Who doesn't use colored powder?

SolarWhite

I was reading Carmindy's 5 min face book and she recommended not using a colored powder. This is a new concept to me. The idea of using a liquid foundation and just using a colorless setting powder seems like a good idea for an Arizona summer. Less is more, here. Just the walk from my house to the car in 115 degree heat turns my face into a cakey mess. Carmindy says that colored powder adds an extra layer of pigment you don't need.
I am pretty excited to try this out.
If you do this, what brand of translucent powder do you use? Loose or Compact?

Simply Elegant

I used to use NYC's loose and pressed versions but I think they only have coloured ones now. I'm buying MUFE's translucent super matte loose powder this week though.

alka1

Interesting - just goes to show that every makeup artist has a different way of doing things. Bobbi Brown on the other hand, always recommends using a yellow-toned powder because it disappears on the skin. She says translucent powders tend to leave a white cast on the skin - and i've mostly found that that is true for the most part.

it doesn't have to be ultra-pigmented, but a small hint of color will allow the powder to blend better on the skin. it also depends on your skin tone.

SolarWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by alka1
Interesting - just goes to show that every makeup artist has a different way of doing things. Bobbi Brown on the other hand, always recommends using a yellow-toned powder because it disappears on the skin. She says translucent powders tend to leave a white cast on the skin - and i've mostly found that that is true for the most part.

it doesn't have to be ultra-pigmented, but a small hint of color will allow the powder to blend better on the skin. it also depends on your skin tone.

Well she reccomends "translucent" in her book. But the next sentence she says that they usually tinted, but it will disappear once on the skin.
I think the idea is the same though..

**EDIT**

Oh I just looked through my bobbi brown book. On page 55 in her makeup manual it says that most people can use yellow toned loose powder, but fairer skinned people may need to use white-toned powder.
*Raises hands* That's me, as white as can be. So I guess it depends on your skin color!

Kuuipo

I get a much more natural look -like bare skin only better-with a light dusting of translucent powder. I've found a translucent non sparkley powder with a pale lavender tint to it because my skin is very yellow.

Sanayhs

Ben Nye's Neutral Set Powder. Insanely cheap and works. Translucent.
smiles.gif

reesesilverstar

Me too... Ben Nye Neutral set - it's white, but blends colorless... Works WAAAAAAAAAAY better than translucent powders on my skintone.

TISH1124

...Ordering Ben Nye now!!! Can't wait to try it ...and for the price...Not gonna be mad if it doesn't work so great on my skin

SolarWhite

Wow, I am totally adding the ben nye to my list. Does anyone know what the ingredients are?

Also, What brush do y'all reccomend for the nuetral set powder? Can you use MAC's kabuki?

Sanayhs

Sure you can use the MAC kabuki with it! That, or any big fluffy powder brush will work just fine.
smiles.gif
If you look around, surely you can find the ingredient list somewhere.

elektra513

Quote:
Originally Posted by alka1

I think that the intention of both of these types of powder serve the same purpose--as opposed to a skin tone colored loose powder. A BB MA mentioned to me once that when you find the perfect shade in your foundation, you need to keep it that way by not using a regular loose powder. I don't really consider BB's yellow powder a colored powder b/c it doesn't really change the shade of the foundation the way other powders do, such as MAC Select Loose, for example.

I recently purchased LM translucent, and don't know why it took me so long to invest in a truly translucent powder to set foundation. My colored loose powders will now be reserved for the days when I just wear concealer only and want an allover dusting for shine control and very light coverage.

reesesilverstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWhite
Wow, I am totally adding the ben nye to my list. Does anyone know what the ingredients are?

Also, What brush do y'all reccomend for the nuetral set powder? Can you use MAC's kabuki?

Ingredients:

Talc, Aluminum hydroxide, Methyl-paraben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Sorbic Acid.

I use a huge powder brush to apply mines with, just a teensy weensy lil bit.

Lapis

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesesilverstar
Me too... Ben Nye Neutral set - it's white, but blends colorless... Works WAAAAAAAAAAY better than translucent powders on my skintone.

I was thinking I needed a blot powder since the heat has come back to the south and my makeup turns into this awful greasy mess
nonono.gif

Where do you get yours?

Pimpinett

I do. Translucent, colourless setting powder, I like how it sets my make-up without affecting the colour or oxidising on top of it. I also like that powdered, old-fashioned look it can give - if I don't want it I just press my hands lightly against my face to remove excess and get a more natural-looking finish.

Lapis

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesesilverstar

Ok I got this today and I want to say, this thing is the TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love it!! and I love the price
choochoo.gif

Cinci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanayhs
Ben Nye's Neutral Set Powder. Insanely cheap and works. Translucent.
smiles.gif

This is what I use too.. I love it!

I ordered mine from Amazon.com

Dreamergirl3

I was a devout translucent powder user until recently. I am IN LOVE with Ben Nye's Banana Visage powder. It's a great yellow powder. It adds hardly any pigment to my skin but helps soften everything a bit. Lately I've been mixing it with L'Oreal Translucide translucent powder (another hg of mine) and it is perfection.

reesesilverstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapis
Ok I got this today and I want to say, this thing is the TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love it!! and I love the price
choochoo.gif

Ha ha, I'm glad you like it! I got mines at this costume shop about 30 mins from me and I'm glad I tried it...

It is the truth.