When Did You/Will You Allow Your Daughter to Wear Makeup?

Caramel_QT

Curious.

I have 3 daughters (and one son). My girls are all gaga over my makeup and they can't wait. Now they are very young 11, 6, and 5 but, they are counting down the days till they can have their own pretty stuff.

Caramel_QT

I should also mention that I started wearing it grade 7, so I was about 13 or 14. I guess it's only fair that I let my girls do the same...

purrtykitty

^^Yeah, I will probably follow the same rule. Light-colored pink polish whenever she wants, but no bolder colors until she's twelve (that was the "magic" age my mother started letting me wear makeup and such). Same will go for makeup, but nothing too heavy to start with. My mom let me experiment over summer breaks with bright, fun colors and makeup that I bought with my babysitting earnings/allowance. I will probably do the same...assuming I end up with any girls. Here's hoping...

CantAffordMAC

I wore a tiny bit of eyeliner (you couldn't even tell) when I was in like 7th grade. I guess thats when I started getting cheap eyeshadows and lip glosses and stuff too.
Whenever I have daughters I think I'll let them wear makeup no earlier than 7th grade. And thats kind of pushing it. I'd rather she started wearing it in like 9th grade.

I can't wait.

chocolategoddes

I started "officially" wearing make up like 5 weeks before my 16th birthday so I'm pretty much a noob. I think I'd allow my daughter to do lip gloss and mascara when she starts middle school and she can go crazy with it when she turns 16. I had a friend in 5th grade who was rockin some Hello Kitty glitter eye shadow everyday,

n_c

That's an excellent question...I've got a nine year old and I have never thought of that before. She's not entirely interested in girly things of any sort. However, 8th grade seems appropriate for gloss and mascara.

alexisdeadly

I wore mascara when I was 16 nd started with makeup when I was 18. If I have daughters, I would not want them wearing makeup earlier than 15

Beauty Mark

I was 11. I started off with a Lip Smacker tinted lip balm (remember those?), Almay powder, and mascara. Nothing expensive. Unless your kid has terribly sensitive skin, I think cheap stuff is suitable. I only got better stuff when I was like 13-14, and that was Clinique powder only

I always was allowed to wear nail polish.

lainz

my parents didnt allow me to wear makeup until i was 15...after my quinceañera which is the hispanic rite of passage i guess... i dunno. i wasnt even allowed to wear tinted lip gloss until then...or nail polish...ugh. i dont think ill be as strict with my future daughters....but definitely no foundation or eyeshadows till shes 15.

Shimmer

My daughter's 11 and she gets a pass as long as it's clean, blended, and flattering. Nothing outlandish yet...

x-ivy

i think i'l start letting my daughter wear make-up around 14-15 years old. i think the pressure from peers in high school would push her to wanting to wear it...so i'd rather let her use it with my acknowledge than creeping around behind my back using hers friends' make-up :s

Caramel_QT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
My daughter's 11 and she gets a pass as long as it's clean, blended, and flattering. Nothing outlandish yet...

Really? You are a cooler mom than I am, lol. I will prob. let her wear it next year, when she's in grade 7, but I'm not telling her than now, she'll be buggin me from now till then, lol. Yesterday at Sephora I got this sample of Cargo gloss and she wanted to go back and get her own. Of course I said no, because then the 5 and 6 year old would start bawling too.

Caramel_QT

Yeah, I agree that setting the boundaries regarding colours etc. and not making a huge deal of it, is the way to go. My mom was into makeup and that's how I developed an interest. That's basically what's happening with my girls. My mom let me try out stuff, and she (or my dad) never made a huge deal of it. I was always allowed to wear nailpolish too. I think as long as they aren't wearing red or fushia on their lips or nails than it should be okay. I realize that everyone has their own values and that is cool too.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel_QT
Really? You are a cooler mom than I am, lol. I will prob. let her wear it next year, when she's in grade 7, but I'm not telling her than now, she'll be buggin me from now till then, lol. Yesterday at Sephora I got this sample of Cargo gloss and she wanted to go back and get her own. Of course I said no, because then the 5 and 6 year old would start bawling too.

I'd rather she be able to wear the colors I allow her to wear and not look silly than sneak it on in the girls' bathroom at school and look ridiculous.
smiles.gif

I'm a fairly strict mom (as many members here know from past discussions) but I try to remember where I was at that point, and try to keep it in perspective as far as where she's at now and how things have changed.
smiles.gif

faifai

When she's able to use it properly and be responsible with it.

I was around 12 or 13 when I started wearing makeup. It was usually a wash of champagne colored eyeshadow. I couldn't really rely on my mother to teach me very much because she doesn't wear all that much makeup, but I wish I could have learned from somebody. Hahaha. I didn't get "good" at doing it until I was about 15 or 16 - that's when the eyeliner, mascara and lash curler came out to play. Plus, it takes a lot of experimentation with different brands and types of products to figure out what works best for you, so that factored into it as well.

I'd rather teach my kid to look nice than have them sneak around and look like a fool. Most kids seem to express interest around when they enter middle school, so if my kid does around that age, I'll buy her a few things and teach her how to use them properly.
greengrin.gif

*KT*

I was allowed to wear makeup at 13. Since I didn't really have any money of my own at that age, I had to wear what my mom gave me. I remember it as really pale pastel colors and pale pink shimmery lipgloss from Mary Kay.

I think it was a pretty reasonable age as I wasn't to the point of sneaking it at school. In elementary school there was a girl who'd open up her desk and apply gobs of makeup and BRIGHT blue eyeshadow as soon as school started for the day. It was kinda funny because no one else around had a lick of makeup on and she had this see-it-from-a-mile-away clown face. Ahhh, youth. lol

Ms.Amaranthine

My boyfriend and I have talked about this. I wear a fair bit of makeup and I absolutely love it. Avalon sits and watches me put it on most days. I know it won't be long before she's asking me to let her wear my lipstick and paint her nails.

Yours truly didn't wear eyeshadow or foundation until she was 17. Blush waited until I was 19. Not because my mom wouldn't allow it, I just didn't know what I was doing. I've had to teach myself everything I know about makeup. I find nothing wrong with teaching Avalon to do it all properly once she reaches Junior High. I won't buy her anything bright or dramatic until she's in high school though. Between now and then, I'm sure she'll want lipgloss or something of that sort.. and I don't care if she wears that as long as it's very light and she can apply it herself.

I can't be the only one that's excited about passing on the gift though, am I? The first time I buy my daughter MAC will be a special day for me.

Caramel_QT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
I'd rather she be able to wear the colors I allow her to wear and not look silly than sneak it on in the girls' bathroom at school and look ridiculous.
smiles.gif

I'm a fairly strict mom (as many members here know from past discussions) but I try to remember where I was at that point, and try to keep it in perspective as far as where she's at now and how things have changed.
smiles.gif

ITA - Thanks!

Caramel_QT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Amaranthine
I can't be the only one that's excited about passing on the gift though, am I?

Giiiiirl! You are so not the only one! LOL!
th_DANCE.gif

xsnowwhite

i wore mascara in 7th grade but didnt use anything (except cover up, i had acne) else until 9th grade so I will probably keep that rule but no earlier than 7th grade.