Winter Coats: Peacoats to Puffers!

supermodella

What do you guys think is the best winter coat for Fall/Winter 2009?

I just ordered a black peacoat from Forever 21 a couple days ago and I'm excited to get it. I think puffers only look nice in the style of those long Ralph Lauren types. Trenchcoats are also kind of cute, but I think peacoats are definitely mine this year. :]

gildedangel

I love peacoats! They are in style every year, I have had one of mine for 3 years now and I always get compliments!

xsnowwhite

I have a plaid peacoat from forever 21 also and I love it. But, I do love puffer coats too...It get's so freakin cold here and I feel that those tend to be warmer. Mine isn't that puffy though with like the quilted look and it isn't shiny or anything but it's a puffy roxy snow coat . So I guess I say both, lol but only because its necessary!

mern

i need a peacoat under a thick winter jacket, i live in northern alberta where the temperature reaches -40 and up to -55 with a wind chill.

supermodella

Quote:
Originally Posted by mern
i need a peacoat under a thick winter jacket, i live in northern alberta where the temperature reaches -40 and up to -55 with a wind chill.

Wow, that's amazing. How do you survive living there?! I thought 30 degrees was cold. Do you like it anyway?

Shadowy Lady

I would go with peacoat too, it's the classiest shape. My personal fave is military style though. I bought a red one last year that I know I'll wear a lot this year too

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermodella
Wow, that's amazing. How do you survive living there?! I thought 30 degrees was cold. Do you like it anyway?

She's using degree Celsius. 30deg F = -1deg C is summer for us here, lol. In Ottawa it goes down to -30 to -40 even and we still survive
yes.gif

aziajs

I think it depends on where you live and how mild/severe the weather is. The winters here are brutal so it's not an issue of fashion as much as function. I bought an AMAZING Eddie Bauer men's winter coat a couple of years ago and it's one of the best investments I have ever made. It's a down coat that comes down to my knees and is wind resistant and water resistant.

banana1234

i'm not sure if its relevant but in england at the moment, in places like topshop (which i think u have stateside now) they have quite a few macs (trench coats) with belts etc, bike leather jackets, and quite a few military inspired blue or black jackets/coats

but a peacoat will always be usable, what ever the fashion

hello_kitty

All my life, I've had massive Columbia coats that were uber thick because I lived in Wyoming, where -40*F with a -55*F or lower wind chill occurs several times a year, so I'm partial to those. Now that I live in NJ I have been able to purchase milder coats that are a bit more fashionable to wear out when I don't want to look like I'm going on an arctic exploration.

I have a nice black wool/cashmere pea coat, and then last year I found at Limited Too for $12 a knee length red one on sale that is adorable! Their XL size fits me, and I couldn't pass up a deal like that, even if it was from a kids' store.

kaliraksha

I have a black peacoat that I've had and used for 7 years, then I add trendier jackets to my collection every winter once they go on sale.

Since I live in a place where I don't get much use of my jacket I'm looking for a jewel toned satin material peacoat or trench coat this year. I'm hoping the satin will make it more of a light weight jacket, which I need here more often. I'm looking for bright red, deep emerald, bright deep blue, or royal purple. So if anyone has some ideas of where to find them I'd love some leads =)

InspiredBlue

A trench as a winter coat? Haha... I'm wearing one now in september.

I have a cute vintage black wool coat with a mink collar waiting in my closet for when it starts getting colder. But once it's really cold, only fur will do. Or, well, ok, one of those polar expedition style jackets would work too, but they're not exactly chic.
smiles.gif

supermodella

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana1234
i'm not sure if its relevant but in england at the moment, in places like topshop (which i think u have stateside now) they have quite a few macs (trench coats) with belts etc, bike leather jackets, and quite a few military inspired blue or black jackets/coats

but a peacoat will always be usable, what ever the fashion

Oh wow, I wish there was a Topshop here! It's extremely expensive to order online there, so I try to get the best deals at places like Forever 21. :]

MizzVivaGlam

I think I want a cute puffer this year lol. Either black, pink, or white. I have a really nice pair of quilted wedge furry boots that will look so cute with one.

cupcake_x

Peacoats are very classic and like Tish mentioned, they can be dressed up or down. Puffy jackets are slightly more sporty and casual, IMO. So I guess it just depends.

I wear peacoats around November.. When it starts getting very cold I break out the down coat!!