WOC: MAC "Rodarte"

shy_makeup_girl

All the MES for me, please
greengrin.gif
maybeeeeeee the BP

sss215

i need to see the swatches, but the bordertown MES sounds good so far. I am interested in the face charts, to see what i can recreate. looks like its going to be alot of dark eyes and pale lips, easily do able with stuff i already have.

spectrolite

I'm interested in Bordertown MES and Factory Nail Lacquer. This seems like a "pale" collection like Danse. Not too much appeals to me as I prefer bolder colours on myself.

Curly1908

According to Erine, the l/g for this collection are those same tri-coloured ones like from Sugarsweet -- which I hate so I'll be skipping the glosses for SURE.

That leaves just:
Juarez n/l
Factory n/l

blazeno.8

I was really excited about this collection when it first hit the presses, but after doing a little more reading, I can't say that I can get behind it. I guess whether or not I decide to buy something from this collection will depend for the most part on what MAC has to say in response to inquiries that were made about naming controversy surrounding the collection.

miss_primer

I don't think I am going to get anything. After seeing photos of the items I was excited for the collection but thats what happens when any new info or photos are seen. I really was interested in the blush and beauty powder and the pink lipstick in the collection. From Erin's swatches I don't think the beauty powder will show up on me at all and if it does it may make me look chalky...lol. I think the colors are stuff we have seen before. I am more caught up in the ITG collection anyways to think about anything else.

sss215

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeno.8
I was really excited about this collection when it first hit the presses, but after doing a little more reading, I can't say that I can get behind it. I guess whether or not I decide to buy something from this collection will depend for the most part on what MAC has to say in response to inquiries that were made about naming controversy surrounding the collection.

temptalia has a few statements about it on her blog now

MAC for Rodarte Collection for Fall 2010 + Official Statements

DILLIGAF

Like I said in the other thread. PASS! At first it was because I couldn't fathom how this collection would work for me. After reading up on the boardertown situation in Juarez I can't ethically get behind this. I'm glad that MAC has listened to the outcry surrounding this and will donate something.

BadBadGirl

^My sentiments exactly. I am happy they will do their part and I hope they can help save the lives of some of the women out there. This is the first time I heard about what was going on in Juarez unfortunately.

misha5150

this collection is a PASS for me.

Edited to Add: Not only will colors wont work for my complexion, I am just disgusted with the horrible concept of this collection, period. MAC needs to donate 100% of the profits from this collection not a measly 100K. Someone at MAC obviously didn't do their research about Jaurez and thought that naming the products, "Factory, Quincenera, Sleepwalker, Sleepless, etc." was a great idea. Idiots. I swear, I'm about this close to becoming anti-MAC. Especially after all the B.S. they're pulling with this years collections, (sending only 5 or so highly coveted LE products to counters; restocking all ombre blushes EXCEPT Ripe Peach, etc.) !!!!!!
angry.gif

bkgirl03

I will definitely PASS on this collection. First, on a moral standpoint. Second, because none of the product look appealing.

pumpkiano

I'm definatly gona PASS on this collection too, it's such an awful way to market make-up! They seem to be taking the piss!

TheTeenageMuse

This whole collections looks like its only going to work on pale people *Grumble, grumble, grumble* It won't even look good on Latin skin tones. -.-
I might just get the lip-erase.

Andrew

I think many people will pass on this collection, the controversy surrounding it has blown right up in MAC's face. Frankly to market anything using names that are taken and inspired from people and who are living in fear and suffering beggers belief..

Fashion makes some terrible mistakes but this one is ghastly..I wont add anything further the bloggers have done that already other than to say the women who have either been raped, murdered, mutilated deserve every single penny of the profits from this range to assist them and better their lives..Remember these women are wives, mothers, sisters and daughters of somone and whilst we may not be directly involoved with them it does not mean we should forget them or their suffering..

Can you imagine the uproar if MAC had come up with a 9/11 range or a Holocaust Range..Just beacuse the women and workers of Juarez are far removed from most peoples lives does not lessen their importance.

The only good thing that can see coming from this is that awareness of these womens plights have hit center stage and have a huge spotlight shining on them..though I sincerely doubt that was the thought process when the creative team came up with this range..

Andrew

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
I think many people will pass on this collection, the controversy surrounding it has blown right up in MAC's face. Frankly to market anything using names that are taken and inspired from people and who are living in fear and suffering beggers belief..

Fashion makes some terrible mistakes but this one is ghastly..I wont add anything further the bloggers have done that already other than to say the women who have either been raped, murdered, mutilated deserve every single penny of the profits from this range to assist them and better their lives..Remember these women are wives, mothers, sisters and daughters of somone and whilst we may not be directly involoved with them it does not mean we should forget them or their suffering..

Can you imagine the uproar if MAC had come up with a 9/11 range or a Holocaust Range..Just beacuse the women and workers of Juarez are far removed from most peoples lives does not lessen their importance.

The only good thing that can see coming from this is that awareness of these womens plights have hit center stage and have a huge spotlight shining on them..though I sincerely doubt that was the thought process when the creative team came up with this range..

Andrew

While I agree with people's reaction against this collection because of it's insensitivity, I have to say that the bolded isn't quite a fair or accurate analogy (and neither are a lot of the ones that have been made in the official Rodarte thread). The Rodarte Fall/Winter collection (clothing) was inspired by the dress of the female factory workers in Juarez. The MAC collection is inspired by the Rodarte collection. It's insensitive because the designers are drawing inspiration from the dress of poor women in a terrible situation and who live in a dangerous environment and (seemingly) ignoring the inherent link. Nowhere have I read that inspiration for the collection was drawn directly from the violent situation happening there and if you have read that somewhere I would genuinely appreciate the link as I would like to read it as well.

I read a better comparison on a blog where a poster said she felt the same reservation about this collection as she did when another designer produced a collection inspired by the homeless. I'd say it's akin to being inspired by the ragged and tattered clothing of refugees that one might have seen on a recent trip to Sudan and then name products things like "Darfur" or "Wasteland". It's not inspired by the genocide but by the dress of those affected by it and while I am by no means excusing the tactlessness of both of the collections, I think it's a leap to suggest that these women were inspired by the rape, mutilation and murder of other women and then to compare it a collection inspired by the Holocaust or 9/11.

Andrew

Thats a fair comment which I accept wholeheartedly. Yes MAC did take their inspiration from the Fashion house Rodarte you are quite right but I still think they should, given their public awareness stance, have done their research and distanced themselves as far as possible from this.

Good point beautifully expressed.

Andrew

Latest posts