Why does everybody hate lustres?!

Randy Rose

Hey ladies and gents, just curious . . .

Why does everyone hate lustres? The only one I have is Swimming, but I adore it, and I like some of the colors and have been thinking of getting some more. Why all the hate?

Hilly

For me, it's the lack of color payoff...aka the cocktease of eyeshadows. I see an awesome color and then it doesnt look good.

Also, the glittery, disco ball mess. Blargh.

Susanne

I love lustres!
winkiss.gif
Especially Swimming and Aquadisiac!

There can't be enough shimmer, can there?

MacPinkFlamingo

^^^I agree (with Hilly)! Also, I will say that I have swimming and the texture is a but more like my other eyeshadows. Idol Eyes, for example, almost has a creamy consistency that does not load onto a brush well. The same is true for Nightrain and Sweetlust. However, Goldbit (sooo yummy) I have to admit delivers in spite of the creamy texture. Maybe the glitter chunk size, or type, affects the texture and color payoff? I really don't understand it. I find the Lustres to be an unruly group, and it makes me sad because most of them are outrageously beautiful in the pan. Something is lost in translation when I to put them on my face.

capmorlovesmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne
I love lustres!
winkiss.gif

I love Retrospeck and Mythology
bigheart.gif

rt66chix

Lustre hater here. Some of them, I'll admit, are decent at best, but the separation of color and chunky sparkly bits is offputting for me. They feel chalky and the only way you can get decent payoff is to scrape off some, then pack in on like crazy. I feel like Lustre is probably cheaper for MAC to make cuz of the extra fillers (aka less pigment) in them.

hawaii02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne
I love lustres!
winkiss.gif

Swimming is one of my favorites, but Aquadisiac doesn't give as much payoff to me.

vetters77

I loathe lustres. No color payoff and tons of fallout. They always look amazing in the pan but turn out NOTHING like that on lids. I'm not a fan...

nelyanaphonexia

I am probably one of the only people who bought, uses and likes Idol Eyes. It just looks pretty on, and I've never had trouble applying it. :shrug: All of the other lustres I have are also awesome.
greengrin.gif
They are glitter, sparkly, fun and glittery. Must. Have. Glitter.
greengrin.gif

panther27

I also happen to like lustres.They work fine for me,plus I use other textures with them
thmbup.gif
I loveeee glitter and shimmer
choochoo.gif

kimmy

some of them are alright by me, like retrospeck and tempting...but the inconsistency in the lustre finish really irritates me. i saw filament at my counter and it looked gorgeous, but when i ordered it online i got a pot that was full of giant disco ball glitters. i guess it just depends on the batch, but i really think that for $14.50 per, the finish should be consistent.

FiestyFemme

I think Swimming is definitely one of the better Lustres... it's more of a velvet (or something) flecked with shimmer, while most of the Lustres are just all glitter and not a lot of color payoff. I have a few - Pink Venus, Tempting, Swimming, Idol Eyes - and I do not plan on getting anymore. Idol Eyes is the worst, and while I like the color of Tempting and Swimming, it's just not worth all the glitter fallout around my eyes. I hate looking/feeling like a discoball.

sharkbytes

I have heard that swimming applies a lot nicer than other lustres...but there's that one, I think it's Honey Lust? Worst e/s ever! It's not even the glitter, so much as the chunkiness. I used to hate mythology too, but I've found that I can make it work using Rubenesque paint pot underneath it. Also, I find it hard to work with Tempting, and I was SO ecstatic that Starflash had Go, which is basically an dreamy-to-work-with Tempting.

Simply Elegant

I love lustres. It takes a bit longer to apply because of the fallout but I don't have problems with them not being pigmented enough.

M.A.C. head.

The glitter
ssad.gif

I want to love them, but the ones that I have are just so chalked full of glitter. They don't blend well enough with other shadows, for me a least.

KTB

I like some, don't like others. Sweet Lust is useless unless I want to look like I sprayed glitter on my face. Swimming is okay but never looks as good on me as it does in the pan. Retrospeck and Tempting are amazing though and I would never have believed they were lustres byt the way they go on if I didn't already know it
smiles.gif

abbyquack

I can't say that Lustres are my favorite, but I find them quite useful. I must have a good base like a shadestick, and I often find them to be good as washes of color- Honey Lust, Gleam are my go-tos. And Magnetic Fields is quite lovely. Now, as for the lustres in the Fafi Quad (the yellow and green ones), those are hopeless, both because they are ugly, useless colors! lol. But I like lustres just fine.

aleksis210

I only hate forgery! It's a f*cking joke! Also, I never would have guessed that Aquadisiac was a lustre! Completely different texture!

Latest posts