WoC - Can we pull of a vampire look? (ie. Twilight..)

allThingsGirl

Don't hate me for liking the Twilight series.
smiles.gif

But, how do you think a WoC would fit into the movie as a vampire? The whole cast of vampires seems to be made up of the pale white that could go blond type person.

NOT that I want to be pale white and blonde...but I'd like to know if it look that good for us to go 2 shades lighter with blood like lips and whatever else goes with the vamp/goth look?

Also, how would you do that? Wear a shade or two lighter in foundation? Transparent finishing powder? Do you necessarily have to have goth black hair? etc..

What do you think?
smiles.gif

Arisone

As a WOC I believe we can pull it off. I wish I would see more WOC (especially Black and Asian) dressing as goths, punks, and vampires. If I was going for the vampire look I would try to mimic Aaliyah's look in Queen of The Damned. I loved how her skin had a golden sheen and the eye makeup didn't look too bad either. I didn't care for the makeup used on the vamps from Twilight. I thought their makeup looked terrible (like baby powder used as foundation).

blazeno.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisone
As a WOC I believe we can pull it off. I wish I would see more WOC (especially Black and Asian) dressing as goths, punks, and vampires. If I was going for the vampire look I would try to mimic Aaliyah's look in Queen of The Damned. I loved how her skin had a golden sheen and the eye makeup didn't look too bad either. I didn't care for the makeup used on the vamps from Twilight. I thought their makeup looked terrible (like baby powder used as foundation).

Do you know about the Harijuku district of Japan? Even if you're familiar with it, check out "Gothic Lolita".
Don't know too much about twilight, but I think the main thing about people who are goth and do their makeup well... they don't fight the natural color of their skin. A lot of the goths I know don't wear powder to lighten themselves. If anything we darken our hair or color it but not always.
The queen of the damned look is ok. I really like to focus on creating strong, but smooth shadows.

dominichulinda

when they describe the twilight character's in the book "The Cullen's" = the epitome of beauty.

Their make-up in the movie (minus the white powder *they complained about that too ...so for the new movie coming out later on this year they should look much better *more $$$, better products*) was pretty natural looking nothing dramatic at all.

elongreach

I think it's possible. I believe they did a lot of contouring and instead of using white, we would probably be a pale brown powder complextion.

stronqerx

In twilight, there was only one african american vampire, Laurent.
2w57wc3.jpg

To me they didn't really do anything special to show that he was a vampire, except for the contacts. I do agree that the make up for the rest of the vampires in twilight was horrible. In one of the scenes, you see Edward's neck being really red and his face is so white its gray. There's an obvious line of foundation. Also in one scene on Esme, had a spot on her forehead where the foundation wasn't applied. I think If anything for Laurent they should of applied some type of powder over him to make him look a little bit pale.

allThingsGirl

Thanks for the suggestions ladies!

I forgot about Laurent, but you're right, there doesn't really seem to be anything done to him -- if I didn't know that was a scene from the movie, he could have been anything and not really a vampire.

I was trying to figure out how to do the makeup to look like a vampire/goth without the crazy outfits. I imagine if I could pull off walking around in the Queen of the Damned outfit, the last thing people would be looking at would be my makeup.
smiles.gif
But, I agree, she does look pretty sweet in there.

Seems like in the Twilight movie, they dressed like "high schoolers" but still looked a tad vamp/goth. I'm curious to see how they will look in the next movie without the white powder.

I have seen pix of people in the Harujuki district but don't know about "Gothic Lolita". I'll have to check it out, thanks for the suggestion!

Hm..I'm trying to remember if there are any WoC in the "Underworld" series...

cocomia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stronqerx
In twilight, there was only one african american vampire, Laurent.
2w57wc3.jpg

To me they didn't really do anything special to show that he was a vampire, except for the contacts. I do agree that the make up for the rest of the vampires in twilight was horrible. In one of the scenes, you see Edward's neck being really red and his face is so white its gray. There's an obvious line of foundation. Also in one scene on Esme, had a spot on her forehead where the foundation wasn't applied. I think If anything for Laurent they should of applied some type of powder over him to make him look a little bit pale.

Yes, Esme's foundation wasn't blended too well in the movie! It's especially noticeable if you see it in the cinema (than if seen on TV) as the face is magnified so much!

cocomia

I don't think that the pale look will really work for us but a matte smoky look (and light colored contacts on eyes) and a pale lip might be a better option for the goth look for WOC. Or if you want to be slightly more extreme, then dark eyes and dark lips might be a good option for you too.

I'm curious about this, I think it might be a beautiful look, verrrry glam.
smiles.gif
Please post a picture when you've tried it out!

doomkitteh

What about salma hayek in dusk till dawn. I used to do goth-type makeup but I didn't do a lighter shade or anything, more of a golden bronzed face look is good, with dark lips and eyes.

mehrunissa

I think the vampire look that we're used to seeing in movies (pale, bloodless skin and the reddish lips) wouldn't work on people of color. As lame as the makeup was on the white vampires in Twilight, imagine how much shittier it would have been if the same methods had been used on the guy who played Laurent. He would've just looked ashy.

We have to reinterpret the look for ourselves. What would our complexion look like if blood was no longer pumping through our veins, etc. Or use your imagination and make up your own idea of what vampire of color would look like!

Khymeira

You're damn right we can!

khykhylaaal.jpg

kkk.jpg

Haha, pardon my tranny vibes! It can't be helped with my awful bone structure! Lol!

To me, the vampy look is not necessarily epitomized by that pale skin. If that were the case, chances are, death would bring the darker complexion into icky shades of grey. And who wants that?

Nonetheless, I've always been heavily intrigued by the alternative scene. As Mehrunissa said, it's about personal, ethnic interpretation.

Khymeira

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomkitteh
Khymeira! what is that awesome lip colour you use ^

It took me a long time to find a vampy shade that wasn't ruined by brown or purple undertones. But it's actually Maybelline's Moisture Extreme lipstick in a shade called "Midnight Red (e215)" which provided a nice enough base. Then I used Iman's Luxury Lip Shine in "Brazen", which makes it unforgivably crimson!

I'm afraid I don't yet have the lipstick down pat, as this is my first time experimenting with lipstick publicly, but I think I did it decently.

allThingsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khymeira

To me, the vampy look is not necessarily epitomized by that pale skin. If that were the case, chances are, death would bring the darker complexion into icky shades of grey. And who wants that?

Wow, these are wonderful pix. Thanks for posting! I love your makeup here.
smiles.gif

doomkitteh

I must try that Maybelline colour, I only have browny-red and purply dark colours. Reds tend to make me look like a hot mess.

Curly1908

I think we can, but as others say --> the super pale look just looks ashy on us.

I think a WOC vampire look should consist of TONS of highlighting. That way, you could get the "paleness", but in an iridescent/warm way that wouldn't look ashy. Smokey eyes, falsies, winged liner + blood red lips and you're done!

Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khymeira
You're damn right we can!

khykhylaaal.jpg

kkk.jpg

Haha, pardon my tranny vibes! It can't be helped with my awful bone structure! Lol!

Nonetheless, I've always been heavily intrigued by the alternative scene. As Mehrunissa said, it's about personal, ethnic interpretation.

*GASP!* That two-toned lip is so hot. I am definitely going to try that one of these days. Thanks for posting those images, it was inspiring.