Why does everybody hate lustres?!

Meryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly
For me, it's the lack of color payoff...aka the cocktease of eyeshadows. I see an awesome color and then it doesnt look good.

Also, the glittery, disco ball mess. Blargh.

I couldn't have said it better!

SparklingWaves

I feel that I am drawn to certain textures & colors in eye shadows.

Apparently, the lustres have never had any certain magnetism in those regards. I don't "hate" the product. I just find others more to my fancy.
smiles.gif

hr44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelyanaphonexia
I am probably one of the only people who bought, uses and likes Idol Eyes. It just looks pretty on, and I've never had trouble applying it. :shrug: All of the other lustres I have are also awesome.
greengrin.gif
They are glitter, sparkly, fun and glittery. Must. Have. Glitter.
greengrin.gif

Me too! Funny thing is my brother bought me swimming and Idol eyes for my bday last year (bc he has this thing of NO to gift cards) ... and I love them.

I have a handful of lustres... I'm a happy fan. It took me a while to find a way to work them to my liking and now I'm hooked. =)

MacPinkFlamingo

I have to add to the official transcript of my feelings about Lustres...
winks.gif

I LOVE glitter and discoball tacky goodness (I don't even care about fallout all that much)! That is not my complaint about the Lustre finish, it is the fact that when applied the magic from the pan doesn't make it to my eye lid. Perhaps it is my application skill, or even my face that is the problem, but whatever it is Lustres don't usually perform the way I expect MAC shadows to. I am underwhelmed by their performance, and confused by the inconsistent textures between shades. I have very, very few criticisms of MAC products, but this is one of them. Believe you me, it takes SEVERAL failed chances for me to consider that a product from MAC is not the very best.

hotmodelchiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly
For me, it's the lack of color payoff...aka the cocktease of eyeshadows. I see an awesome color and then it doesnt look good.

Also, the glittery, disco ball mess. Blargh.

I agree
thmbdn.gif
I only use them when Im going for a light look I like Satins, and Veluxe Pearls

pollymc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy
some of them are alright by me, like retrospeck and tempting...but the inconsistency in the lustre finish really irritates me. i saw filament at my counter and it looked gorgeous, but when i ordered it online i got a pot that was full of giant disco ball glitters. i guess it just depends on the batch, but i really think that for $14.50 per, the finish should be consistent.

I have to agree about the inconsistency thing. I only have a few lustres (idol eyes, honey lust and aquadisiac) and idol eyes and honey lust are filled with glittery chunks and fallout, whereas aquadisiac is more like a satin or velvet finish but doesn't have that great a color payoff for me.

It's for this reason that lustre's are now the LAST e/s I go to if I'm choosing something new.

LMD84

i only have one lustre whihc is gleam which i love! i use it as a highlight, but that said i can see why people son't like normal colours in lustre as it's very shimmery and yes there is fallout!

Susanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelyanaphonexia
I am probably one of the only people who bought, uses and likes Idol Eyes. It just looks pretty on, and I've never had trouble applying it. :shrug: All of the other lustres I have are also awesome.
greengrin.gif
They are glitter, sparkly, fun and glittery. Must. Have. Glitter.
greengrin.gif

No! One more Idol Eyes user here!
greengrin.gif

Susanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther27
I also happen to like lustres.They work fine for me,plus I use other textures with them
thmbup.gif
I loveeee glitter and shimmer
choochoo.gif

true.gif

I'm not the biggest lustre fan. Im huge on MAtte's. I wish they come out with another matte2 collection. But anyway the reason I'm not big on the lustre's is the glitter. I mean I would pick a velvet, and a frost before lustre but thats just my person taste. I do of course have my set of lustre's for clients or because you cant be close minded with MU.So I cheer for matte anything.

Shadowy Lady

I don't really like the lustres because as other ppl said it, they are not very easy to work with and also they definitly have a lot more fallout than other textures. That being said, I do like some lustres that I have (Aquadisiac, Mythology and some of the older LE ones like Lusterleaf)...I HATE Sweet Lust, worst MAC e/s ever!

amber_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyquack
Now, as for the lustres in the Fafi Quad (the yellow and green ones), those are hopeless, both because they are ugly, useless colors! lol.

I'm still trying to get that darn quad to work for me! Those were some of the worst MAC e/s I've used. Glittery fallout everywhere. But other Lustres like Tempting are gorgeous.

ledonatella

I don't, I find with a good base (my fave is LM Metallic Cream shadows) they stay rather well, I've never had a problem with fallout yet. They are not as soft as say a frost or VP but I do like them just fine.