When Did You/Will You Allow Your Daughter to Wear Makeup?

HeavenLeiBlu

I didn't start until high school, so that means I was 14. My daughter has always begged me for a a little gloss since she was small, and I obliged her with some clear or nude gloss. She's 14 now and still isn't interested in anything but lipgloss. I don't mind her wearing it now, as long as she's buying it. LOL.

babiid0llox

I know this isn't really answering the OP's question. But I started wearing makeup when I was 11 turning 12, that in Australia was Year 7 (beginning of highschool). My makeup was natural looking most of the time except when I had black eyeliner on, I had bad skin by the way.

SkylarV217

I think Middle school is fine as long as you have conditions.

1.) All Make up must be approved by you.
2.) She must use it in an appropriate way for her age.
3.) She must wash and take care of her skin every night and morning or whatever you feel is needed

It could be a nice bonding experience for you to take her to the store , Just you and the oldest , Pick out the appropriate make up & Face cleaning products and a fun case for it . Then go for lunch and afterward give her a make-up lesson =)

.k.

I started wearing lipgloss very young, prob around 9. I wasnt allowed to paint my nails until i was 15 and even at 16 my mom didnt let me wear makeup to school because she didnt want me ruining my face. i could wear it on weekends though with no problem. that was a bit strange. now i skip makeup for school, and only wear blush. haha

xxManBeaterxx

Start slow at around 11 i had bonne bell sheer lipsticks, at 13 i owned my first mac lipgloss nympette and mac blot powder since i had an extremely shiny face. At 15 i wore eyeliner neutral eyeshadows and started to wear foundation since my acne started. By 17 i wore it all lol.

theblackqueen

While looking at this thread, I began to wonder when my mother allowed me to wear make up. I think she was always fairly supportive and was a galmourpuss so she would always get me lip glosses, lip sticks, make up kits etc for christmas and my birthday or for a fun reward from when i was in 5th grade onward. My school didn't allow make up so I didn't really start wearing make up until high school, but my mom would always keep her eyes peeled and would bring me a wide variety of colors and would encourage experimenting in my spare time. There were times when she put her foot down (too much pink glitter, too much eyeliner, etc) but those times were few and far between and she was pretty cool about letting me fly my freak flag (she'd get me purple lipstick or bright red lipstick with glitter, red glittery eyeliner... all kinds of weird crap).
I don't want any children, but if i have any I would encourage them to play around with make up and I would get them make up books. I probably won't let them wear full on make up until high school, because I believe that's really when it's important to have your own style come out.

b3AuTiFuL323

I started wearing makeup when I was 15 about to turn 16 and I only wore BE makeup and thats it.So when I have a daughter I don't think I would want her to start wearing makeup any earlier than 15.Maybe I would allow her to wear some lip gloss before the age of 15 but thats it.Im 17 now and I wear everything......blush,foundation,lip gloss......ect.

KikiB

Well when I was in the 6th grade, I was experimenting with makeup one day and my mom came home and was so mad that I was not allowed to wear any for a month...then when that month was over I hit the Bonne Bell lip stuff like there was no tomorrow. They had one that was a marshmallow scent, a VERY frosty brown/silver, and I rocked that like there was no tomorrow (to my embarassment). That summer was when I hit Wet/Wild and Bonne Bell, and I had the WORST looks ever. My mum said that as long as I kept the eyes neutral, I was fine...but there are pictures of me back in the 7th grade (fall of 2000) at the ordination service for a relative, and I had on the most atrocious dark purple lipstick ever. It was from the Halloween collection. Gold lipstick? I had it. Silver? You betcha. Blue? So mine.

I guess you can say that I was doing it all, albeit terribly, by the time I was 15. There were a lot of days I would never do makeup, because I was more concerned with getting as much sleep as possible before school before having to leave the house at 7:04 AM to catch the bus that would be there by 7:11.

Back to the topic, I see no problem with people using it once they are in middle school. However, to avoid mistakes like mine, please a) show them the good quality makeup, and b) either give them a lesson, or better yet, take them to a beauty salon or a counter to get a lesson. It could be a birthday thing almost-get them a good quality set of makeup.

M.A.C. head.

I have a daughter and I've thought about this before. I'll let her have little chapsticks when she's 5 or 6. Then when she gets older she can play with the little make up sets if she likes them.

As for really "wearing" make up, anything more than lip gloss outside the house will have to wait until she's about to hit high school.

The eye liner, mascara, shadow, lip stick and what not will come when I feel that she really understands how beautiful she is naturally. I don't ever want her to think that she's using make up to cover up anything, rather to enhance what her momma gave her.

stacylynne

I really started wearing makeup when I was 15. If & when I decide to have kids & if they're girl. I would start them out with only pink glosses & mascara only when they turn 16.

I have a 16 year old cousin & she's not interested in makeup at all.

benzito_714

i think about this all the time. i have a a multitude of sisters (ages 4 to 20) who are crazy over makeup and i have a daughter. my husband constantly questions me about it because he says our baby will want to do everything i have done-piercings, tattoo, make-up, etc. so i have a timeline...
chapstick- 4 and up
*i don't think i will get her those kiddie make-ups because they are not all that cool for children's skin and they get so messy in such a short time that you wind up throwing them away
skin care-10 and up (will be tailored to her skin type and changes in skin as she matures)
eyebrows, tinted lipglosses-12 or 14 haven't decided
full make-up-16 to 18 (she will earn in steps)
of course this is contingent on if she is even interested in make-up

vuittongirl

lipglosses, anytime. my 3 yr old daughter already has her own "makeupcase" with lipsmackers and pretend glitter eye makeup(which doesnt actually show up on the skin, but dont tell her that lol)

id say once she turned 12/13 she can start experimenting with a little more than just lipglosses.

Sweexy985

I was around 15 when I started wearing the first tinges of makeup, so I'll probably let my girls start around that age, too.

But when I'm putting my makeup on, my girls always come and watch me. They ask for a little bit, so I only put an itty bitty amount of gloss on for them and they go run to the mirror. lol Am I wrong for doing that? I definitely wouldn't let them go to school with it on, just running around the house.

MzEmo

if i had a daughter id say anytime after 7th grade but it has to be natural. i dont want my kid to be called a "whore" in school because kids are stupid. bolder colors in high school.

carandru

Let's see. My mother wasn't really around when I became "of age" and I lived w/ my grandmother who couldn't say to her little grand babies. So, I started wearing makeup when I was in the.... 5th grade, I believe. I used the whole gammut: foundation, eyeshadow, eye liner, blush and bright red lipstick. Ha ha, that was the one thing my mother taught me about makeup. "You will always look like a lady with red lipstick and red nails". For years, I thought that looked like a hooker... go figure. One day, I just happened to look in the mirror and to my horror I LOOKED LIKE A CLOWN
wtff.gif
!!! I asked my granny why wouldn't you tell me I looked super duper extra crazy???? Ha ha, she said "I knew you would figure it out eventually" I stopped wearing makeup everyday then, and just started wearing it for special occasions. Even now, I really only wear makeup to go out b/c yes, clubbing is a special occasion!

As far as my kids go, I'll let them experiment when they are probably around 12. But, I'll be there to offer some guidance and restrictions if I see a need.

marley20

I started wearing make-up in 6th grade...I was only allowed to wear mascara and lip gloss. In 8th grade I started wearing foundation, pressed powder, eyeshadow, and eyeliner top and bottom.

MsChrys79

My 13 year old is into lipgloss but that's about it....she'll let me practice on her SOMETIMES but she hurries to wash it off....My 14 year old wears it occasionally but i can tell that she can definetly live without it so I guess when my oldest turns 15 or so and probably the same for my youngest.they already get their brows waxed but that's because of the hair growth

..of course when they start to expiriment it will just be the basics (glosses that are a little more tinted, a little mascara) the "still can't tell I have it on" stuff, we already practice skincare so they're good on that end.

but I didn't start wearing it til recently and I'll be 29 in December. so if they don't seem interested I won't push the issue...I will however let them know when they're ready I'm here to help them learn the right way to apply it...

florabundance

If my daughter is attracted to it from a young age then as she's growing up, i'll make sure she has items here and there that are age appropriate.
The reason for this is that I want my baby to learn that make up can be about emphasising, not concealing, your natural beauty.