WOC - Benefit

TheTeenageMuse

Hmm, I'd prefer to keep using MUFE Aqua Creams or MAC paint pots which I adore but maybe I'll pickup one of their Creaseless shadows. I like the idea of them being multifunctional.

None of the boxes have worked for me, that I'm sure of.

But I think i'll take the plunge and get moonbeam/highbeam and benetint.

Blushbaby

I have no love for this brand. I went to an event hosted by them a few weeks back and as I looked around the Benefit store wondered "Why am I here?! Nothing in here suits me".

I bought Highbeam, Benetint and Brow Zings (which dried up and turned into a rock!) years ago and they were all sold/disposed of after a couple of months.

RedRibbon

I went to an event hosted by them a few months ago which came about as many of the UK based WOC bloggers were talking about how Benefit products weren't suitable for our skintones.

I turned up at the event along with many other bloggers and the Benefit makeup artist started applying makeup to a WOC model. I only point out that the model was a WOC as it was an event aimed at us ladies so it would make sense to have a WOC model.

Anyway, I had high hopes for the event. I was hoping that perhaps they would either a)show us new products that were aimed at the WOC market or b)that they would show us how we can apply their products and get a decent payoff.

I was quite let down when all the makeup artist did was shade the model's brows in, apply some mascara and a blusher which really didn't suit her skin. She also applied a lipstick/lipgloss combo but left it at that. The makeup she applied didn't really do much to change anyone's mind (we did discuss this). I was expecting the model have eyeshadow applied to her lids as this has happened at nearly every other makeup event I have been to (aimed at bloggers).

Quite a shame really but I did find that their lipglosses are very pigmented..as are they creaseless shadows. They really don't budge all day but only a few of hte shades from the range are suitable for us. I like Get Figgy the best.

Also, I know I sound quite ungrateful but I do appreciate the gesture that they took time out to have an event for WOC but I do wish it had been a bit better thought out..

shontay07108

Benefit is a joke to me. They have cutesy names, but they just don't cut it. I also think everything looks pretty cheap. The only decent product they have are the crease shadows in the pots. They are ok, but not great. The brand just turns me off after I've tried many times to like it. I put it in the same boat as Smashbox when it comes to products actually performing. I call Smashbox, Benefit and Stila the trio of fail at my Sephora.

RedRibbon

Benefit is a joke to me. They have cutesy names, but they just don't cut it. I also think everything looks pretty cheap. The only decent product they have are the crease shadows in the pots. They are ok, but not great. The brand just turns me off after I've tried many times to like it. I put it in the same boat as Smashbox when it comes to products actually performing. I call Smashbox, Benefit and Stila the trio of fail at my Sephora.

I do like Benefit's Gilded pencil but then again, you can find a pencil like that quite easily.

Re. Smashbox and Stila, I find they're hit and miss. I have a Smashbox stripy shadow set (five strips of shadow) and also a quad. The quad is really pigmented but the stripy one is terrible. The same is true of Stila, I have their quad which I find is really pigmented but a lot of their shadows are hit and miss.

I quite like how pigmented the Benefit glosses are though, that was a pleasant surprise!

afulton

The ladies at the counter are SOOO nice, but unfortunately, no. The products aren't friendly to darker skin...

I thought this too! Due to the hype of their products, I keep trying to give them a go but could never find anything flattering to my skin tone. The blushes are ashy to me. The only one that worked was Bella Bamba but I have so many other similar one I didn't see the need to splurge on it.

I was trying the High Beam highlighter but it disappears in my skin. The Erase Paste is another story. :-( I just wish they would consider brown girls a little more.

Curly1908

Everything I've swatched from that line has been crappola on my skin so I don't even pay attention to blogger swatches. Plus I find it weird that they use so many images of people on their products yet none of the images are even slightly diverse.

I'll stick with Nars, Urban Decay, and Lorac when I'm itching to drop cash at Sephora for makeup, lol.

crazeddiva

I live and die by the BadGal eye products! Mascara, liners, love it! The only lip porduct i can use is the Benetint Lip Balm.

But as a NW45, most of the products just don't work with me.

Vixxan

You are right on point with this one. Smashbox is just bad all around. Stila is hit and miss, miss, miss. Benefit cream shadows are awesome and that's it.

femmepastiche

Interesting some of you REALLY don't like Benefit...I find the exact opposite is true for me, and I wish I had much a lot more money to spend on this brand. I used to own a lot more Benefit about 5-6 years ago, when a lot of products like theirs weren't available in drugstores and drugstore makeup was still nowhere near where it is now. I had Dandelion and loved it, and I still have the Gilded, High Brow, and Eyebright pencils and love them, though I do admit you can find NYX [or other] dupes for all of them. That being said, I still absolutely love their cream shadows, their lipsticks, eyeshadows, Hello Flawless powder, Powdeflage, High Beam is great but there are other, better highlighters, I like Hoola for what it is but prefer cream bronzers for contouring, and, my two favorites - their Porefessional Primer and Erase Paste. Porefessional is one of the only primers thick enough to cover my big-ass, stubborn, blackheads, and Erase paste works amazing over it - on acne spots and under eyes. I also remember loving the Boi-Ing concealer when I used to wear it.

Kind of random, but I've always had amazing luck at their brow bar, and the benefit reps who've helped me have been nothing but nice.

BrownEy3d

A lot of their products arent WOC friendly, HOWEVER, they do have some shining stars, like their creaseless cream shadows, and what I've most recently tried (and am loving), their velvet eyeshadows. The e/s' are silky and pigmented!

reesesilverstar

Their creaseless shadows may be standouts, but I'm making it a point not to buy any products from them. They're not reaching out to my demographic, so I'm not reaching out my credit card to them... Period...

DJ_Roxas

You're not the only one. I only buy the Brow Zings Powder and the BadGal Waterproof Mascara and regular Mascara. I wish they would aim for a WOC demographic like they used to. I just wondered what happened to that with Benefit.
Their creaseless shadows may be standouts, but I'm making it a point not to buy any products from them. They're not reaching out to my demographic, so I'm not reaching out my credit card to them... Period...

cocofiere

I used to work for the brand (2010-11) and none of the product they gave me when I started (Hoola, a Get Even powder, etc) looked good on me. The concealer (3 is the darkest shade) was horrendous on my skin tone and the powder made me look like a corpse. So, I wore other brands (including drugstore) when working and got rid of all my freebies at random. Bella Bamba didn't rock my world nor did Girl Meets Pearl (okay but overpriced and over-hyped). The original Bad Gal is cool but it dries out rather quickly for $19. I'm a little lighter than NC 50 most of the year and NC 50 in summer, if that helps. They dropped the darker shades they had in the early 2000's (I worked the counter sometimes back then as well) and the undertones in the newer "supposedly brown girl-friendly" shades give us gray face. My money goes elsewhere.
2cents.gif

KaytieBaybie

I don't even look at Benefit like that. When WOC are asked about their go to brands I hear MAC, Bobbi Brown, NARS e.g. Benefit never even comes up. It's unfortunate that Benefit as a department store brand is still limited. I'm no business major but common sense says if you open up options to ALL skintones you'll make more money and those women will rave about your brand causing other women to want to try it...duh Benefit.