
winks.gif

What did your parental unit say when they first saw you w/ m/u on (if under 18?

child! what are u doing with that on your face??
lol.gif

i think so.. lol .. they all come to me for help
lol.gif

it depends.. on runway shows and magazine work yes..

not necessarily

no..

gloss girl all the way
thmbup.gif

yup!!

mmm.. definitely NOT!
winks.gif

Janice

How old were you? 22?

What was your first m/u love? Stila

What did your parental unit say when they first saw you w/ m/u on (if under 18 )? N/A

Do you consider your m/u application skills to be better than those around you? (friends/family) My sister Jessica is pretty good, but we are really the only ones "into" makeup in our immediate family.

Do you consider m/u to be an art? I try to, I think it helps with creativity if you do.

Do you consider less is more? I go through my phases.. but recently I have been in a "less is more" phase.

If you do, does it also mean bright colors are "more"? No way, there are artful creative ways to throw an outrageously bright color into a "neutral" look.

Are you a gloss girl (or boy) or a lipstick girl (or boy)? I used to be a gloss girl, but I have really evolved into more of a lipstick woman.
winks.gif

Do you think that m/u is to enhance beauty? In my case, yes.
greengrin.gif

Or do you think that m/u is meant only to hide imperfections? It helps me do just that!
greengrin.gif

Dreamergirl3

How old were you?
Jane Face Calming foundation
That I didnt need to wear makeup, I was a natural beauty.
Yes, only because my family is the type to stick to old routines...some are great and I use the same techniques, but cmon Ma, evolve!
Yes
I do feel that less is really more, because in my personal opinion all anyone really needs is a good concealer and some mascara.
I dont think bright colors are "more" unless they're applied heavily, but thats usually just having fun with makeup!
Definately a gloss girl! I love to rub my lips together and feel the slickness.
Most definately!
Actually, I think it is meant partially to hide imperfections, but by hiding the "imperfections," I think that we also enhance our natural beauty! (oops...that kinda sounds like im contradicting myself!
tong.gif
)

pinkmilk

How old were you? around 7 but i was about 17 when i REALLY started getting into it

What was your first m/u love? benefit

What did your parental unit say when they first saw you w/ m/u on (if under 18)? nothing...

Do you consider your m/u application skills to be better than those around you? (friends/family) better then my relatives yes... friends... some yes... i also have friends that are MAs so no at times.
smiles.gif

Do you consider m/u to be an art? yes because it takes skills and practice to create something really beautiful and it doesnt always have to be beautiful to everyone... just the person who did it or whos sporting it.

Do you consider less is more? sometimes... foundation yes!

If you do, does it also mean bright colors are "more"? n.a.

Are you a gloss girl (or boy) or a lipstick girl (or boy)? i have just recently turned into a lipstick girl... MAC glosses clump on me and leave an icky feeling on my lips

Do you think that m/u is to enhance beauty? to the person wearing it sure...

Or do you think that m/u is meant only to hide imperfections? it does that too..

what do you think? I think that it both hides imperfections that people are uncomfortable with and enhances the beautiful parts of a person that they are totally cool with. for example... foundation for imperfect [scars, blotches, acne etc] skin, but eyeshadow to enhance the eyes or lipstick for lips... etc.

rofl.gif

exodus

How old were you? 23, I only got interested in it because I needed to have makeup on for my wedding in June. So I started to get interested about beginning of May this year *sad, I know*

What was your first m/u love? MAC Sprout e/s, which I used for my wedding!

What did your parental (in my case friends as well) unit say when they first saw you w/ m/u on (if under 18)? "Good God woman, you left organising makeup to 6 weeks before your wedding?"

Do you consider your m/u application skills to be better than those around you? (friends/family) Not by any stretch of the imagination. They're veterans and I'm a newbie.

Do you consider m/u to be an art? Well, it's more "fun" for me. I draw and paint and I suppose I view those more as my art. My makeup is more playing around.

Do you consider less is more? Not in terms of makeup. I love using bright colours. I don't see the point of putting on makeup that looks like you haven't put any on at all!

If you do, does it also mean bright colors are "more"? Bright colours are definitely "more" but I love them.

Are you a gloss girl (or boy) or a lipstick girl (or boy)? I love both! Generally I like gloss better, but since I have super-long hair, I have to wear lipstick when I wear my hair down otherwise hair + gloss = sparkly streaks all over my face.

Do you think that m/u is to enhance beauty? Or do you think that m/u is meant only to hide imperfections? I suppose it's to enhance beauty, but not for me personally. It's just fun! I don't have enough m/u skills for it to be beauty-enhancing haha.

Buttercup

How old were you? 15
What was your first m/u love? MAC
What did your parental unit say when they first saw you w/ m/u on (if under 10 ?) I think they just laughed.
Do you consider your m/u application skills to be better than those around you? (friends/family) No.
Do you consider m/u to be an art? Yes.
Do you consider less is more? Not really.
Are you a gloss girl (or boy) or a lipstick girl (or boy)? Gloss
Do you think that m/u is to enhance beauty? Yes and also other reasons.
Or do you think that m/u is meant only to hide imperfections? No.

Shoe Crazy

How old were you? I was about 19 I am 23 now

What was your first makeup love? It was MAC a friend brought me into the store and I just fell in love bought a few essentials and got started and I haven't stopped since.
What did your parental unit say when they first saw you with makeup on?
My mom didn't say much she knew it was coming.

Do you consider your makeup application skills to be better than those around you? Yes I do because a lot of my friends and family don't see the need to wear makeup like I do. They just wear the basics they don't get too fussy about it. My mother calls me a snob because I have such a problem with pharmacy store products. She feels they are just the same.

Do you consider makeup to be an art? Absolutely.

Do you consider less is more? At times, yes. It really depends on where you are going. At work less is more, at family functions less it more but when you are going out I feel you should go all out.

If you do, does it also mean bright colors are "more"? I never rule bright colors out.

Are you a gloss girl or a lipstick girl? I used to be strictly gloss girl but recently I have invested in many lipsticks and I am starting to use them more than my glosses. I tend to wear both at the same time at times.

Do you think that makeup is to enhance beauty? Or do you think that makeup is meant only to hide imperfections? Makeup is great for hiding imperfections but it is also for me a way to enchance beauty. It helps bring out your eyes and all our wonderful features. I'd be lost without my makeup!

Bubbles12_98

How old were you? ...in 4th grade when I would sneak out before school with eyeshadow 'n lipstick on

What was your first m/u love? covergirl

What did your parental unit say when they first saw you w/ m/u on (if under 18? My mom didn't want me wearing it(atleast to school), Dad didn't mind cuz i did a decent job & grandpa tripped 'n said i didn't need to be using it. Mind you I taught myself b/c my mom is a total tomboy

Do you consider your m/u application skills to be better than those around you? (friends/family) Heck yes...my mom is a tomboy 'n none of my friends understand my love

Do you consider m/u to be an art? Yup b/c I'm not talented in painting or drawing so I feel like my face is my canvas 'n I get to paint pretty pictures 'n colors to create my look

Do you consider less is more? Depends on the occasion 'n my mood

If you do, does it also mean bright colors are "more"? Sometimes I LOOVE bright e/s colors, but I also know that sometimes they aren't a good idea for the occasion

Are you a gloss girl (or boy) or a lipstick girl (or boy)? both, usually layered...I like slick glosses, not sticky...which is why i LOVE MAC gloss but don't wear it much

Do you think that m/u is to enhance beauty? The foundation, yes...it hides imperfections. I know that's why I started wearing foundation..it hid my redness in my burns

Or do you think that m/u is meant only to hide imperfections? I believe these questions are similar b/c if it hides your imperfections, it basically enhances your beauty...get it?

Onederland

How old were you?
Uh...14.

MAC Song and Dance Lipglass.

What did your parental unit say when they first saw you w/ m/u on?
They shook their heads. Hahahaha -_-'...

Do you consider your m/u application skills to be better than those around you?
(friends/family)

Most definately. Not to be cocky, but now many 16 year olds can say they've been offered 3 jobs at various counters. I also have a passion for avant garde makeup, which makes me busy for parties and whatnot. The first thing people notice about me is my makeup.

Most definately, just like regular painting. There are brushes, colors, and a palette to work with...the face.

For everyday makeup? yes. For avant garde? no.

Depends on the look you're going for.

Both.

Most definately.

Honestly, yes. If you had flawless skin, why wear foundation? right? If you had naturally rosy cheeks, why wear blush? if you had lush lashes, why wear mascara?

moonrevel

How old were you? 12

What was your first m/u love? Hahah, I think it was Clinique's Almost Lipstick in Black Honey when I was 13.

What did your parental unit say when they first saw you w/ m/u on (if under 18?) Hell, it was my mother who first took me to the Clinique counter when I needed makeup for a dance recital! She has always humored me with these things, even when I was 13 or so and got my first crazy Urban Decay eyeshadow. I think she knew I was makeup trouble from a very young age. This is a long story, but it's cute, so I'll take some space to tell it....when Ultima II was in major department stores, my mother went there once a week because the woman who worked there was very nice and helpful. When I was still a baby, they would put my carrier on the counter and the woman would fuss over me. As I got a bit bigger, I would get all over the testers, and by the time we left, I would be covered in makeup. I guess there was no stopping me after that!

Do you consider your m/u application skills to be better than those around you? (friends/family) Yes, only because no one else I know is really that into makeup.

Do you consider m/u to be an art? For me, it is, but I don't think it necessarily is for everyone. It's pretty much the only art with which I have some skill.

Do you consider less is more? I think it depends on the person. For a lot of people, less (or none!) is great, and they look wonderful, but for me, well, more is more.
smiles.gif

If you do, does it also mean bright colors are "more"? Not at all. I think subdued and subtle colors can be just as beautiful and artful as brights. And both can look ridiculous, if you know what I mean!

Are you a gloss girl (or boy) or a lipstick girl (or boy)? Lipstick girl!

Or do you think that m/u is meant only to hide imperfections? I'll answer these together...I think it can do either or neither. For me, makeup is just fun. I don't really spend a whole lot of time with covering things like under-eye circles or acne (haha, but maybe I should!), but I don't think I am ugly without makeup or anything like that. I think everyone is beautiful, and it's totally personal choice how you decide to use makeup, if that makes any sense.

singinmys0ng

How old were you?
I guess around 13 but 16 is when I really started to "care" about m/u
lol OPI lipstick bora bora pink
What did your parental unit say when they first saw you w/ m/u on
I think my mom said go show your dad and laughed lol
Most def. (besides my mom..she does just as good as a job)
Yes because i never know what my m/u will be the next day..it just all depends on my mood.
For a natural look yes. Just depends what look you are wanting to do.
I think it's more colors..so i guess in a way it's "more"
Def. lipstick!
Yes
Of course I think it's one of the main reason why men and women wear m/u. We all have our imperfections and want to hide them.

BadPrincess

How old were you? 11... was putting it on, on the way to school & wiping it off on the ride home lol

What was your first m/u love? Maybelline & Covergirl, my mom never (still doesn't) wears makeup but I used to watch my grandmother ever since I could remember... she would use covergirl foundation, maybelline great lash & eyeliner. When I was getting into it I just followed her lead.

What did your parental unit say when they first saw you w/ m/u on? My mom flipped out, told me it causes wrinkles & will make your face break out She was really against it. But I knew she couldn't be correct because my grandmother always looked her best.

Do you consider your m/u application skills to be better than those around you? Yes seems most my friends/family have out grown it or something, just wearing makeup only if they have a big event. Where as I can not leave the house unless I have at least mascara & lip-gloss on.

Do you consider m/u to be an art? Yes anything involving using your creative side is art.

Do you consider less is more? Sometimes, it really depends on the look I'm after that day.

If you do, does it also mean bright colors are "more"? No

Are you a gloss girl (or boy) or a lipstick girl (or boy)? Gloss Girl

Do you think that m/u is to enhance beauty? Most Certainly

Do you think that m/u is meant only to hide imperfections? It helps to hide them but I think its more about bringing out your good features then people aren't focused on your bad ones...

CWHF

How old were you? about 29! Though I always loved watching my mom put on her face when I was a little girl.

What was your first m/u love? lip products---fancy balms, then glosses

What did your parental unit say when they first saw you w/ m/u on (if under 1? My mom was the only one in my high school begging me to put on a little makeup and color! I was a very busy tomboy with no interest then.

Do you consider your m/u application skills to be better than those around you? (friends/family) About the same

Do you consider m/u to be an art? Definitely!

Do you consider less is more? Yes

If you do, does it also mean bright colors are "more"? Not necessarily. Bright can be done well. By "more" I think of mask like makeup, unflatteringly spackled on. Any color can be applied beautifully and flatteringly, no matter how bright.

Are you a gloss girl (or boy) or a lipstick girl (or boy)? Lipgloss all the way!

Do you think that m/u is to enhance beauty? Definitely to enchance. Makeup for me isn't mandatory---it's for fun and to enhance but not to hide with.

Alexa

How old were you?

haha oh god..probably my first mac shadows? shroom, honesty and mulch. how original
greengrin.gif

What did your parental unit say when they first saw you w/ m/u on (if under 18 ?
didn't care at all. surprisingly..

.... yeah. my mom and sister know how to put makeup on but there's definitely some things they could improve on. and dont get me started on my friends
winks.gif

yes! definitely.

hmm depends on the look

nononno!

glossy. its easier for me to apply during the day than lipstick is.

definitely! i use such bright colors on my eyes because they're my best feature.

personally, no. but i know it's different for other people. it's all on how people want to be noticed.

beyondhope1024

How old were you? 11, I'm 16 now.
What was your first m/u love? Some cream eyeshadow from Claire's.
What did your parental unit say when they first saw you w/ m/u on (if under 18)? Nothing really.
Do you consider your m/u application skills to be better than those around you? (friends/family) Yes! Nobody knows how to apply make up in my small little town.
Do you consider m/u to be an art? Of course.
Do you consider less is more? Depends.
If you do, does it also mean bright colors are "more"? Depends.
Are you a gloss girl (or boy) or a lipstick girl (or boy)? I used to be all about glosses but now I'm using lipsticks more.
Do you think that m/u is to enhance beauty? It can be.
Or do you think that m/u is meant only to hide imperfections? It all depends.

Shawna

How old were you? 14 or 15
What was your first m/u love? Mary K had a clear gloss in a pink tube that I used all the time
What did your parental unit say when they first saw you w/ m/u on (if under 18)? I was a total tomboy. I think my mom cried tears of joy when she saw me in m/u
Do you consider your m/u application skills to be better than those around you? (friends/family) I wouldn't say better, just different. I have learned so much from Specktra about how to make colours pop, and how to apply m/u
Do you consider m/u to be an art? It is the only artistic thing about me so hell yeah.
Do you consider less is more? I will do neutrals, but I like colour more. I figure if you're going to wear it, wear it like you mean it.
If you do, does it also mean bright colors are "more"? I don't think anything is "more" it is all in how and where you apply it.
Are you a gloss girl (or boy) or a lipstick girl (or boy)? I am such a gloss girl that one of my son's first words was lipgloss. Seriously.
Do you think that m/u is to enhance beauty? I think it enhances beauty
Or do you think that m/u is meant only to hide imperfections? Personally, I like everyones imperfections. It's what makes everybody unique. Like my freckles, I hate covering them up. I like showing them off.

bellezzadolce

How old were you? Around 11
What was your first m/u love? Lipgloss
What did your parental unit say when they first saw you w/ m/u on (if under 18)? WTH!
Do you consider your m/u application skills to be better than those around you? (friends/family) Yes
Do you consider m/u to be an art?Yes
Do you consider less is more? No
Are you a gloss girl (or boy) or a lipstick girl (or boy)? gloss girl
Do you think that m/u is to enhance beauty? yes
Or do you think that m/u is meant only to hide imperfections? NO!

user4

How old were you?
ummm 23 (embarassed)
must be MAC
(wow... under 1?)
(now yes... before not really!
who wouldnt?
sometimes... depends on the look ur going for.
i like the bright... but again it depends on the look ur going for.
def gloss girl... a little l/s here and there but the gloss is a must...
yes... defenitly.
i think it can hide hide imperfection... but its not gonna help if a person is hideous... that's y i think it's mainly to enhance beauty... and of course for fun!